mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f99e97fb748e7e17177fd4e12a0e978c.jpg

LOL. :D

I'd just amend that to "within 4 hours" only cuz I know some people will want to "wait 4 hours".

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same deal as RC and IO....only happens (or gets noticed) with extended mixing.
What if I told y'all that I let my salt mix overnight for almost 20 hours and still don't see any residue? I even use a white bucket. Imagine that? Not even trying to lie or stir the pot. That is the reason I keep using this salt...

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I told y'all that I let my salt mix overnight for almost 20 hours and still don't see any residue? I even use a white bucket. Imagine that? Not even trying to lie or stir the pot. That is the reason I keep using this salt...
The point is, that's NOT what the manufacturer instructs.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RC, 30 gal every 3-4 weeks. I've seen this residue, usually from adding too much salt at mixing time. To correct this issue, I add less salt during the mixing process, wooden paddle to stir, wait till tomorrow, check salinity, adjust. I usually add water. I also stopped using a pump to mix, only to return to DT. My brown residue has never returned.
Salts are funny compounds. Remember this : next party, add kosher salt to your ice and water to keep drinks cold in a cooler. DON'T add too much salt, a hand full, or you will freeze the drinks!
Less is really more here!

ChameleonCoral0279

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always mix my water an hour or 2 before I do my water changes. I use to wonder what it was as I use to mix for 24 hours before water changes and got sick of the build up. It will happen with basically all salt mixes. It made me curious of what it is and I have came to a conclusion that it more than likely is calcium and alkalinity build up. I tested a freshly mixed batch of Reef Crystals. The results came out to be 500 ppm Ca, 9.0 KH, and 1350 Mg. I then let it continue to circulate for 24 hours and tested again. After 24 hours the results came out to 460 ppm Ca, 8.0 KH, 1350 Mg. I once again let it circulate for 48 hours and then tested again. After 48 hours the results came out to 430 ppm Ca, 7.5 KH, and 1320 Mg. Each day there was a little more build up on the container and in the water itself. My guess is just that for some reason it may be that it is beginning to salitify? Is this maybe because there is some thing about the biological system of the aquarium that keeps this from happening? It reminded me of when you first start up a new tank and always end up with a tan film all over even if the sand and rock was thoroughly rinsed and released little to no dust. I'm no scientist, and really can't say exactly why it is, these are just the results of my personal observations of this occurrence during the mixing process and what possibilities I thought it could be caused by.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have a barrel mixing. I don't use it for weeks/months at a time. Maybe that's why my barrel is always brown. You can chisel the stuff off the sides of it.

The place I used to work always had barrels mixing for retail....same story. They didn't change brands often, but all brands they mixed did a similar thing.

I wish the salt makers would all simply print some kind of information about this on the box of salt - it would eliminate a lot of questions.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get a
Exactly what I've done today. Mixed for 2hrs then changed.

I know at one time you were following my thread concerning my "sand bed issues" and this rust colored crap that's been plaguing it.
It still persists. Seemingly gets worse after every WC. Begins to recede around the 2wk mark.
I often wondered if this brown residue from the RC is in part responsible?
ny brown in my mixing buckets but I have had a problem with my sand for the last couple months and it is a new batch of RC. dang I order this stuff 5 boxes at a time.

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used RC since I started in the hobby. The brown crap always bugged me. Recently switched to aquaforest and the difference in mixing is night and day. I love it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get a

ny brown in my mixing buckets but I have had a problem with my sand for the last couple months and it is a new batch of RC. **** I order this stuff 5 boxes at a time.

Not the same thing at all. This post is about something mineral. You are most likely dealing with some kind of algae or diatom, etc.

Use your salt in peace! :) :)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using reef crystals, rscp mixes up real fast and is ready to go right away. The reef crystals if i had to guess takes about 4-7 hours before it turns crystal clear, but if i store it for more then a day gets some caking agent that builds up on the bottom of my buckets. Rscp is clean, never once had issues with it other then the typical white precipitate from storing

Ooh, sorry your original post had me confused. It said when you mixed rscp you got the brown residue

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use tropic marine pro, numerous triton tests show that its not elevated in bad things like tin, vandium etcetera.

This will be my next brand of salt. Since i dont water change often, i dont want tin or vandium in my tanks water.

I wouldnt use salt that turns brown your water. Maybe if they said what it was

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man with three tanks going salt gets expensive. I really want to try the top ones but Amazon $45 for a 200 gallon box for RC with Prime shipping you can't beat it. Not advertising here at all sorry if I broke rules.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man with three tanks going salt gets expensive. I really want to try the top ones but Amazon $45 for a 200 gallon box for RC with Prime shipping you can't beat it. Not advertising here at all sorry if I broke rules.

I know, reefing isnt cheap. But why do water changes? Phosphate? Gfo takes care of it. Calcium and alk? 2 part takes care of that. Trace elements? Dose trace elements. No3? Use an algae turf scrubber takes care of it and po4.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah IO reef crystal has the brown residuals.
Not the case with the regular IO though.
I have great results ever since i made a switch back to the regular IO . The law of reefing has taught me that whatever works in reefing, dont change it..

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back