Reef struggles

CristinaNTimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astrea snails take care of my back glass well
That's my issue right now as well, I'm having a difficult time cleaning the back glass, very difficult to reach it with the depth of my tank I don't want anything on it but i like a clean look. All you have is Astrea snails taking care of that for you? if so how many would you recommend for a 290 g ?
Thanks

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That's my issue right now as well, I'm having a difficult time cleaning the back glass, very difficult to reach it with the depth of my tank I don't want anything on it but i like a clean look. All you have is Astrea snails taking care of that for you? if so how many would you recommend for a 290 g ?
Thanks
At least 20 and add in a few dwarf cerith, margarita and trochus snails

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How many would you recommend for a 65g? How many of each snail? How many crabs/hermits? How much would I need to mow down glass algae and tiny very unhealthy spores of hair algae?
12 astrea
6 cerith
4 margarita
6-8 Carribean blue leg hermits (theyre super tiny)

mnsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I ever did for PH was to add an ERV (energy recovery ventilator) to the house to continuously swap fresh outside air for stale inside air. I did the install myself which made it much more financially feasible. Second best thing I've done for PH is run an air line from outside to the skimmer.

The thing I'm struggling with now is PO4 and NO3 reading zero but obviously being present due to nuisance algae. I've started dosing Phos-NP to see what happens.

***Edit***
Plus-NP not Phos-NP
Algae can grow in pretty much any water parameter. They can also easily keep PO4 & NO3 low. I’ve been slightly over feeding (adding few pellets although my fishes pretty much only eat frozen, spoiled brats) to raise some parameters, but used other methods to target algae.

Mix of vibrant with hungry urchin, tomi tang, bunch of various cuc, cleaning glass and back wall everyday. And pods. Tibs pod did best for me.

I like having some algae but controlled. Keeps cuc happy. Green hair is good one for me. As soon as one of the rock has decent growth (enough to call it a hair), cuc is on it like zombies.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 astrea
6 cerith
4 margarita
Thank you. I have like 3 vermetid snails currently not worried though. Are there any good shrimp that would not be eaten by my marble wrasse I could put in? What do cerith and margarita snails do? Never heard of them?
@vetteguy53081

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you. I have like 3 vermetid snails currently not worried though. Are there any good shrimp that would not be eaten by my marble wrasse I could put in? What do cerith and margarita snails do? Never heard of them?
@vetteguy53081
Margarita- Some diatoms, film algae and in some cases, cyano

mnsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 astrea
6 cerith
4 margarita

Get urchin. Smaller the better.
I have 62lagoon.
1 tuxedo urchin
6 blue leg hermit
2 red leg hermit
6 astrea
3 turbo (I’ll be swapping two out soon as they are getting too big)
1 tiger conch
1 Babylon
2 dwarf torchus
1 fighting conch
1 pitho crab
1 Christmas hermit (?) the one with dots.
2 Cortez cerith
5 dwarf cerith
5 dwarf planaxis

mnsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aiptasia. it makes me so sad every time i look at my tank. ive spent hundreds of $ and tried everything except for the CBB. i get one delivered on thurs. im a little worried about it. sounds like i could be in for a real challange with it, too....
What’s CBB?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s CBB?
Copperband butterfly fish.

One of the better solutions for aiptasia, if you can get the CBB to survive long-term. They're notoriously fragile to start off with.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
aiptasia. it makes me so sad every time i look at my tank. ive spent hundreds of $ and tried everything except for the CBB. i get one delivered on thurs. im a little worried about it. sounds like i could be in for a real challange with it, too....
For Aptasia- You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small. I will note that a couple of persons who got the blue had their kleini nip zoa. if so- easy sell, or place in sump as aptasia have likely made it down there already

1669774874713.png

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont let the Phos drop any further as you may potentially resort back to dino
I stopped feeding Reef Roids because I'd read that the hydroids on the Zoas would love that. Perhaps it's time to start that again to keep the Phosphate off the floor.

I've got a small tank I can transfer the Zoas to. Just need to finish getting it ready. Most notably it's missing lights. I don't want to toss the Zoas. They're Gobstoppers, and they were $15/head. I'm sure future me would gladly pay at least that to not have to deal with an infestation of hydroids though. I figure I'll try treating fenbendazole in a hospital tank and see how it goes. I figure: worst case I kill the Zoas and hopefully avoid an outbreak of hydroids.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I stopped feeding Reef Roids because I'd read that the hydroids on the Zoas would love that. Perhaps it's time to start that again to keep the Phosphate off the floor.

I've got a small tank I can transfer the Zoas to. Just need to finish getting it ready. Most notably it's missing lights. I don't want to toss the Zoas. They're Gobstoppers, and they were $15/head. I'm sure future me would gladly pay at least that to not have to deal with an infestation of hydroids though. I figure I'll try treating fenbendazole in a hospital tank and see how it goes. I figure: worst case I kill the Zoas and hopefully avoid an outbreak of hydroids.
Yes it feeds them and can raise Phosphate levels

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saving up for a larger aquarium and equipment...the struggle is real.
Same, finally settled on a waterbox 150.4 and then my 24yo daughter got engaged. I about fell over when my wife told me what we would be spending. Weddings not in another year and I’ve already dished out more than the tank costs.

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow. ok thanks. thats good to know. i will keep that in the back of my mind. havent seen any down in the sump but i know my overflows are full off them:crying-face:

View Badges
Yes it feeds them and can raise Phosphate levels
Hello, I saw on a post that you were responding from Sheboygan. I'm currently looking for someone that can build a custom aquarium for an art project at Sheboygan (there won't be any creatures in the tank). Wondering if you have any recommendations for me.
I also wasn't sure how to send you a message. Therefore I'm posting my question here.
Thank you very much in advance.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we know there are many struggles and challenges in this hobby whether it be cycling, chemistry issues, fish not eating, coral dying or getting bleached, missing fish and mechanical failure of equipment as examples.
Many of us have struggled with something or are struggling but are afraid to ask or speak up. Be honest as you may get answers as soon as today.

What one thing(s) do you struggle with or are currently struggling with and would like to fix the issue once and for all?

Although better controlled, mine has been stable PH
Keeping the sand bed clean. Also figuring out why my skimmer wont pump water in volume

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back