The brand of sand used or salt isn't tied to sandbed success

Last edited:

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Look anything like this? My SB's been this way for 2yrs!
caaecba76d3adee300a49a9b91b63801.jpg

69fb33bbef9cfb551f9628d16b0a1a21.jpg
!!! Oh no your sand is still like this?!?!? Try to get your hands on a silica test kit if you could and look into it

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard that before it makes good sense, explains a lot.

my tank liked RC was six yrs on it since the lfs that makes my water used it, and all other brands too since then.

What my tank did never varied, wasn't allowed to. Work intervals for me did vary, based on conditions

used peroxide to clean out mixing vat scum, nbd. Neat to know what may have caused that.

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three years on RC, no problems. Never mixed it more then 2 hours. Switched to local brand, after tons of problems, back to RC. Current bucket is a bit low on Mg, but I am handling it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are mixing small batches a paddle works well but 50 gallon batch is not as easy.

As long as you have stir, 50 gallons should not be significantly harder than 5 gallons.

I have recently upgraded to 55 gallon olive barrels for mixing and have done up to 30 gallon batches so far.

I didn't time it, but it was probably 5-10 minutes of mixing for 30 gallons. Only slightly longer than 5 gallons, which takes almost exactly 5 minutes.

Mixing paddles rock for mixing saltwater. :) Given an open-top vessel that you can get near the bottom of, I'm not sure what the practical limit would be.

Cdavis179

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically all we've learned is use the salt that works for you. In all reality the info is so conflicting, mixed and sometimes downright unbelievable, that there is no magical salt mix that is perfect in every way every time. Use the brand you like, if you fail in this hobby it's not likely to be your salts fault! Happy reefing
And honestly that goes for almost any info (there is no quick fix).. If you've been doing this awhile, I think we can all agree consistency is key...

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not the answer they gave me.

The two answers aren't all that incompatible unless you can't think of a mineral that can act as a chelator. ;)

Not a perfect example, but: Selective removal of heavy metals from contaminated kaolin by chelators (preview available) would point you toward clay as a weak chelator.

I haven't been told anything by anyone, but I presume the clay's presence is either entirely coincidental, or they're making use of its weak chelative capability to deliver some trace elements. :)

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Oh no your sand is still like this?!?!? Try to get your hands on a silica test kit if you could and look into it

Using a new 4 stage RO/DI unit from BRS. Have tested ALL water for silicates via Salifert, results were undetectable or zero. TDS are zero, even bought a new meter.

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad someone posted something about this. I genuinely thought that it was algae or something growing in my equipment while making salt with reef crystals. I figured I was making a rookie mistake or something of that flavor.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah IO reef crystal has the brown residuals.
Not the case with the regular IO though.
I have great results ever since i made a switch back to the regular IO . The law of reefing has taught me that whatever works in reefing, dont change it..
I did the same, was so tired of the residue left behind byRC. I have AWC set up using 55 gal container, the salt mix recirculates 24/7 till all used up, which takes about 3-4 weeks, so far with the regular IO no problems

Waxhaw reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Red Sea ,mixed fast, clear but had to use it fast or I got that snow,also alk levels were all over the place, then tried hw reefers but always clouded my tank for a while afterwards by levels were good, then EVS, mixed great, but too much measuring for me, now I use brightwells neomarine, I mix it for a few hours, it's clear in 20 minutes, and levels are always good, no need to add alk or cal or mag!!

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had submitted the following to Marineland about the brown gunk that is left over after mixing their reef crystals salt:

Hello, long time reef crystals user here. Was wondering if you knew what the brown residue is that is left after mixing the salt? I have never had an issue with it causing any problems but my local reef club has several members who are curious about what it is and why it forms. Thank you for your time.

I received this answer:

Hi Chris,

That would be one of two things usually. Either the members need to clean their mixing containers more often (we recommend a diluted vinegar wipe down/rinse after each mix) or the RC is pulling out a heavy metal from the water source and leaving the residue. In most cases, we find it is the first possibility.

Marineland

In my personal case, I would say it is a heavy metal being pulled out of my water. I religiously clean my mixing containers as my fish room shares space with my cat's litter box. I am always worried about litter dust and ammonia. All factors aside, there is no real danger to the brown gunk just wipe it away
icon_e_smile.gif

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had submitted the following to Marineland about the brown gunk that is left over after mixing their reef crystals salt:

Hello, long time reef crystals user here. Was wondering if you knew what the brown residue is that is left after mixing the salt? I have never had an issue with it causing any problems but my local reef club has several members who are curious about what it is and why it forms. Thank you for your time.

I received this answer:

Hi Chris,

That would be one of two things usually. Either the members need to clean their mixing containers more often (we recommend a diluted vinegar wipe down/rinse after each mix) or the RC is pulling out a heavy metal from the water source and leaving the residue. In most cases, we find it is the first possibility.

Marineland

In my personal case, I would say it is a heavy metal being pulled out of my water. I religiously clean my mixing containers as my fish room shares space with my cat's litter box. I am always worried about litter dust and ammonia. All factors aside, there is no real danger to the brown gunk just wipe it away
icon_e_smile.gif
Its a mix of inorganics clay/vitamins/chelated metal and dirt. Its impossible, i clean my wc tank with ro water after every use. Ontop on this i have an 8 stage + my homes tds is only 30 out the tap. So the only metal its binding is the metal in the salt mix already

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think its fine to use in general, because the salt does contain a chelaterto bind metals to be removed out. Every saltmix has inorganics the lay withen it, beside maybe synthetic or anhydrous. Ive used both io and rc for years without not one issue at all other then sometimes rc batch will be off

reefn247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not the answer they gave me. They said that RC contains a chelator and if you use anything other than 0 ppm rodi you will get a brown residue.. The brown is metals that the chelator has removed from the water.
I do have 0ppm rodi h20

stew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used it and had the brown precipitation if mixed for more than a short period of time. Know of an LFS that won't use it.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well regardless of others experiences with RC and the majority of statements that the residue is harmless. I've just proved if to no one else but myself, that there is something amiss with my batch anyways.

Usually within 24hrs or sooner after a 5g WC my SB is covered in brown/rust colored stuff. This has been plaguing me since I set this tank up.

I bought a 50g bag of IO. Did my first 5g WC. Within 24hrs I have zero brown/rust colored stuff on my SB, aside from what was left from previous WC using RC.
My SB is virtually clean! I am ecstatic! It may be harmless stuff but I believe it's responsible for my ugly as sin SB.
12f2ab222dfe1ca05ae62855df8fd79a.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back