Pyramid butterfly info

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I was wondering if anyone keeps these butterflies because I was thinking of getting a group of them since they aren’t aggressive to each other and supposedly reef safe and easy to keep .. anyone have advise on these fish and they way they behave /eat / etc... ?
Thank you

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hardy, non aggressive and mine were completely reef safe. The only negative I could possibly come up with is they eat....a lot, and therefore produce a lot of waste. If you have the room and the filtration they are a great addition to a reef aquarium!

OP
OP
F

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hardy, non aggressive and mine were completely reef safe. The only negative I could possibly come up with is they eat....a lot, and therefore produce a lot of waste. If you have the room and the filtration they are a great addition to a reef aquarium!

Wow great looking tank + Fish .. yeah I have the room to add it and the filtration and really want butterflies .. my tank is mostly tangs and as much as I love tangs I want something else to compliment them .. they should be alright with tangs correct ?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been keeping groups of them for quite few years now. Generally quite easy and heavy eaters, but they are succeptible to mouth damage during shipping so antibiotic treatments in QT may be necessary. They do well as a group in a large tank. I currently have five.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one in my reef for awhile. The only coral it attacked were xenia polyps. I had read that this might be the case, and it was. Ate them down to little nubbins. Didn't bother me, as xenia grow like weeds. Otherwise it was a model reef citizen.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point, mine ate all my Xenia as well as blue clove polyps ..... a good thing if you ask me. I've kept the black pyramid (Zoster) as well. Similar temperament and care requirements.

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experiences they are very suspectible to fungal infections.
Also I was informed the hawaiian ones are better than the others. Supposed to be healthier and they are brighter in color. Good luck trying to find/get them though

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept them before and had no issues. Beautiful fish.

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have two of them. Great fish. Eat a lot and practically anything. Since you have tangs feeding heavy shouldn't be an issue. In terms of coral compatibility, one of the two does nip my Elegance corals when it gets too hungry. So I have to heavily feed my tank (at least 3 times per day).

Getting healthy ones is key since flukes can be an issue with them. They are quite active when healthy.

Aggression wise they are mild tempered. Only fish I can see going after them in your tank are your Zebramosa. My purple tries to mess with them once in a while. I think it's cause of body shape similarities.

I would get at minimum 2.

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pyramid has been great. He's in a tank with a few corals, not quite a reef yet, but working on it. He's not touched any coral, and is very peaceful. He's out swimming all the time. At feeding time, he turns into a pig. Eats till I stop feeding. I QT'ed him with 2 other butterfly's, a pearlscale and a spotband. No aggression whatsoever.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't handle shipping well, but after they settle become quite hardy.

A plus side is I had one that ate aiptasia.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the black zoster with two regular yellow pyramids. Amazing fish. Always moving amd not aggressive for the most part. My LFS did have a rogue that munched some LPS but far from the norm for them
I was curious about whether one could have black and yellow together. Thanks for mentioning that. My black completely eliminated the Xenia in my tank. No trace of it now. Hasn't touched anything else.

Back