Red Sea Butterfly hasn't eaten in 3 days now and have developed open sore...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
https://youtube.com/shorts/9s24O4RqH1s?feature=share3I've had this butterfly more than a year now until recently it stopped eating for the last 3 days and just hangs in a corner. And tonight I noticed an open wound/sore. It seems serious so what can I do to treat him with?
This can be a wound or injury but also has the characteristics of Prolapse with a bacterial infection. This fish is breathing very heavily and will need to be placed in a sterile quarantine tank with added aeration via air stone and treated with seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 with ammonia levels monitored with a reliable test kit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://youtube.com/shorts/9s24O4RqH1s?feature=share3I've had this butterfly more than a year now until recently it stopped eating for the last 3 days and just hangs in a corner. And tonight I noticed an open wound/sore. It seems serious so what can I do to treat him with?

That is really strange for a long term captive to just start showing those symptoms. The open wound and rapid breathing are common signs of Uronema, but I have never seen that in a one year captive fish before.

I'm not optimistic you will be able to save this fish - while the wound itself is open, the rapid breathing indicates that it is a systemic infection (inside the body).

I'm hesitant to even guess at a treatment, sorry!

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems like the fins are ragged as well - as if 'bullied' - as others have said. I have not seen those types of fin damage - which almost look the same size with uronema? Also - perhaps consider what else is in the tank - are they showing any symptoms? Re-looking at the video - it does look like you have a lot of tangs :)

OP
OP
Squidward

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the fins are ragged as well - as if 'bullied' - as others have said. I have not seen those types of fin damage - which almost look the same size with uronema? Also - perhaps consider what else is in the tank - are they showing any symptoms? Re-looking at the video - it does look like you have a lot of tangs
No real bullying going on. I've only seen it get chased from its corner spot once in a while during these last 3 days. Before that this guy and the pearlscale butterfly hung out and searched for food all day without any problems. It's odd how this guy suddenly got ill like this. Yea I have 12 tangs in total.

I've started treating him with Maracyn 2. Hoping for the best. As I rarely ever see these anywhere. Would be such a bummer to lose him. Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: unfortunately it has passed away

Sorry to hear. If it was bullying, you may never see evidence of that, it happens so quickly. With damselfish. clownfish and the like, the aggression is relentless, and you will see it pretty clearly. With some fish, however, like tangs, the tail swipe is over in a split second, so you will almost always miss it.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back