Removable stand doors?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see some deisgns of doors some people used on their stands. I'm looking to build some sort of door that is either removable or slides completely out of the way for maintenance.

BMW540

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnets are the way to go IMO. Don't have a final picture, but that shows when I started running wires neatly.

IMG_6775.JPG

IMG_6776.JPG

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnets are the way to go IMO. Don't have a final picture, but that shows when I started running wires neatly.

IMG_6775.JPG

IMG_6776.JPG
Going to Home Depot tomorrrow to look for stuff to skin my stand. Yours looks really nice! Any tips? I love your stand.

BMW540

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1/2" oak ply and then ripped 1x for the trim. Use an entire piece for each side to make it more rigid and then use a flush cut bit to create the openings. The doors were thrown together quickly to appease my wife, but I plan on rebuilding them at some point to make them sturdier (going to keep the beadboard though).

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1/2" oak ply and then ripped 1x for the trim. Use an entire piece for each side to make it more rigid and then use a flush cut bit to create the openings. The doors were thrown together quickly to appease my wife, but I plan on rebuilding them at some point to make them sturdier (going to keep the beadboard though).
Thanks for this. I am looking to get a piece of plywood for the side and then try to figure out my door situation. Didn't even think about the trkmnwork being a piece of oak itself. Nice job. May tips for my doors? That's my biggest problem now is to get them flush yet removable. I've though of sliding doors, hidged doors, can't figure what to do.

BMW540

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. I am looking to get a piece of plywood for the side and then try to figure out my door situation. Didn't even think about the trkmnwork being a piece of oak itself. Nice job. May tips for my doors? That's my biggest problem now is to get them flush yet removable. I've though of sliding doors, hidged doors, can't figure what to do.
I used pine 1x since you can get it primed. The doors have a tab attached at the bottom that rests on the inside of the stand and the magnet latches at the top. That way they are at the same height and they'll have to be centered to latch properly.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used pine 1x since you can get it primed. The doors have a tab attached at the bottom that rests on the inside of the stand and the magnet latches at the top. That way they are at the same height and they'll have to be centered to latch properly.

So did you cut the holes for the doors out of the oak itself? Or just framed from the stand itself?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20161021_221438.jpg

They r crooked in this pix. Lol. But I just hung mine like a picture frame.

Great idea! I'm thinking of something similar or a whole removable front cover. I originally wanted to put a window into my refugium.

BMW540

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you cut the holes for the doors out of the oak itself? Or just framed from the stand itself?
The openings were cut out of the oak ply, but the dimensions were determined by the framing of the stand. After it was framed, I attached a sheet of ply to each side and then used a flush cut router bit to match the openings from the framed portion.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The openings were cut out of the oak ply, but the dimensions were determined by the framing of the stand. After it was framed, I attached a sheet of ply to each side and then used a flush cut router bit to match the openings from the framed portion.

If it isn't a pain, can I see the back of the door itself? Is the tab on the door or the stand.

Dwb5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! I'm thinking of something similar or a whole removable front cover. I originally wanted to put a window into my refugium.
Thanks. If u do this I recommend putting those little rubber pieces on the bottom to help hold them in place.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. If u do this I recommend putting those little rubber pieces on the bottom to help hold them in place.
There you go again with another great idea!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back