Red Sea Pro Alk test kit. Does this thing suck?

roger saltwaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aforementioned product. I can't make heads or tails out of its results. Color just gradually changes from the start color to a bland orange. Impossible to really determine anything based on this. Is there a better way? Or what am I doing wrong?

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that test and I have trouble with any test that requires you to match colors. I'm not very good at it and I always wonder if I got it right.

I am thinking of getting the Hanna test. No idea how accurate it is but it gives a number without having to match colors.

jabell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that this is not a good test for alkalinity. I like most of their other tests but this one is impossible to tell the end point. I don't get a color like this video shows. Mine just turns a dull peach color slowly.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. I sent pics to Red Sea and they said that the color is not normal and they sent a new one. The new one is the same. I have no such issues with cal and mag. Just alk

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much test reagent it takes to get to end color. Then match this to the chart. Add drop, then swirl until you reach end color.

Last edited:

Curtismaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. Love the Cal and Mg but the Alk is almost worthless. I have an idea of where my Alk is but I have no idea what the exact reading is. Im going to buy a Salifert kit, I have read that they are eadier to read.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have had it be red or peach.. I basically watch for any hint of blue/purple to be gone. As said above use daylight and holding up to the white background of the instruction card helps.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so much easier to just get the hanna alk checker. I have the one that tells you ppm. Refill agent is cheap on Bulk Reef supply.

marine2463

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have the same problem my trick that I do for the alk test is when the color starts to change add one drop at a time when it start getting close to that peach color keep adding drops and stirring until it don't change anymore that will be your end point just remeber to subtract .01 regent from the results . You will notice ounce it reaches the dull peach color if you add one more drop it won't change... I checked this method against a salifert kit and it was right on
I know it's sucks it took me a while but it will work

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that this is not a good test for alkalinity. I like most of their other tests but this one is impossible to tell the end point. I don't get a color like this video shows. Mine just turns a dull peach color slowly.

Proven to be one of the best ALK test kit available.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice how some call the color pink while others call it red and others call it peach. Bottom line is, to add the regent until you get to the color shown on the card.

toothybugs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are looking for is to get just past the blue point - that's the titration point. I work in coatings and can tell you that my beef with "compare to the card" tests is that there is so much variation between what is printed and what is reality that it makes me sad. I recently did a project where I was given two standards, both printed ink. They were the "same color" but place one on top of the other and you could visually tell a slight difference. That was for a multi-million account. Somehow I doubt our hobbyist kits have anywhere near that level of precision.

So, get just past the blue and call it good. I have the same kit and my first kit was very red, the refills have been orange. Either way, get just past the blue.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back