Reef Aquarium Fact #230 There is no "cure" for Saltwater Ich.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #230

There is no "cure" for Saltwater Ich.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

d8bf63ca_PowderBluewithIch.jpg

tcreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read many posts on the topic of Ich and there seems to be no real concrete cure for this disease. My fish have always responded well to supplementing garlic with their food and boosting their immune system to rid them of Ich. It is not always a sure thing though and I have lost many fish to this disease over the years.

BlueWaterTropicals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater Ich has a 21 day life cycle and effects invertebrates too. So quarantining you fish for treatment and not your inverts does not get rid of the problem after.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never treated my tank either but usually doses of Vit-C and garlic food seemed to help. Ich seems to be like one of those things that happen when fish are stressed. Remove the stresses and it has always gone away on it's own. Actually i just recently saved my Hi Fin Wrasse from the back chamber in my biocube. He had some white spots on him since he was stressed....after a few days and good eating he is back to normal.

BlueWaterTropicals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV lights are good for killing free swimming parasites but once they're attached to a host, they remain there until they are ready to drop their eggs. If the eggs catch on something before it can be filtered out, then the problem will remain.

Garlic is good for boosting fish immune systems which can make them less likely to be effected but its not guarunteed. the only guarantee is copper treatments but copper kills inverts. The Ich parasite is an invert....

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is indeed very curable and it is possible to run an ich free tank. It takes a dedicated hobbiest to keep a tank free of the ich parasite but it is possible. Anything wet can potentially carry ich, so it is important to QT anything wet (i learned this the hard way). There are lots of misinformation going around about ich but honestly the the life cycle of Ich is known info. Ich does not infect inverts but like anything that is wet they can carry it. I agree that many healthy fish can live with ich but I have a hard time watching my fish scratch against rocks and not be completely healthy. The argument about Ich will go on forever, but remember there are far worse diseases that come in on fish than Ich and QT is an amazing practice that has way more advantages than just disease control. I try not think as my fish as "just fish" and love them like puppies.

Marco67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have often said
and I'll go on record here as saying "there is no such thing as an ich free system, only a symptom free system"
That said a symptom free system can be a very healthy system.

jaa1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to have an ich free system, but it takes a lot of time. Having your tank run its cycle and then letting it go longer with no fish will help. I believe it is recommended for 21 weeks empty, the ich will die out by then. And of course QT your fish before hand and I always treat my fish even with no symptoms, and they all get at least 18 weeks of treatment. And them there are the corals and inverts, that all can carry something with them. They would need the 21 week QT in their own tank with nothing added during the QT period. Although I QT my fish I just don't have the room to QT cuc and corals.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21 weeks? That seems a little excessive, that would give you time to QT about two fish a year.

Aqua Craft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich. cure = http://aquacraft.net/table-content/ma1-disease-control

Quarantine all new arrivals. If they show signs of scratching, rapid breathing and ultimately ich. or cryp, treat with CuSo4 (copper sulfate).
The proven treatment is unchelated copper sulfate at a treatment level of 0.15 ppm. for 30 days.

At the first signs of disease look for the possible cause. Low temperature, new arrival that is stressed, etc. Correct the possible cause of stress and/or disease. CuSo4 cannot be used in invertebrate aquariums. -- Thus, QUARANTINE ALL NEW arrivals for 30 days prior to addition to your main display system.

Maintain the proven effective treatment level of 0.15 ppm for 30 days. It is essential to maintain a pH of 8.25 to 8.4. Check the level of copper with a reliable copper test kit. Do not use a test kit that is offered for testing "chelated" copper sulfate.

Very low residual levels of CuSo4 can complex (return at high levels) if the pH is allowed to drop below pH 7.6-

Chelated copper sulfate must be maintained at a higher treatment level and will stay in the system for weeks to months.

Test for copper sulfate every day. If the level goes down, add enough CuSo4 to maintain the proper treatment level (0.15 ppm.) Very few marine fish can handle higher levels than 0.15.

Discontinue the use of activated carbon and/or chemical filter mediums including those with resins.

http://aquacraft.net/table-content/ma1-disease-control

Make a partial water change of 10%-15% (if the effected animals can tolerate it). Retest for CuSo4. Add more to bring the level up to treatment level.

Attachments

• 1 Drop CuSo4.jpg
    1 Drop CuSo4.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 238

HaleMoana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can be cured with hypo or copper. Hypo will only kill ich while the cysts are in their tormont (spelling?) stage, so it's critical that you run hypo for at least 6 to 8 weeks to be sure that all cysts go through that cycle.

UV is no guarantee. Not all water is guaranteed to pass through it. The cyst could be on the sand and theoretically never make it to the overflow.

It is possible to live ich free, but as others have said... It takes dedication.

One ounce of prevention...

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.7%
Back