Reef conservation

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for the people in the US(and others) there was just a mass bleaching event in coral, probably going to be one of the biggest in history, Great Barrier Reef just had its 6th that is bleaching a lot(I think over 50%), and, if they all die, what will be left? in 2020, corals(MAINLY photosynthesizing creatures, not just corals) produced around 70% of the earths oxygen, now, it(corals) only produces <50% of the oxygen, leading to less oxygen in the air, and since a lot of the coral is getting bleached, it has a higher rate of dying, hence, the animals that depend on the corals die, and the animals that depend on those die, and so and so...
So, if the corals die, us reefers are going to have some of the only corals left on earth! Could we please do something to help these corals, so we don't die, so other organisms don't die out, so the future generation(like me, at 14) can see the beautiful world of the ocean?
(I am about to start crying lol, in hs)
Thanks,
Stewy

Last edited:

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. It is not good. And really, it's up to Zoomers to correct all the unsavory things that previous generations set in motion. I don't believe it's too late, but climate change is here. Back when I was a kid in the 70s, snow came (enough to sled) once every 3 to 4 years or so. Now it's every year. Also, a VERY hot day (in the mid 90s) was pretty rare. Now we hit that every year. Boy o boy, we hit 112 a few years back (in Western Washington). I'm amazed. Really, the only thing Boomers did right (and I'm a boomer), was correct the Ozone Layer issue. To some degree anyway.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for the people in the US(and others) there was just a mass bleaching event in coral, probably going to be one of the biggest in history, Great Barrier Reef just had its 6th that is bleaching a lot(I think over 50%), and, if they all die, what will be left? in 2020, corals produced 75% of the earths oxygen, now, it only produces <50% of the oxygen, leading to less oxygen in the air, and since a lot of the coral is getting bleached, it has a higher rate of dying, hence, the animals that depend on the corals die, and the animals that depend on those die, and so and so...
So, if the corals die, us reefers are going to have some of the only corals left on earth! Could we please do something to help these corals, so we don't die, so other organisms dont die out, so the future generation(like me, at 14) can see the beautiful world of the ocean?
(I am about to start crying lol, in hs)
Thanks,
Stewy
Where did you get those numbers from? I’d love to see a source that said corals produce 75% of earths oxygen cause that’s just not true….

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he mean the sea
Maybe, but even then it’s still not 75, only about 50%

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get those numbers from? I’d love to see a source that said corals produce 75% of earths oxygen cause that’s just not true….
I said in 2020, and it fluctuates around the 70%'s https://savethereef.org/about.html

WAIT, sorry, that 70% is from the ocean/photosynthesizing creatures, imma edit that
sorry

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ye I meant around 70%(for all photosynthesizing organisms, counting coral)

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that article was last updated in august last year, so, duuh its 50%
XD
sorry
no hard feelings

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get off the anxiety propaganda my friend. The powers at be want you to be anxious and depressed, it's the only way they can win.
wat, never said I was anxious, or depressed, and I am medically diagnosed with anxiety(sad, dont wanna be one of those stupid ahh dumb ahh genz American teens :C, NO OFFENSE)

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is already well documented that we are BY FAR, the most selfish species on the planet. We want everything bigger, better, faster, and we want it YESTERDAY!! These numbers do not surprize me at all. I do not have any kids, but I do care very much about what we are leaving for the next generation.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is already well documented that we are BY FAR, the most selfish species on the planet. We want everything bigger, better, faster, and we want it YESTERDAY!! These numbers do not surprize me at all. I do not have any kids, but I do care very much about what we are leaving for the next generation.
YES THANK YOU!!!!!
(not trying to sound like one of those "SAVE THE OCEAN GUYSSS")

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back