ReefSquad and R2R STAFF GIVEAWAY CONTEST

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option, @RichtheReefer21 is to take all legitimate guess attempts after the 24 hour window, write the post number on a piece of paper, and pick 3 out of a hat at random. I do not think anyone would scoff at that.

Then, whatever you pick, that is the worm, LOL. Some things are just tough to make a 100% positive ID without personal observation or dissection.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option, @RichtheReefer21 is to take all legitimate guess attempts after the 24 hour window, write the post number on a piece of paper, and pick 3 out of a hat at random. I do not think anyone would scoff at that.

Then, whatever you pick, that is the worm, LOL. Some things are just tough to make a 100% positive ID without personal observation or dissection.
That's another good idea Caveman! But to be honest @RichtheReefer21 whatever you decide is fine my friend.

I had a blast and I'm sure everyone else did as well. Sometimes the journey is more rewarding than the destination! I can probably speak for most of us when I say what you are doing is great and we really appreciate people like you. It's the kindness and thoughtfulness you have displayed that makes R2R a special place. We had fun and I hope you figure out the mystery beast that lurks in the depths of your tank. :)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was done to avoid shipping costs;);Hilarious

I just re read that whole post. That's hilarious. I was really hoping @Lasse would stop in and join the fun considering his bobbit worm experience with the anaconda his friend found last year. Ha.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option, @RichtheReefer21 is to take all legitimate guess attempts after the 24 hour window, write the post number on a piece of paper, and pick 3 out of a hat at random. I do not think anyone would scoff at that!

I spit out my tea when I read this. Died laughin' bri.. whew, big breaths.

See, where I went wrong was...

I should have consulted someone with planning ahead skills like yourself to assist in the logistics of the giveaway. I just jump into fires and then MacGuyver everything with duct tape and zip ties! :D

No worries as long as you promise to help @RichtheReefer21 with the answer key - he seems to have misplaced his copy! :)

Well, you see, uhm... ya....

;Muted

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's another good idea Caveman! But to be honest @RichtheReefer21 whatever you decide is fine my friend.

I had a blast and I'm sure everyone else did as well. Sometimes the journey is more rewarding than the destination! I can probably speak for most of us when I say what you are doing is great and we really appreciate people like you. It's the kindness and thoughtfulness you have displayed that makes R2R a special place. We had fun and I hope you figure out the mystery beast that lurks in the depths of your tank. :)
Thanks for the thoughtful messages shawn. And if you all (The squad and staff) have enjoyed it and get to be on the receiving end of things for a giveaway, I couldnt resist the idea of reefsquad members bickering over the details of a juvenile 1" worm I found in my tank by luck. And I couldnt think of a more fitting gesture than spreading my favorite coral colony across the tanks of the ones who got me here and made it possible to grow such a beautiful piece of the marine world in my home.

#r2rforlife
#r2r4life

I am going to charge my phone, I will try to announce the winners tonight.

Last edited:

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking bobbit because of the head but the eyes threw me but there were a few other guesses that looked a lot like it too.... Not really sure ;)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad and #r2rstaff

PM me your final guesses if you havent already guessed.

If you have guessed/speculated 2 or more different species in this thread YOU MUST CHOOSE 1 AND PM ME.

DUE TO INTERNATIONAL TIME ZONE DIFFERENCES, THE NEW PM ENTRY DEADLINE IS GOING TO BE 8 A.M. EASTERN STANDARD TIME (EST)

Winners will be announced at 10 A.M. EST ON JUNE 4TH.

Thanks to everyone who has helped make this possible. Including @thejuice24 over at Craftsman Corals.

Thanks for the saw Johnny ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJ has bowed out of this since he already has a dendro, and thus assisted me in the I.D. of this worm.

Doing a few double checks on some guesses that weren't what KJ thinks it might be. To make sure before we announce the winners.

Hang tight!

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RichtheReefer21 this thread is cutting edge brother;Woot;Woot This is my first time seeing it.

I am going with Lumbricus terrestris to add a mystery with in a mystery:eek::D:D

Too funny. EARTHWORM IS THE WINNER! I'll frame a photo of the dendro and send u it. :p

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... it's down to 2 in my mind.

@KJ 's I.D. :
Phyllodocidae
Phyllodocidae.jpg

My second option, and they are very close:
Platynereis
efc32d1d95df3f942d1cb163110186eb_f6504.jpg

If you watch my video, when the worm is viewed from the top down, I think I see 2 sets of "red eyes". Which is making me lean to Platynereis.

To be honest I do not feel comfortable or think I have a position based off me being a novice to declare the correct specie. Ugh

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not want to step on toes. But the phyllo clearly has 2 eyes in all the pictures I saw...

Unless I am mistaken, zoom in on the head area... this photo was taken from my video...

Screenshot_20190604-114417_Video Player.jpg

It clearly has 4 eyes or red Marks. I cannot find a photo of a Phyllo with the same markings or 4 eyes

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 106 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%
Back