Reef struggles

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aiptasia. it makes me so sad every time i look at my tank. ive spent hundreds of $ and tried everything except for the CBB. i get one delivered on thurs. im a little worried about it. sounds like i could be in for a real challange with it, too....

Have you tried adding a berghia nudibranch colony?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae. And aiptasia. Dealing with the bubbles right now . Hit with max+ dose of Flux Rx and I also have a Foxface, Bristletooth Tang and an Orange spot blenny. That’s starting to look much better. Now it’s time to deal with the aips.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, I saw on a post that you were responding from Sheboygan. I'm currently looking for someone that can build a custom aquarium for an art project at Sheboygan (there won't be any creatures in the tank). Wondering if you have any recommendations for me.
I also wasn't sure how to send you a message. Therefore I'm posting my question here.
Thank you very much in advance.
Check with custom aquariums in Appleton, WI

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Keeping the sand bed clean. Also figuring out why my skimmer wont pump water in volume
Assure its in at least 7" of water. Water height will affect this. If too much water, lift the skimmer and it should start refracting foam. If too little water, adding height will get it working in most cases.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest problem? Waiting to get my floor redone, upgraded to tile before I even consider (re)starting. I'm a patient man, but this is testing. But there is NO WAY I'm gonna start now then do what is basically a tank switch operation. Did that once before. No fun, man, no fun.

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia for me. Went 2 years without it an *BOOM* now I have it. :confused: I plan on getting some bergia soon.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae. And aiptasia. Dealing with the bubbles right now . Hit with max+ dose of Flux Rx and I also have a Foxface, Bristletooth Tang and an Orange spot blenny. That’s starting to look much better. Now it’s time to deal with the aips.

Berghia. Only way. Aiptasia x and other things only get what you can see. But not buds and small ones forming in and behind the rocks. You need bounty hunters sniffing them out and eating them 24/7.

I started my war on aiptasia in January. My berghia colony took 2 months exactly and now are out in full force, mostly at night but I do see them in the day also. My aiptasia is getting better every day and I sit back and do nothing
E91DE068-C98E-4DF5-9FE2-8C7B08E58693.jpeg 0F5F82EA-EC60-465F-80CA-106475CFA900.jpeg 9F44D528-2C27-41E0-8248-61C40CFCEF60.jpeg

Also got this guy to get rid of nuisance starfish
7CA81198-EE4C-46AB-971D-EE638E71ED9D.jpeg

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 125gallon. the first batch i ordered 12. ( and they were $50 a piece!!) the second time i tried i got 10.

Not enough. Where are you from? I paid around 16$ each and shipping was free

I have done this once before in my tank and was successful. It lasts about 1.5-2 years before they make their way back, but I do add corals weekly and monthly and could be introducing them myself. Now I’m doing it again due to the great results I had.

Both times I eliminated aiptasia I added 14 to my 75g tank. It takes 1-2 months for them to find secure spaces, make eggs, eggs to hatch, etc and then they really start to go to work. By 6 weeks I honestly thought they were all dead. I never saw once since adding but week 8 I saw a random one at night. The next day I saw one again. And over the next week I started seeing more and more.

Your tank is very long, and they are tiny. They hunt in colonies. And they spread out, get lost from each other, etc. You would probably need three groups of 8, placed left, middle, and right side of rock work at night with current off for a hour. They will find safe spots in the rocks and lay eggs and then wander off. Once oh get through a few rounds of this cycle they will be all over the place

Do you have wrasses? Or any possible predators hunting them ?

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know. thats how many were recommended to me from the supplier. and no, ill never get from them again. i followed their instructions to the t. and no, no predators that im aware of.. no wrasses...

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have 3 tanks, and I am consolidating down to one. I ordered a 96x36x25 peninsula from Joe at GC. I’ve got construction delayed because I can’t wrap my head around a closed loop or how to plumb it in the tank. I bought an Abyzz A400, which is better suited for a closed loop then the sump. I just have never had a tank this big nor a closed loop. I thought I would put two mp60s on the far side and push water to the other end. Tank will be 85% SPS/Acro.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every tank i have had no matter how much i test my corals never do good and dont know why

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
every tank i have had no matter how much i test my corals never do good and dont know why
What water source are you using and what test kits?
Have you considered an ICP test?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keepin corals… got metals and stuff in my water that even the ro machine has a hard time taking out. But I switched salts and now I have 5 very happy coral frags in my biocube 32… so a little encouraged there!

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What water source are you using and what test kits?
Have you considered an ICP test?
Where did the rock come from and how old is it
i started it with marco rock and cycled it in a brute for 3 months befor it went in the tank. i have a 5 stage rodi unit and changed filters every 3 to 5 months and change di as needed . i aslo do water changes every 2 weeks am really good at doing my maintance

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 82 47.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back