Power Center Project with Automation

lofty78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just joined up here... been on the "other guys" forum for over 10 years and frankly, it's just too slow... anyways. I am looking for some ideas for my next project. I am upgrading my power source to a 20 amp GFI and changing out the breaker to a 20 amp for the fish room. I bought an ADJ Power panel and a 300w rack mount back up battery (just to run my main little giant pump if there is a short power outage) I am also planning to integrate my lighting by using timers with my home alarm system, (Front Point Security) This alarm is cellular based and I can add as many electrical control, video monitoring and water sensing modules as I want and control it all from the web, or my Android Phone (Almost Identically to an Aqua controller, without the probe capabilities and charting.... I am looking for ideas on how to integrate the American DJ power panel and the UPS with out it being too unsightly...my idea is to get a small treasure chest like box with a lid and install them on the left side of the tank... see photos:

IMG_5327_zpse97ee048.jpg

IMG_6499.jpg

Note: The Wicker Basket is full, so I am planning to put the Treasure Chest in it's place and move the basket over to the wall on the left, but am trying to not look too cluttered.

Greg@LionfishLair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use them, and have simply installed them under our stands like a "rack mounted" bank of switches (I'll try to remember to shoot a quick shot when I get home).

If you go with a remote box, you might consider bundling your cables, and maybe even using those black corrugated "cable covers" to keep everything looking good.

OP
OP
lofty78

lofty78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am concerned about putting them under the stand due to the amount of salt creep that has collected on my ballasts which I also plan to move., but I would defiantly bundle the cables... and I am considering hiding them in a box that mimics the base trim, that way it is almost invisible from the front. I encourage pictures though... any input is greatly appreciated!! :D

Dave A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading my power source to a 20 amp GFI and changing out the breaker to a 20 amp for the fish room.
Just a word of caution, and you may already be aware of this but you didn't mention it. A 20 amp breaker and GFI will require at least 12 ga wiring. If you are replacing a 15 amp breaker and GFI there is a strong probability that the current wiring is only 14 ga. 14 ga wire is rated for only 15 amps and using it with a 20 amp breaker is very dangerous.

OP
OP
lofty78

lofty78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a word of caution, and you may already be aware of this but you didn't mention it. A 20 amp breaker and GFI will require at least 12 ga wiring. If you are replacing a 15 amp breaker and GFI there is a strong probability that the current wiring is only 14 ga. 14 ga wire is rated for only 15 amps and using it with a 20 amp breaker is very dangerous.

I checked with several electricians and because the run to the breaker is only 6 feet if it is only 14 gauge it will still be safe, The location of my tank is conveniently on the otherside of the wall from my electrical, water and sewer main... Ive got the RO/DI and a water change drain in there already :D

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back