OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's $ per gallon sale right now at your local petco you could buy a 10 gal for $10 and practice all you want on that.

I’m feeling pretty confident on this third go around about how to smooth properly but I’m still iffy on corners. I get worried about the point of intersection of the three edges.

My plan tomorrow is to first smooth the vertical edge going up and starting at the very beginning of it at the bottom. Then from the same point of intersection, do the two remaining edges that meet the vertical point.

Then I will add one more dot of silicone at that very point and slightly smooth up. That should really make a thicker intersection and cover up any of the weak spots that the previous two smoothings on the other edges weakened.

I also plan to divide the tank up into halves to deal with the speed issue. Doing all seams at once just took too long and had started curing when I pulled the tape which messed everything up.

I laid the tape in a manner where the seams that get smoother first have the tape ontop of the upcoming sections.

This way, I can quickly caulk the bead. Smooth and immediately remove the tape resulting in no curing and a very clean finish. I will progressively lay the caulk, smooth, then remove the tape as I progress through the tank. This will give me time to adequately smooth and gloss over for corrections before moving on.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something tells me my previous two jobs would have worked and I’m being paranoid. I really don’t want any second guessing on this though.

So that means no flapping over, no brittle areas, and absolutely no trapped air or bubbles.

You can also tell if the bead is really lodged in there when you see the thicker white line following all the way up the seam. I hope there are no weaker white spots in the seam.

If there is no flapping, bubbles, brittle areas and it’s a smooth straight line on all seams then I think I’ll be good to go.

With my new technique, I have time to smooth things over until they’re perfect.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone can give me some guidance on the pressure you typically apply while smoothing and how you conquer corners where three edges meet, I’d REALLY appreciate it.

This is really my last shot, I know I’ve probably taken a bit off the inner seam at this point. I’m down quite a bit of money if I don’t make it work.

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I use silicone a lot as a plumber, and a good technique to make a nice looking bead is when wiping away the silicone is to spray some window cleaner or soapy water to the surrounding as ther silicone won't stick to the wetted surface.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I use silicone a lot as a plumber, and a good technique to make a nice looking bead is when wiping away the silicone is to spray some window cleaner or soapy water to the surrounding as ther silicone won't stick to the wetted surface.

I’ve been seeing that everywhere! My concern is the toxicity to the fish but I’m sure it comes out.

I also do want that thin layer that runs about a quarter inch to each side.

I did like using my finger but I think I’m going to use a tool this time for a very nice consistent smoothing.

I have a question on the size of how much edge I should leave in the corner.

Sizes 5 and maybe 8 looked perfect for the job.

C5F0AFDF-1BF4-4E77-A191-0B783DECE7AF.jpeg
BA777BDF-A295-429F-AA6D-D89DD60B0580.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes- use stick like finger and a unifo
I’ve made sure to thoroughly wipe with acetone and allow to dry/evaporate before caulking.

I’m interested in learning more about using popsicle sticks for the sealing. I’ve used my finger and a tool before. Do you just use the popsicle stick in the same manner?

Also, how much pressure do you apply when running something through the silicone?
Yes, use stick in place of finger with a uniform bead rather than pressure

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 is definitely thick but would that means that it’s not getting pushed inside the seam enough?
Depends on the size of bead you initially lay down.
If you go thin you may not be pushing it into the corner

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got this setup for success already...lay the tape, put thick bead use the tool, pull the tape wipe up excess, rinse repeat.
I believe in you!!

I think I’m just about there. Should I only do one, maybe two, wipes? I get worried about removing too much excess but also making sure it’s smooth and lodged into the seam.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- use stick like finger and a unifo
Yes, use stick in place of finger with a uniform bead rather than pressure

So I really am aiming to have the sides of the tool, or popsicle, touch the edges of the seam with the silicone being focused in the gap between the circle of the popsicle or tool in the corner?

Like the gap in between the corner and the tool in the picture I sent?

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m just about there. Should I only do one, maybe two, wipes? I get worried about removing too much excess but also making sure it’s smooth and lodged into the seam.
Just one unless it doesn't look right.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One sufficient. Let it dry at least 36 hours !

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One sufficient. Let it dry at least 36 hours !

Last question I promise, how do you handle corners? I feel like running the tool up the vertical seam would remove the seal on the bottom two seams. How do you handle these?

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 168 74.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%
Back