Potassium Hydroxide Dosing??

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is screen shots of tm elements a & k which all for reef has both in it.
Possibly more then what's listed in each since it equals 17 trace elements from the website description.
Is that for A & K or the original AFR?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Calcium Reactor & Kalk for the big 3 and maintain traces by individually dosing. That includes Boron, Potassium, and Rubidium. :)

Have you ever looked carefully to see if rubidium does anything apparent? No organism has a known need for rubidium.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Calcium Reactor & Kalk for the big 3 and maintain traces by individually dosing. That includes Boron, Potassium, and Rubidium. :)
Therefore if you ran all for reef you would still have to dose 2 out of 3 of those. All for reef is simply a powder form of effluent that you mix up and dose instead of having to deal with the co2, media, reactor, probe, controller co2 valve ect. Only need a container and dose pump.

That's the simplest way for me to explain the benefits of all for reef. Cost can probably be equal to a calcium reactor long term.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that for A & K or the original AFR?
Those are k&a which are components of all for reef.

I use the powder and those are listed as ingredients.

Also the diy mix was really produced by tropic marin, not brs, and those are 2 of the 4 ingredients.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever looked carefully to see if rubidium does anything apparent? No organism has a known need for rubidium.

To be honest Randy, I know most of the results people talk about are anecdotal. I haven’t had anything to really compare it to yet. I’ve seen several pics and it does appear to increase the fluffiness of LPS quite a bit. I only have one LPS (Frogspawn) and the rest are all Acro’s. Does this Frogspawn look fluffier than my previous ones? Ah…maybe a little, but that’s probably because I have the tank dialed in tighter than I’ve ever had it before. It’s hard to say. It would be nice if somebody had a LPS only tank that didn’t dose Rubidium and then started it up and took before and after pics.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are k&a which are components of all for reef.

I use the powder and those are listed as ingredients.

Also the diy mix was really produced by tropic marin, not brs, and those are 2 of the 4 ingredients.

What is in regular All for Reef?

This is straight off the BRS website. Is this accurate? If it is…it’s lacking Boron, Potassium, and Rubidium.?

In addition to the calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium, All-For-Reef comes pre-mixed with the same elements used in their Trace A and Trace K

A- ELEMENTS - contains anions of the trace elements bromine, fluorine, iodine, lithium, molybdenum, selenium and vanadium in pure mineral form
K+ ELEMENTS - contains cations of the trace elements barium, chrome, cobalt, iron, copper, manganese, nickel, strontium and zinc in pure mineral form

9D3E732B-64FF-4843-A346-66A1BB74EA23.jpeg

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is straight off the BRS website. Is this accurate? If it is…it’s lacking Boron, Potassium, and Rubidium.?

In addition to the calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium, All-For-Reef comes pre-mixed with the same elements used in their Trace A and Trace K

A- ELEMENTS - contains anions of the trace elements bromine, fluorine, iodine, lithium, molybdenum, selenium and vanadium in pure mineral form
K+ ELEMENTS - contains cations of the trace elements barium, chrome, cobalt, iron, copper, manganese, nickel, strontium and zinc in pure mineral form

Yes I attached the product in a and k already above I believe Boron is in one though. And yes both a&k are part of the ingredients in all for reef.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728-164252_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220728-164252_Chrome.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20220728-164214_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220728-164214_Chrome.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 22

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boron

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728-211318_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220728-211318_Chrome.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 26

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I attached the product in a and k already above I believe Boron is in one though. And yes both a&k are part of the ingredients in all for reef.

I wonder why BRS doesn’t list that as ingredients in AFR? Do you think that’s a typo?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does have Boron on the TM website:

organic calcium salts, salts of magnesium, strontium and trace elements (barium, boron, bromine, chrome,iron, fluorine, iodine, cobalt, copper, lithium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, selenium, strontium, vanadium and zinc)

Just doesn’t have Potassium or Rubidium.

Or…

Antimony, Beryllium, Bismuth, Cerium, Cesium, Dysprosium, Erbium, Europium, Gadolinium, Gallium, Germanium, Gold, Hafnium, Holmium, Indium, Iridium, Lutetium, Neodymium, Niobium, Osmium, Palladium, Platinum, Praseodymium, Rhenium, Rhodium, Ruthenium, Samarium, Scandium, Tantalum, Tellurium, Terbium, Thulium, Thorium, Tungsten, Ytterbium, Yttrium, & Zirconium.

I guess the method I'm using has a little more. :)

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

organic calcium salts, salts of magnesium, strontium and trace elements (barium, boron, bromine, chrome,iron, fluorine, iodine, cobalt, copper, lithium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, selenium, strontium, vanadium and zinc)

Or…

Antimony, Beryllium, Bismuth, Cerium, Cesium, Dysprosium, Erbium, Europium, Gadolinium, Gallium, Germanium, Gold, Hafnium, Holmium, Indium, Iridium, Lutetium, Neodymium, Niobium, Osmium, Palladium, Platinum, Praseodymium, Rhenium, Rhodium, Ruthenium, Samarium, Scandium, Tantalum, Tellurium, Terbium, Thulium, Thorium, Tungsten, Ytterbium, Yttrium, & Zirconium.

And what method has those? Are you testing each to verify your dosing isn't over or under for each?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or…

Water changes..... takes care of these

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm sure you've heard me say this before, but I've always gotten a kick out of the fact that Tropic Marin K+ elements does not contain the element K+. lol

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nonsense. There is zero misunderstanding on our part.

If there is a mix-up, he was making it and he expanded on the "reasons" why it is true (despite being a bogus statement).

Read exactly what he wrote that was posted above. Does that seem like he was referring to potassium hydroxide? Of course not.

1658271471566.png

I have a question about a product by brightwell. It has potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, and claims to not affect KH or calcium or you used too much. Why is potassium hydroxide bad? I was using Kalk but it raise CA too high. I tried this product because I used other brightwell products with success do you consider snake oil. It does control PH very well I got to say and i can almost precisely control it with it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back