Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all-

I will be setting up a
  • quarantine tank
pretty soon and need some input. What HOB is good for a 20L and what you are using on your set up? I was looking at the Hagen AquaClear 30 but not sure if this is enough.

Thanks,
DJE

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B setup for my QT with a 10gal sump. I run the AquaClear 30 on it with the inTank media basket, mostly just for carbon. I run a skimmer and everything on my QT, but mostly cause I wanted it up long term.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 20L, I wouldn't even worry about finding a skimmer. Small, frequent water changes are a much easier way to go especially if it won't be up and running all the time. A HOB filter with carbon is a good addition, but may have to be pulled offline if dosing any medications.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree...a 20L tank won't need a skimmer. I just threw that out there, haha.

Frequent water changes and siphoning out anything on the bottom will be your best bet with keeping it clean.

OP
OP
DJE

DJE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 20L, I wouldn't even worry about finding a skimmer. Small, frequent water changes are a much easier way to go especially if it won't be up and running all the time. A HOB filter with carbon is a good addition, but may have to be pulled offline if dosing any medications.
I agree...a 20L tank won't need a skimmer. I just threw that out there, haha.
Frequent water changes and siphoning out anything on the bottom will be your best bet with keeping it clean.

Thanks guys. It will only be running when I find my fishes:) So then the AC30 or AC50 will suffice? This will be my first time implamenting this procedure so I want to make sure I have the right equipment, first time around.

BTW, don't know how my first post ended up that way. Must be cause I should be working:)

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, those should be fine for a QT. Just keep in mind that you want to keep the fish in there for ample time to ensure they are healthy. Putting them in there a week and then moving to the DT doesn't really help much. The fish, in reality, should be in the QT for 4-6 weeks.

OP
OP
DJE

DJE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! 4-6 weeks will be my minimum. Thank you for the quick respond!

jstlsn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the AquaClear 30 on my 20L QT. I put the BioMax bag and Foam Filter in the sump of my display to allow bacteria to grow before I move it over to the QT. Also, when I do water changes in my QT I pull the BioMax bag and Foam Filter out and rinse them off in the water I just removed to remove any food that has been trapped.

OP
OP
DJE

DJE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the new fish...keep us updated on how they do :)

I sure will.

I also have the AquaClear 30 on my 20L QT. I put the BioMax bag and Foam Filter in the sump of my display to allow bacteria to grow before I move it over to the QT. Also, when I do water changes in my QT I pull the BioMax bag and Foam Filter out and rinse them off in the water I just removed to remove any food that has been trapped.

Good info, Thanks

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 long QT tank and have an Aquaclear 70 on it. I run it with two sponges.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my 20L with an aqua clear 30. I just use a seeded sponge from my display.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back