Recommended pellet Food

Shua71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang, clownfish, damsel, and royal gramma which I mainly feed pellet food. I feed frozen once in awhile when I have the time to thaw it out. I have had a jar of new life spectrum which I am finishing up now. My fish appear to love it but I was thinking of adding another type of pellet which I can feed them for some variety. What are some pellet foods you guys have had success with?

Fifty8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried yet but I've been hearing good reviews about cobalt and hikari pellets. I'll be ordering some because some of my fish won't ready nls. I need something besides the p.e mysis flakes

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari, Cobalt, New Life and others are all fine brands. But if you look at the ingredients most pellets are going to be fairly similar. If you want to add variety for your fish's diet you would be better served makingvtime to incorporate frozen food more often.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also try an algae pellet. Hikari and NLS make a great sinking algae pellet.

I'm surprised that your fish don't care for the NLS, if I have a picky fish, NLS usually gets them eating.

Fifty8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also try an algae pellet. Hikari and NLS make a great sinking algae pellet.

I'm surprised that your fish don't care for the NLS, if I have a picky fish, NLS usually gets them eating.
When I bought them they were exclusively feed frozen so I kept that up in the beginning. It caused me problems I the end

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought them they were exclusively feed frozen so I kept that up in the beginning. It caused me problems I the end
What sort of problems? If it was algae or increased nutrients several solutions are available. One is to rinse frozen in a brine shrimp net and feeding less food each time you feed.

Fifty8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of problems? If it was algae or increased nutrients several solutions are available. One is to rinse frozen in a brine shrimp net and feeding less food each time you feed.
Algae. I'm fighting multiple kinds right now. Green hair and cyano. I'm going to try the rinsing method tho

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing works wonders, I couldn't believe the difference in just a few weeks time. And pellet food wise I'm a big fan of all of the omega one products, or rather I should say that my fish are. But, they've also been conditioned on that product. I tried NLS a couple of times, fine product as I've seen beautiful fish populations who are fed only that, but my fish don't seem to like it.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take care that the raw fat in the pellet food is quite high and rich in HUFA/PUFA. Raw fat should be ca. 1/3 of raw protein. Fats are the main energy source of fish and help keep fish healthy and nutrient excretion low.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS is a great frozen. You may be feeding too much, I've never had skimmer issues with feeding frozen. I also use PE mysis pellets. I feed pellets a few times a day, very small pinches, my 5 fish(clowns and wrasse) eat it all in about 3 seconds. I also feed one advil sized piece of reef frenzy thawed out and added to the tank once a day. I have no algae issues.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a healthy food - no doubt. Fish and corals loved it. However, my skimmer went bonkers for 24 hours.
That's strange, typically the healthy fats will make my skimmer foam non exisistent. Just shows how different our tanks can react to the same products we use.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a fan of Reef Nutrition's TDO pellets. My fish go crazy for them.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a discus tank for years and all I fed was new life spectrum. Discus are notoriously finicky eaters and they ate that food. I changed my tank to a African cichlids tank and I also had great successfeeding nls. Now I have a reef tank so I am also feeding new life spectrum and my fish are growing. My local fish store suggested I feed some frozen so I do it 3 times a week and I feed nori everyday.

U

User1

View Badges
LRS is a great frozen. You may be feeding too much, I've never had skimmer issues with feeding frozen. I also use PE mysis pellets. I feed pellets a few times a day, very small pinches, my 5 fish(clowns and wrasse) eat it all in about 3 seconds. I also feed one advil sized piece of reef frenzy thawed out and added to the tank once a day. I have no algae issues.

Thanks for the tip on the "too much" part. I could be - not sure. But what I will do though since you mentioned it is cut it in half and see what it does. Thanks for the advise.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used NLS for over a decade and it has kept many different kinds of fish healthy. The 2 other pellet foods I really like are PE Mysis, fish LOVE it, and BlueZoo's house blend, which I think is the most natural but you can only order it from them.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 101 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back