Reefers! What is Your Profession?!

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a VW and Audi technician for about 8 years. Then ironworker for 4. Now I'm a steelworker. Actually making steel lol. It's dangerous and a lot of hours. But it funds my Reefing addiction lol.

RAS2REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was an RAS Systems Operator and Facility Manager for several large aquaculture producers for the first 10 years...now I run my own Design/Build Firm for Aquaculture Operations. We provide services to private facilities as well as public/private universities...

Definitely failed at the whole "don't take your work home with you" mantra...although i never had tanks until I started my own business...go figure...

ztc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
genuinely curious, why a podiatrist instead of some sort of other doctor? Less school and more life than getting an MD? I know that’s why I decided to get into real estate than becoming a doctor. Always wanted to be a pediatric cardio thoracic surgeon because I had heart surgery when I was a baby but being done with school and residency well into my 30s, no thanks.

I’m a UK trained podiatrist now residing in Australia. I wanted the Visa to gain permanent residency into Australia, biggest driving factor. Lifestyle change from the UK.

MD takes too long, not huge fan of university. Podiatrist is 4 years, MD is 5 years plus 3-6 years for specialty. All the DRs I know are miserable, work to much, too much stress

Podiatry is great career, super easy, good money, loads of jobs (no one wants to do it), with fantastic work to life balance, very few pods that have met in Australia work 5 days. I do about 30 hours a week.

FishingMachine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Environmental program manager and fisheries biologist by training, specializing in biotelemetry (fish tagging and tracking) and fisheries infrastructure, mostly working with juvenile salmon. As part of my job, my team also manages a small coldwater aquaculture facility for short-term holding of fish used in field studies.

I might have a slight obsession with fish lol.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Disabled veteran but now I own an equipment rental company. Trying to keep the income passive because my injuries really make it hard to do much physical work/activity now. But I still wrench on equipment as needed and also drive the semi to deliver.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Reefers!
We can’t all be Marine Biologists or Oceanographers, our lives take us on different paths sometimes. I’m a Journeyman Millwright of 20 years, basically an industrial mechanic. My super power is the ability to look at mechanical things that fail or need servicing, and figure out how to do so.

This ability and training allows me to diagnose and rectify many mechanical issues with reef tanks. I am also conditioned to perform regular maintenance routines on my tanks as well.

So my question to you is, what is YOUR profession, and how does it help you with reefing? :thinking-face:
On this site I was just called Just another Plumber by some child. I worked in the piping trade for 25 years as a steam fitter all Industrial. Them
n another 28 in HVAC ie heating and refrigeration. So have sometimes dangerous knowledge of electrical. But still enough sense to stop at a certain point. I too love figuring out how to fix things, and take things apart. I once poked a hole in the fabric of our old television back in the sixty's to see where the sound came from

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Career #1A: high school IB biology and Enviro Sci teacher. This is my 5th year of teaching.

Career #1B: reef aquarium design, installation, and management company owner. 20 yrs in business, 30 yrs of work experience.

I haven’t had my own tank for over 20 yrs, but set up a 180 mixed reef in my classroom this year. It’s been fun. My work experience helps me because I have probably seen every possible thing that could ever happen in a reef tank, and have probably seen them at least 100 times.
I love the glassy eyes when you describe the Nitrogen cycle. Maybe you can give me a few tips?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Window cleaner
FB_IMG_1706972797965.jpg
Wow how many gallons is that?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back