Reefkinetics Reefbot

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awful lot of guessing going on there. Please continue. I find it entertaining.
Jim,

I am in a particularly busy period of my life and I haven’t been able to look into all the methods to determine Ca and Mg in seawater. I would love to know more about your innovations, but I suspect you can’t share much. Are there published methods for a single reagent titration to determine Ca and Mg in the literature? Anything you can share about the chemistry of the methods utilized by Trident?

Thanks for your contributions to our understanding of chemistry relating to reefkeeping. We appreciate your help and input!

Rush

Last edited:

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just speculation here, but I would probably assume the wet carpet came because the seal on that pump died, everytime the stepper moved it likely just leaked more and more water. You didnt by chance seal the waste container airtight did you? If so you could be trying to pump into a sealed container and causing back pressure on the pump seal. you want it to be able to push air out without much resistance.

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just speculation here, but I would probably assume the wet carpet came because the seal on that pump died, everytime the stepper moved it likely just leaked more and more water. You didnt by chance seal the waste container airtight did you? If so you could be trying to pump into a sealed container and causing back pressure on the pump seal. you want it to be able to push air out without much resistance.

No it's not sealed airtight. Support replied with the following.
First I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that was caused to you.
Replying to your question, no it is not supposed to be like that and this is not normal behavior of the device.
Let me explain the main cause of this unfortunate issue:
- One of the valves ( valves 1 or 2) has failed, leading to an overflowing relief valve ( the upper valve), this valve is not supposed to leak water.
- The saltwater leaking from the relief valve rusted out the Ro draining pump.
So replacing the pump alone without fixing the main cause of the problem will only postpone the issue until the new pump starts rusting again.
To ensure this issue will not happen again, we will send you as soon as possible, a brand new pump, and brand new valves along with tutorial videos on how to replace them.
The valves in question here are the one directly connected to the Tank water input and the one directly above it.

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's not sealed airtight. Support replied with the following.
First I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that was caused to you.
Replying to your question, no it is not supposed to be like that and this is not normal behavior of the device.
Let me explain the main cause of this unfortunate issue:
- One of the valves ( valves 1 or 2) has failed, leading to an overflowing relief valve ( the upper valve), this valve is not supposed to leak water.
- The saltwater leaking from the relief valve rusted out the Ro draining pump.
So replacing the pump alone without fixing the main cause of the problem will only postpone the issue until the new pump starts rusting again.
To ensure this issue will not happen again, we will send you as soon as possible, a brand new pump, and brand new valves along with tutorial videos on how to replace them.
The valves in question here are the one directly connected to the Tank water input and the one directly above it.

I would like to see the video if possible when ya do get it .. just to educate myself if ever I need to know anything abt that

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
050DDDBA-6DD1-40A7-A2BE-94FF087A1CCA.jpeg

The ReefBot is now compatible with API Ammonia test kit. You can read your ammonia levels between 0 and 8 ppm!

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits is everyone using, got my bot 2 days ago and decided to start with api and go from there, the api calcium seems to be a good choice but the alk goes by 1 dkh increments which is terrible accuracy. Same issue with nitrate and phosphate as well. I have a red sea alk kit already so ill probably try that as alk, any suggestions for phos/nitrate?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits is everyone using, got my bot 2 days ago and decided to start with api and go from there, the api calcium seems to be a good choice but the alk goes by 1 dkh increments which is terrible accuracy. Same issue with nitrate and phosphate as well. I have a red sea alk kit already so ill probably try that as alk, any suggestions for phos/nitrate?
Topic Marin NO3 and Red Sea PO4.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using RedSea Alk, API Ca, TM NO3, and RedSea PO4 for the past 2 months with no issues. Am very satisfied with the Reefbot and those reagents.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefbot is on order, whoohoo! Is there an FAQ on the test kits so I know exactly what I need to order? Looking for Phosphates, nitrates, calcium, and mag. I’d like to be able to leave phosphates and nitrates in the machine, and swap Calc/mag as needed.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefbot is on order, whoohoo! Is there an FAQ on the test kits so I know exactly what I need to order? Looking for Phosphates, nitrates, calcium, and mag. I’d like to be able to leave phosphates and nitrates in the machine, and swap Calc/mag as needed.
I use and recommend Red Sea Alk and PO4, API Ca and Tropic Marin NO3. Mg tests are all about the same I think. Red Sea seems fine and seems to be more cost effective. More tests before you have to refill the vials.

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Remember you have to buy 2 of the nitrate kits (fauna or tropic) to fill the vial with the smallest reagent. It doesnt bring enough to fill it up but consumes very slowly as it used very little per test. Buy refill kits when possible (they are less expensive)
I also use
Red sea alk - api calcium - red sea po4 - fauna no3

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm the only one struggling a little...

I'm just working with one parameter at a time until I determine which one works best for me. After repairing my bot I figured I would start over with the basic one, Alkalinity. Following are most recent results.

Manual Tests Done While the Bot was doing tests
Hanna - 8.28 (Based on published accuracy it could be anywhere from 8.0 - 8.56). I also used a Certified Standard Kit to make sure the device was reporting accurately and it was.
Salifert - 8.2
Red Sea - 8.0
Giesemann Manual - 8.4
Aquaforest - 7.2
Seachem - 6.0

Bot Tests
Salifert - "Results cannot be determined". I did the test twice same results. I then went to the store and bought two more Test Kits of this and filled up two brand new vials and did the test again. Same result?
API - 9.0
Red Sea - 7.3 (Accuracy is +- 1dKH so I guess I have to accept this)

Any idea on the Salifert test?

For others that are using Red Sea, do you notice that the bot is usually lower than your manual test?

I'll be contacting support on the Salifert but I always like to know if the community has any ideas as well and more importantly if you are experiencing the same type of things.

Thanks.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm the only one struggling a little...

I'm just working with one parameter at a time until I determine which one works best for me. After repairing my bot I figured I would start over with the basic one, Alkalinity. Following are most recent results.

Manual Tests Done While the Bot was doing tests
Hanna - 8.28 (Based on published accuracy it could be anywhere from 8.0 - 8.56). I also used a Certified Standard Kit to make sure the device was reporting accurately and it was.
Salifert - 8.2
Red Sea - 8.0
Giesemann Manual - 8.4
Aquaforest - 7.2
Seachem - 6.0

Bot Tests
Salifert - "Results cannot be determined". I did the test twice same results. I then went to the store and bought two more Test Kits of this and filled up two brand new vials and did the test again. Same result?
API - 9.0
Red Sea - 7.3 (Accuracy is +- 1dKH so I guess I have to accept this)

Any idea on the Salifert test?

For others that are using Red Sea, do you notice that the bot is usually lower than your manual test?

I'll be contacting support on the Salifert but I always like to know if the community has any ideas as well and more importantly if you are experiencing the same type of things.

Thanks.

Hello,

You get with salifert Results cannot be determined if the colors don't match the usual salifert colors which most of the time a caused by low water volume in testing chamber or because of the reagents.
I would advise talking directly with Maya our chemist, she will help you with identifying the issue and fixing it.

You already know that she can be reached directly on [email protected] :D

Cheers,
Rabih

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 18 10.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 59 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%

Back