*** R2R Secret Santa 2023 is HERE!! Get registered!! ***

Did you know R2R has a Secret Santa gift exchange every year?

• Yep! I'm in!

Votes: 86 35.1%
  • No, I didn't know that!

Votes: 99 40.4%
  • What's a Secret Santa?

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Bah! Humbug!

Votes: 47 19.2%

• Total voters

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
ElWell this is exciting!!!

elf GIF

Secret Santa Questionnaire:
  1. What country are you located in? USA
  2. What is one thing you always need more of? Hard to pick one thing - coral food (corals love from KZ) seems to be working very well.
  3. What do you like to do on the weekends? Play with my dogs, ride my tractor, maintain my tanks!!
  4. What are your other hobbies/interests? Nature preservation, gardening, my dogs are my babies.
  5. How do you relax after a long day at work? Watching my tanks, snuggling the dogs.
  6. Is there a candy, cookie, or other treat do you remember you loved as a kid that you you haven't had in years and years? Chocolate orange.
  7. Do you collect anything? Corals …
  8. What is your favorite color? Green
  9. What size t-shirt/hoodie/socks do you wear? Unisex XL, large socks
  10. What is one TV show or movie you can watch over and over again? House of the Dragon
  11. What type of music do you listen to? Indie House
  12. Do you follow any sports teams? Nope.
  13. What's your favorite fish? My frog fish Marvin.
  14. Favorite coral? Frogspawn/Octospawn
  15. Favorite invert? Conch
  16. Tell us about your tank(s)! What size are they? What do you keep in them? Do you have a build thread? 125 gallon softie harem clownfish tank, 40 gallon frog fish tank, 40 gallon frag tank, 40 gallon quarantine, and the big boy 310 gallon mixed reef tank (just cycling now, no fish yet)
  17. Do you have any planned upgrades or hopeful future tweaks to your tank(s)? Tweaks? No … but planning to do ozone on the 310 gallon when the time comes.
  18. What's your favorite thing to watch in your tank? Marvin eating
  19. Are there any parts of the reef hobby you get really excited over? Aquascaping
  20. What are some good gift ideas for you? (This isn't meant to be a wish list. Just some general thoughts or ideas for whoever draws your name.) Anything that another reefer has found to be very helpful or fun
  21. Would you be interested in receiving livestock? NO!! The weather in North Dakota is too brutal this time of year to risk livestock.
  22. Are there any additional questions you wish we had asked that we didn't? (Add those questions in under these and post your answers.) I hate red. My reef will not have any red in it.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a tiny one spot. I lost my Lo to velvet (2 years ago) and Bi-color in a tank crash (this past summer, he was 4). They are like little water puppies once they get used to the tank.
I agree! Mine is a magnificent now! He is pretty chill.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
  1. What country are you located in? US
  2. What is one thing you always need more of? Hanna Regents
  3. What do you like to do on the weekends? I’m always out with friends
  4. What are your other hobbies/interests? Music (guitar/drums)
  5. How do you relax after a long day at work? Observe tank
  6. Is there a candy, cookie, or other treat do you remember you loved as a kid that you you haven't had in years and years? No
  7. Do you collect anything? No
  8. What is your favorite color? Blue
  9. What size t-shirt/hoodie/socks do you wear? Large
  10. What is one TV show or movie you can watch over and over again? Don’t watch much TV
  11. What type of music do you listen to? Most
  12. Do you follow any sports teams? FSU
  13. What's your favorite fish? Clown
  14. Favorite coral? ORA red honors
  15. Favorite invert? Peppermint Shrimp
  16. Tell us about your tank(s)! What size are they? What do you keep in them? Do you have a build thread? 10g, 1.5g corals, no (yet)
  17. Do you have any planned upgrades or hopeful future tweaks to your tank(s)?not yet
  18. What's your favorite thing to watch in your tank? Colors
  19. Are there any parts of the reef hobby you get really excited over? Reefing in general
  20. What are some good gift ideas for you? (This isn't meant to be a wish list. Just some general thoughts or ideas for whoever draws your name.) Hanna regents
  21. Would you be interested in receiving livestock? If yes, what would you be interested in? *disclaimer due to the busy holiday season we recommend not shipping livestock* no
  22. Are there any additional questions you wish we had asked that we didn't? (Add those questions in under these and post your answers.) no

Gobi1canobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Ho! Ho! Ho!! It's our 2023 Secret Santa for Reef2Reef!!

This is going to be a great time to spread Christmas joy!!

To those who have been part of our Secret Santa before, you know the drill...but read through this anyhow... :)

Here is how it will work:
  • Requirements to participate:
    • At least 18 years of age
    • At least 14 days as a member of R2R
    • At least 10 posts on R2R
  • Gift requirement: AT LEAST $25 value and a splash of Christmas joy! (Suggested gift range is $25-$50. More on this below.)
  • As you sign up, you'll get a link to the gift exchange on Elfster (it's the Secret Santa exchange website/app that we use to organize the gift exchange) where you'll need to register so that we can easily match you with your Secret Santa.*
  • The first matchup will take place when we have 50 people registered. After this, matches will happen every few days (at least 25 people per match) through December 11th.
  • Sign up is officially closed (deadline was December 11th), but I am trying to make one more match group, so sign up quickly!
  • Buy or make gifts and ship them by December 18, 2023.
  • Delivery tracking is mandatory and will need to be sent to @Santa Claus and/or updated in Elfster.
  • International Participation: Our Secret Santa will have a groups for those outside the US (US participants who would like to participate with international participants are also welcome to do so). While we wish that we had enough international participation to allow all participants to only send to members within their own country, that simply isn't feasible, so please be aware of the possibility that you may need to ship internationally to participate outside the US (but I will do my best to match participants to others within their country).
Here are a few guidelines for this year:
  1. Please, PLEASE, be sure your R2R username is entered on your Elfster profile (include it maybe after your First Name so it appears like a "middle name." This really does help your Secret Santa to find you on Reef2Reef and get better gift giving ideas.
  2. This is an event that is meant to spread Christmas joy, so we're asking all participants to try to make this special for whoever you receive. While we realize that this may look different for everyone, we're asking participants to avoid sending $25 e-gift cards as your only gift. Suggested gift range is $25-$50. You may give more, but be aware that you may not receive more than this amount.
  3. All participants MUST make a post or send a message acknowledging their gift and thanking whoever their Secret Santa is. Most of you do this anyway, but just to be clear, this a requirement for participating. We'll start a Thank You thread specifically for this and link it here.
  4. Feel free to make a wishlist on Elfster if you would like. This is not required (if you fill out the questions listed here, you should be giving some good ideas to your Secret Santa anyhow), but we know some of you like this feature a lot. So feel free to make a wishlist, but please remember that the suggested gift amount is $25-$50 (so be sure to have some good gift ideas available to your Secret Santa in that range).
  5. Your gift MUST be sent by December 18th. Now, we realize things can happen, and we're always willing to work with participants. However, if your gift has not been shipped and confirmation/tracking info sent to Santa by the deadline, you may be banned from participating in future Secret Santa exchanges on Reef2Reef.
  6. Failure to abide by these guidelines may result in not being allowed future participation in Secret Santa gift exchanges. (We're really not expecting to remove anyone, but we do reserve the right to do so if a participant does not engage in the spirit of this gift exchange.)
All R2R Secret Santa participants will receive a special Secret Santa banner under their username.

To sign up, you will need to do these 2 things (PLEASE DO BOTH):
  1. PM @Santa Claus with your contact information (name, email, and country you're located in so that we can PM you the link to sign up on Elfster and join the gift exchange).
  2. Post in this thread with your answers to the questionnaire (see below) IN THIS THREAD (this is our official registration thread).
Secret Santa Questionnaire:
  1. What country are you located in?
  2. What is one thing you always need more of?
  3. What do you like to do on the weekends?
  4. What are your other hobbies/interests?
  5. How do you relax after a long day at work?
  6. Is there a candy, cookie, or other treat do you remember you loved as a kid that you you haven't had in years and years?
  7. Do you collect anything?
  8. What is your favorite color?
  9. What size t-shirt/hoodie/socks do you wear?
  10. What is one TV show or movie you can watch over and over again?
  11. What type of music do you listen to?
  12. Do you follow any sports teams?
  13. What's your favorite fish?
  14. Favorite coral?
  15. Favorite invert?
  16. Tell us about your tank(s)! What size are they? What do you keep in them? Do you have a build thread?
  17. Do you have any planned upgrades or hopeful future tweaks to your tank(s)?
  18. What's your favorite thing to watch in your tank?
  19. Are there any parts of the reef hobby you get really excited over?
  20. What are some good gift ideas for you? (This isn't meant to be a wish list. Just some general thoughts or ideas for whoever draws your name.)
  21. Would you be interested in receiving livestock? If yes, what would you be interested in? *disclaimer due to the busy holiday season we recommend not shipping livestock*
  22. Are there any additional questions you wish we had asked that we didn't? (Add those questions in under these and post your answers.)
At this time, we are unable to guarantee matching users based on a preference for shipping coral. If shipping coral we ask that you notify @Santa Claus via PM when you would like 2 ship so we can notify recipient and make sure they will be able to receive it. If recipient can't be there we will ask them for 2 other days and work out with sender. (We don't mind playing the go between here to keep it more a secret.)

Also, notice that we have a special Secret Santa forum going on! Feel free to start other threads in here to talk about everything Secret Santa related, holiday related, or just anything you want to talk with all of us other SS peeps!

#R2RSecretSanta
I'm in! pm sent to Santa! I'm excited! this is my first! My wheels are turning!

LatinoHeat

View Badges
Reaction score
  1. What country are you located in?
  2. What is one thing you always need more of?
  3. What do you like to do on the weekends?
  4. What are your other hobbies/interests?
  5. How do you relax after a long day at work?
  6. Is there a candy, cookie, or other treat do you remember you loved as a kid that you you haven't had in years and years?
  7. Do you collect anything?
  8. What is your favorite color?
  9. What size t-shirt/hoodie/socks do you wear?
  10. What is one TV show or movie you can watch over and over again?
  11. What type of music do you listen to?
  12. Do you follow any sports teams?
  13. What's your favorite fish?
  14. Favorite coral?
  15. Favorite invert?
  16. Tell us about your tank(s)! What size are they? What do you keep in them? Do you have a build thread?
  17. Do you have any planned upgrades or hopeful future tweaks to your tank(s)?
  18. What's your favorite thing to watch in your tank?
  19. Are there any parts of the reef hobby you get really excited over?
  20. What are some good gift ideas for you? (This isn't meant to be a wish list. Just some general thoughts or ideas for whoever draws your name.)
  21. Would you be interested in receiving livestock? If yes, what would you be interested in? *disclaimer due to the busy holiday season we recommend not shipping livestock*
  22. Are there any additional questions you wish we had asked that we didn't? (Add those questions in under these and post your answers.)

Denato1

View Badges
Reaction score
  • What country are you located in? United States
  • What is one thing you always need more of? Not sure only reefing 9 months
  • What do you like to do on the weekends? Relax, spend time with the kids, action shooting
  • What are your other hobbies/interests? Freshwater Aquascaping, 3d printing, laser engraving, action shooting
  • How do you relax after a long day at work? Watch TV, play a video game, have a Tequila cranberry and watch my tanks.
  • Is there a candy, cookie, or other treat do you remember you loved as a kid that you you haven't had in years and years? No not really.
  • What is your favorite color? Purple neon green, neon orange
  • What is one TV show or movie you can watch over and over again? Star Wars, Harry Potter, Futurama, Lord of the rings, Supernatural
  • What type of music do you listen to?
    rock, metal, whatever my kids put on
  • What size t-shirt/hoodie/socks do you wear? 3xl shirts/hoodie and size 12 socks
  • Do you follow any sports teams?
  • What's a sport
  • Do you collect anything? No
  • What's your favorite fish? clowns/gobys
  • Favorite coral? Going, Euphyllia, hammers, frogspawn and bubble coral
  • Favorite invert? shrimp
  • Tell us about your tank(s)! What size are they? What do you keep in them? Do you have a build thread? I have a e170 with sump, corals, clowns, royal Gramma, urchin, and bristletooth tang. Yes. I have a build thread.
  • Do you have any planned upgrades or hopeful future tweaks to your tank(s)? No. But I hope to one day in the future when I have more room.
  • What's your favorite thing to watch in your tank? My corals swaying in the water
  • Are there any parts of the reef hobby you get really excited over? looking at and getting new corals, Euphyllia, going, meat corals
  • What are some good gift ideas for you? Fish related: Any LPS coral, or mushroom corals, new to this
  • Not fish related: no clue lol
  • Would you be interested in receiving livestock? If yes, what would you be interested in? Sure, not sure what pretty open to new creature

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Merry Christmas from New Zealand. It’s 5:30pm on Christmas Day here so it’s all but over for us, but I know for many it’s Christmas Eve. I hope you all wake to find your stockings stuffed with reefing goodies (not corals or fish though as that would be a Christmas horror story) and I hope you all have an enjoyable day with friends and family. Cheers Al

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back