Purple Hornets

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm you may be right! They are a lot brighter and have a more distinguished ring and color.

Man I need a polyp or two of these bad boys!

Preston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm you may be right! They are a lot brighter and have a more distinguished ring and color.

Man I need a polyp or two of these bad boys!

Also the color on the skirt alternate in color but I think the one in AquaSD are all the same color. I've had my Purple Hornet for a while now.

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm not seeing it guys. aquasd's are the same thing. i look at junior's pics, then i look at aquasd, back and forth, not seeing a difference. alternating fingers in the skirt, same coloring, just junior obviously has better lights so the colors are better.

i think the difference is he wanted 25 at a time, and now they're going for over 300 on ebay. if it makes any difference, he now has em for 75 on ebay :p

same thing.

kerrysroxy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine under T5 10k. If you look at the one from AquaSD it's more like palys then zoas. Plus I think the ring is not well define. Just my opinion...I could be wrong.
2wh1i0m.jpg

give me youe sour apples !!!!!!!!!!!!:snicker:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones from Aqua SD are a little different in color. I have what I consider to be the original Purple Hornets (my wife names them Purple Hornets) and the ones from Aqua SD. The "original" ones are much brighter purple.
The only other person that I have seen that has the original colors Purple Hornets is Marv and of course the people that have gotten them from him and I.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones from Aqua SD are a little different in color. I have what I consider to be the original Purple Hornets (my wife names them Purple Hornets) and the ones from Aqua SD. The "original" ones are much brighter purple.
The only other person that I have seen that has the original colors Purple Hornets is Marv and of course the people that have gotten them from him and I.
Gary you got yours from Casey (bluegrasscorals) right? I got a nice sized frag from him a little over a year ago. I also just got a frag from Aqua sd. I'll try to get a side by side pic up of them. So far they look the same to me.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. I thought you did not purchase them from Casey when he offered? I didnt think he sold them to anyone else and he lost all of his.
I got some from Aqua SD, they were delivered today. The ones that I have had for a while are MUCH more purple. But, as we all know that can contribute to lighting. Mine are under intense lighting.

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the ones from Aqua SD and the ones we have now will look the same after a few months... just my 02. cents... :)

who else out there got a frag from me? I released 4-5 frags last year... :D

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the ones from Aqua SD and the ones we have now will look the same after a few months... just my 02. cents... :)

wish i had, marv. i'd love to have a colony of them. not looking to resell, just to have some nice stuff in the tank :tongue:

it's hard for us suckers to look at you guy's sweet setups, and then have to go home to ours :sad:

:xd:

FOSELONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary...any side by side pics of your purple hornets & the ones from aqua sd ???
pm sent too...

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. I thought you did not purchase them from Casey when he offered? I didnt think he sold them to anyone else and he lost all of his.
I got some from Aqua SD, they were delivered today. The ones that I have had for a while are MUCH more purple. But, as we all know that can contribute to lighting. Mine are under intense lighting.
No I got a few different zoa frags from him including the ones you call purple hornets when he had them available back in Aug of 07. He said the shipment was out of Kupang.

Preston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Gary. ;) You're the man!

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get my hands on some of these. Anyone with them pm me if your selling or trading some polyps.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with this statement of Marvin's, as we all know that polyps tend to morph in one of 2 ways, they either change colors and become something that they were not before hand or the colors intensify and become more vivid.....I honestly think that once in a set-up like ours as opposed to a holding tank and pics taken shortly after they will color up and become the same thing. We all know what good a stable set-up and consistent parameters will do to zoanthids and palys over time.....

I would bet that after a 2-4 month period you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Not to mention the role lighting plays on the colors of a polyp. Take Juniors for example with his T-5 lights from aqua science and how his acans look....I would bet you could put anyone of them in our tanks with our lights and they would look a little different and possibly be not quite as vivid....The same thing will happen with his Purple Hornet frag....

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good chance that they will look the same after a little while. I already sold the 6 heads I got from Aqua SD to someone locally, not as Purple Hornets. The guy that purchased them figured they would color up just light the Purple Hornets so he thought he would take the chance.
Either way, in my opinion the ones from Aqua SD are extremely nice and well worth the money. I also got a couple polyps of the Satans Breath from Aqua SD. Those are awesome! I only hope that they will grow fast.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back