Predatory Fish List

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this supposed to list all of the predator fish? Because I'm pretty sure that's gonna be really hard.
Yeah, I think some mixing Predatory with Aggressive...ex: Bluelines are mean and nasty, they bite anything including the owner, but they are not wait to pounce and it as a Bumble Bee Grouper does, or a Stone Fish

Stephen R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get some info on fowlr tank predator aquarium I’m looking to setup I have 120 gal 48x24x24 I will not be putting any corals just rock and will not be getting a bigger tank in the future just don’t have the space and was hoping to get some recommendations on Predator species that would be fine in my size aquarium

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Stephen R I'm not able to do quotes for some reason, I'd like to contribute to your question, but 1st let's get an idea of what you like. As all fish are really predators when you get down to it, the term is thrown around a bit loosely for my liking. As @Nokiaec11 eluded to, a predator tank and an aggressive tank is different yet mixed and interchangeable.

I keep true predator tanks, which mean I feed live foods. Have you read my recent post in the Predator section, you may find this interesting. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/an-arguement-for-feeding-live-foods.582822/#post-5945226

Alot of the predators like the dwarf and medium lions, scorpionfish. waspfish, anglers and such would benefit from live foods and some maybe impossible to keep on dead food foods long term. All of these type of predators can live well in a 120g, mixing them is somewhat tricky but doable.

Now if you are leaning to the aggressive attitude fish, any of the triggers would get too large and aggressive for a 120g. Some of the smaller eels would work. Hawkfish are overlooked and quite deadly, but because of their relatively smaller size would limit you to some other choices.

First off, let's get a direction to what you like.

Stephen R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Stephen R I'm not able to do quotes for some reason, I'd like to contribute to your question, but 1st let's get an idea of what you like. As all fish are really predators when you get down to it, the term is thrown around a bit loosely for my liking. As @Nokiaec11 eluded to, a predator tank and an aggressive tank is different yet mixed and interchangeable.

I keep true predator tanks, which mean I feed live foods. Have you read my recent post in the Predator section, you may find this interesting. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/an-arguement-for-feeding-live-foods.582822/#post-5945226

Alot of the predators like the dwarf and medium lions, scorpionfish. waspfish, anglers and such would benefit from live foods and some maybe impossible to keep on dead food foods long term. All of these type of predators can live well in a 120g, mixing them is somewhat tricky but doable.

Now if you are leaning to the aggressive attitude fish, any of the triggers would get too large and aggressive for a 120g. Some of the smaller eels would work. Hawkfish are overlooked and quite deadly, but because of their relatively smaller size would limit you to some other choices.

First off, let's get a direction to what you like.

I like the niger trigger, blue throat trigger,harlequin tusk, yellow tang, some species of wrasse,

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put the triggers or the harlequin in a 120g. You will be able to find suitable wrasses, some will say the yellow tang would work. In this theme, check out the dwarf angels. You'll get some better responses if you post your likings with the tank size in the Fish Discussion section.

Mickle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantic Tripletail - Lobotes surinamensis
Jack Crevalle - Caranx hippos
Atlantic Spadefish - Chaetodipterus faber

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indigo Hamlet - Hypoplectrus indigo

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back