Reef Aquarium Fact #147 Zoanthids discharge a highly toxic chemical known as palytoxin, this toxic s

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #147

As a defense mechanism, Zoanthids discharge a highly toxic chemical known as palytoxin, this toxic substance is fatal to humans and when handling/fragging zoanthids hands should be washed thoroughly.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

12.jpg

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TRUE paly/zoas do secrete and spray palytoxin sometimes. This is one of the strongest toxins on earth and can lead to cardiovascular distress. blindness,and will inflame the tissue where the toxin enter'd the body ( cuts on the hand eye tissue etc) and there is no known medicine to stop the affects. When I frag I use gloves,eye protection, and a mask over my mouth. I have seen some pictures of people who have had the bad result of no protection being worn.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are like playing russian roulette with. Only a fraction of zoas/palys contain palytoxin, but you never know which ones. Always were gloves AND face protection when fragging (they can/will squirt liquid that can hit you in the face when taken out of water/fragged). Never work around zoas/palys with open cuts/scratches. It only cost a few dollars to protect yourself, but if you don't protect yourself and run into problems it can cost you thousands of dollars in hospital bills or worse, cost you your life. I have personally known 3 people sent to the hospital with palytoxin poisoning, one was in a coma for 3 weeks. Very scary stuff and nothing to take lightly.

Strange Addiction

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true, no need to get all worked up over there is always the unknowin in this hobby, i never thought a barb from a coral cat would send me to the ER in that much pain so i say wear the gloves and with messin with messin with polytoxin be more than careful its hard to get in your system but is very toxic from what ive read over the last few years. So take caution when fraggin and putting pressure on the poylips ive seen then squart.

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read and been told (can't remember where I read it, or I'd link it) that paly's contain a more potent version than zoas. Any truth to that?

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always considered protopalys to be much more dangerous as they become 'slimy' when you frag them. That stuff cant be good for you. Zoas can also 'squirt' when fragged which can introduce dangerous saltwater bacteria into the mucus membranes of your eyes. This happens frequently enough that I now ALWAYS wear eye protection. The problem is that we dont know exactly what strains of bacteria are present in our tanks, and there are some, such as Vibrio, for example, found in seawater that can be fatal to humans.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there are some that do, however, I believe most injuries that reefers attribute to "palytoxin poisoning" are more likely bacterial infections.

I have NEVER seen a reefer in any forum thread post absolute scientific proof they were harmed due to palytoxins.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have NEVER seen a reefer in any forum thread post absolute scientific proof they were harmed due to palytoxins.
Quick google search showed me proof.
ScienceDirect.com - Toxicon - A case of palytoxin poisoning due to contact with zoanthid corals through a skin injury
A case of human poisoning by palytoxin after contact with zoanthid corals (Parazoanthus sp.) in an aquarium through skin injuries on fingers is reported. The clinical symptoms include swelling, paraesthesia and numbness around the site of the injury spreading over the arm, but also signs of systemic poisoning such as dizziness, general weakness and myalgia, irregularities in the ECG and indications of rhabdomyolysis. Symptomatic treatment consisted of infusion of physiological fluids. The patient recovered within 3 days. Analysis of the zoanthid coral involved revealed extremely high concentrations of palytoxin (between 2 and 3 mg/g).

elfda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are like playing russian roulette with. Only a fraction of zoas/palys contain palytoxin, but you never know which ones. Always were gloves AND face protection when fragging (they can/will squirt liquid that can hit you in the face when taken out of water/fragged). Never work around zoas/palys with open cuts/scratches. It only cost a few dollars to protect yourself, but if you don't protect yourself and run into problems it can cost you thousands of dollars in hospital bills or worse, cost you your life. I have personally known 3 people sent to the hospital with palytoxin poisoning, one was in a coma for 3 weeks. Very scary stuff and nothing to take lightly.
This is exactly why I moved all the zoas to one tank, along with the mini carpet; keep all the dangerous things together.
Screenshot_20170113-121945.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back