0BE95177-C2DC-447A-8F46-7F54A9D5B507.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 28

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if you had a comment or question about that Brightwell product, but it is proof that Brightwell does not understand their own products and what they do.
Obviously the hydroxide in it boosts alkalinity, contrary to the Brightwell claim.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about a product by brightwell. It has potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, and claims to not affect KH or calcium or you used too much. Why is potassium hydroxide bad? I was using Kalk but it raise CA too high. I tried this product because I used other brightwell products with success do you consider snake oil. It does control PH very well I got to say and i can almost precisely control it with it.

Ah, now I see your other post that was on a previous page on my phone.

It is a high pH alk supplement. It is presumably mostly sodium hydroxide and a little potassium hydroxide in an appropriate ratio to prevent a potassium spike.

Unless one is very closely monitoring potassium to be sure it doesn’t rise too much, sodium hydroxide is a far better ultra high pH alk supplement than pure potassium hydroxide, and there are several threads where I discuss diy two part recipes using it. The Brightwell product is also likely ok in this application, but it is, IMO, mostly just more expensive.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back