Reefers! What is Your Profession?!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add how I think it helps in Reefing. Well, problem solving is my job and putting my tanks together with needed components is part of the enjoyment itself. I am heavy in the DIY part so it helps with costs of the hobby.
Great I saved huge on screen tops. Could not believe what they wanted for them

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Reefers!
We can’t all be Marine Biologists or Oceanographers, our lives take us on different paths sometimes. I’m a Journeyman Millwright of 20 years, basically an industrial mechanic. My super power is the ability to look at mechanical things that fail or need servicing, and figure out how to do so.

This ability and training allows me to diagnose and rectify many mechanical issues with reef tanks. I am also conditioned to perform regular maintenance routines on my tanks as well.

So my question to you is, what is YOUR profession, and how does it help you with reefing? :thinking-face:
Love the question very interesting thread

KitchmyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Project Engineer who designs water parks. Reefing has a lot of cross overs to pool design just on a smaller scale, such as all the hydraulics (piping, sump, weirs, etc.), equipment (pumps, filters, controllers, etc.), and chemical levels / dosing (although VERY different chemicals are used! ).

Makes it easier to learn the ins and outs of reefing as it’s much the same principles and ideas we use in water parks!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Project Engineer who designs water parks. Reefing has a lot of cross overs to pool design just on a smaller scale, such as all the hydraulics (piping, sump, weirs, etc.), equipment (pumps, filters, controllers, etc.), and chemical levels / dosing (although VERY different chemicals are used! ).

Makes it easier to learn the ins and outs of reefing as it’s much the same principles and ideas we use in water parks!
Just don't mention gate valves are not designed for flow control. I got my head bit off for mentioning Globe valves

FernFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36 years software engineering currently working space program. The way I spend money, especially on aquariums, I'll probably work until I go belly up or my brain goes whichever one comes first :zany-face:
What’s your favorite programming language

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a medical device sales and clinical rep and I love what I do. My niche is that I’m a cardiac imaging expert and my product is an imaging catheter that takes pictures from inside the heart.
ICE ICE baby.

Former Cath Lab/ Electrophysiology tech turned cardiac mapper for EP procedures. Also did Pacemaker and Defibrillators for a while. Finally enjoying the "no call" life.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a 33 year Pharmacist (close to retirement). And in college concentrated on Chemistry, Biology, Zoology and Mathematics. All of these (minus mathematics) have helped me with the management of ecosystems and how chemistry works in said ecosystems. I'm gonna train my daughter on ALL the ins and outs of thr hobby. Once she's done with her 'internship' I'll turn over most responsibility to her and share the love of the hobby.

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ICE ICE baby.

Former Cath Lab/ Electrophysiology tech turned cardiac mapper for EP procedures. Also did Pacemaker and Defibrillators for a while. Finally enjoying the "no call" life.
I think we work for the same comapany, lol? I’ve yet to run into another reefer in the company! I’m going to send you a PM!

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started as a biology teacher for 7 years, but, due to low teacher pay in my region, moved into industry as a chemical lab manager and spent 7 years in that job. Now a retired Environmental Engineer with 23 years in that field. Lots of crossover between the water treatment, filtration, pollution control aspects of my job and reef keeping, especially the equipment.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back