Reef Crystals This Cannot Be Normal?!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been told by IO that this "brown residue" is a harmless by product that occurs during their mining procedures.

If this harmless by product does this to my mixing bucket & pumps is it not safe to say that it is also having some effect on my DT & equipment?

These pictures were taken after the bucket & power head were soaked in hot vinegar for 8hrs.
c2a79ec5f6e95073cc50c3722fdd4833.jpg

2cc65dde74059b5bb0b2928377913fe7.jpg

9cf1e06a511e5ae3e96b396472c7ea6b.jpg

3e1fc1a32494de36dbacb19f76ef5010.jpg

2a9098900b058735c615843a0521bd1c.jpg

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
20160520_150831.jpg
20160520_151349.jpg
Not sure if you seen this but i think i tagged you in my builthread about a week ago

I get this tan detritus looking crud build up in my on hand 5g bucket that i refill once a week. After everytime i mix up fresh rscp, my pumps and wc tank have this filthy tan gunk buildup on everything. It annoys me a little bit that i have to clean everything for every water change so ive ben slowly switching salt mix

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't get that. I have seen similar mention of the brown residue but I have yet to see it and I use reef crystals (problem mentioned with IO and RC). I was curious and went out with a clean paper towel and wiped the inside of my 44g mixing can and hardly a trace of anything. Always a little salt in the bottom that refuses to mix but that's about it. Of course I never have standing mixed water more than a few hours (well once recently overnight) and I wonder if that's the issue much like Red Sea precipitates snow if let sit more than a few hours.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I really don't get that. I have seen similar mention of the brown residue but I have yet to see it and I use reef crystals (problem mentioned with IO and RC). I was curious and went out with a clean paper towel and wiped the inside of my 44g mixing can and hardly a trace of anything. Always a little salt in the bottom that refuses to mix but that's about it. Of course I never have standing mixed water more than a few hours (well once recently overnight) and I wonder if that's the issue much like Red Sea precipitates snow if let sit more than a few hours.
I forgot to mention, i start to mix my sw friday night, by the time 5pm comes the next day (saturday) the new saltwaters mixed and clear. But i do my changes on sunday, and thats when i start to see the brown residue. I keep a 5 gallon bucket on hand for testing/skimmer makeup/frags ect.. And after 4-5 days ill get this detritus on the bottom of the bucket

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been known to let mix for up to 72hrs but as a rule I use it within 24hrs or less.
So it seems the longer it's allowed to mix the worse the residue accumulates.

jiminy_crime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, that residue happens in most salt mixes that are mixed due to precipitation. I may have been told incorrectly but mine does the same if left mixing for long periods of time.

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only used reef crystals and I get a little brown every once in a while. Sometimes I let my mix sit for a week to ten days and I don't notice a difference in the barrel having more brown. About every 3 months I take my barrel out and pressure wash it but thats just quarterly maintenance.

These threads come up all the time and I don't think I have ever heard of any salt (besides a manufacturer error) to be the cause of any major problems.

Relax and enjoy but if you have to worry concentrate on keeping your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium stable. :D

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try skipping the extended mixing to see if that helps.

It should take around 5-10 minutes to mix saltwater completely - so just use it on the spot.

That's how I've done practically every water change I've ever done...water temp is usually around 70ºF while tank is at 79-82ºF (depending what period of the tank we're talking about).

I've done up to 30% water changes this way with no noticeable effects. (Never had to try bigger...)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a few thread in the past two weeks with members displeasure with RC.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a few thread in the past two weeks with members displeasure with RC.

Consider those few against the likely hundreds or thousands on R2R using it without issue (who have no reason to post).

IO and RC are crazy popular - real issues would not be spotty or related to particular users.

(Been using mostly RC for about 8 years....occasionally IO.)

$0.02

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider those few against the likely hundreds or thousands on R2R using it without issue (who have no reason to post).

IO and RC are crazy popular - real issues would not be spotty or related to particular users.

(Been using mostly RC for about 8 years....occasionally IO.)

$0.02
Just mentioning that there have been more frequent rumbling in other threads.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same stuff left over in my mixing container...I just wipe it up and rinse it out. I mix for 24-72 hours before using the water. No ill effects have been noticed thus far with the tank.

reefn247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issues here thought it was just a bad batch...so bought another box after and still the same brown residue. My friend bought a whole pallet of rc for his 700 gal tank and all the boxes so far mix brow

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back