Reef Crystals This Cannot Be Normal?!

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is part of the extra stuff they put n there. But 3 nights ago wene I did a water change there was about 3 pieces of metal flakes n the bottom took them out and they were rusted pieces of metal. Forget reef crystals

mbemount

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just clean my equipment when my new salt water mix runs out and before I mix anymore. It takes me maybe 5-10 minutes to clean everything and I only have to do it maybe once a week. Very little time on my end to justify paying higher price for salt if IO/RC works fine. Can't see the point to justify paying 50+% more $$ per gallon for salt if IO/RC gets it done and just leaves a little residue in my bucket.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but if you do the math, it's not that much more $. RC mixes up to 200g but at a low salinity like 1.023. The way I mixed it, I could only get 160 gallons out of it, tops.

The "more expensive" brands mix up to 1.026 and make about 140-150 gallons, and if you have a good supplier, you can get it for nearly the same price. At least I do but maybe I'm just lucky.

Add in the fact (well it's my opinion) that the better salts are way more convenient to use...plus did I mention how good Aquacraft smells when it's freshly mixed? I'm not kidding it really does. To the point of weirdness. I think they put some kind of pheromone in it that triggers an endorphin release but only in reefkeepers. I'll have to ask Michael Del Prete about that...

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, serious question.. why would the salt only precipitate in bucket and not in the tank, after a long period of time? What happens in the tank that keeps that from happening?

Exactly. Rushing through the mixing process doesn't alleviate this effect, it hides it. It seems to me that a mixing container is the best place for the sludge to settle.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what he was asking was related to the RSCP video that shows if you mix their salt longer than a few hours, it starts to precipitate. This does not happen if you stop mixing once it's clear.

In contrast to RC, which you are supposedly supposed to mix for 24 hours, and while it doesn't precipitate it does form a mulm that clings to the mixing container walls and sometimes forms on the surface. This does not happen with Aquacraft and I don't think it does with RSCP either.

2 totally different things

MyNameIsAshAndIAmASlave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really researched this topic because of having the same issue with DD H2Ocean salt. I found it is a phosphate remover added to the salt much like the same residue from rowaphos. This may not be 100% accurate but it seems like the most logical explaination since these companies would rather "fix" or hide a problem rather than recall all the salt and remanufacture it entirely. I would suggest cleaning your barrel out each time a batch is made. Vinigar works great and it takes only 10 minutes like another member suggested.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. Rushing through the mixing process doesn't alleviate this effect, it hides it. It seems to me that a mixing container is the best place for the sludge to settle.
That statement is too logical for some people to process.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy Holmes-Farley explained it in another thread about red sea salt precipitating when I asked if it precipitates in a bucket whats to stop that from happening in tank. Basically because in tank organics bind and the precipitation does not happen and if it has already precipitated its harmless and just dissolves . I would say the same thing is true of RC and I certainly don't have brown residue, precipitation or sludge in tank or on pumps.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used RC once and had to deal with the brown residue. I dropped RC and went to Brightwells and have been using Brightwells almost continuously for the last 2 yrs. Sure, it takes 24 hours to mix a batch. But I get consistent results and no residues. All salt mixes will precipitate, I just remember to mix up the powder before I use it. With BRS having free shipping, I get a 5 gal bucket of Brightwells from them for 63 bucks.

cobergas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most residues from the salts are a moisture absorber. The brown residue is a clay added to the salts to absorb moisture and when the salt is mixed seperates from the mix.

I have used a ton of salts.
Aquavitro mixed the dirtiest but also was right on the numbers for what it said it would mix.
AquaCraft.. One salt I have never used.
RSCP- over time and constant use of the same mixing station mixed dirty.
Fritz- Been using for 3+years now and mixes clean and is consistent.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, serious question.. why would the salt only precipitate in bucket and not in the tank, after a long period of time? What happens in the tank that keeps that from happening?

"precipitate" could be an incorrect term for this sediment....

One of RHF's articles that addresses mixing saltwater talks about the temperature differentials created by pumps and heaters causing mineral precipitation.

Seems like seawater contains nearly everything under the sun anyway....and whatever you want to call it, this is stuff is designed as part of the salt mix and obviously causes no issues....other than a discussion like this every so often. ;)

Tropic Marin leaves a black residue (that I also do not worry about), if that makes you feel any better. :)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"precipitate" could be an incorrect term for this sediment....

One of RHF's articles that addresses mixing saltwater talks about the temperature differentials created by pumps and heaters causing mineral precipitation.

Seems like seawater contains nearly everything under the sun anyway....and whatever you want to call it, this is stuff is designed as part of the salt mix and obviously causes no issues....other than a discussion like this every so often. ;)

Tropic Marin leaves a black residue (that I also do not worry about), if that makes you feel any better. :)
I know it's not "precip" but for the sake of this thread, i refered to it as so.

Interesting, I use TMPR and have never seen any residue?

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b6c52d704ec314d2dbfa4127a09bacca.jpg

Last edited:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back