Renee's Nano Pred Tankmates

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what lil'' cutie does @Lionfish Lair plan to torture me with today?!?!? ;)
Omg WHY do you want to start the torture back up today? I went online and started looking at the ones Renee had on here last night!! :confused: I really want a few and a baby snow flake eel!! One of the members had one as a hitchhiker, I was soooo jealous, I was thinking , well if that happened to me 2 things would occur, 1. Perfect excuse to have one 2. I'd have to get a bigger tank

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg WHY do you want to start the torture back up today? I went online and started looking at the ones Renee had on here last night!! :confused: I really want a few and a baby snow flake eel!! One of the members had one as a hitchhiker, I was soooo jealous, I was thinking , well if that happened to me 2 things would occur, 1. Perfect excuse to have one 2. I'd have to get a bigger tank

Not gonna lie. I literally had a dream about getting a dwarf golden eel last night. I had no eel plans, so I don't even know how that ended up in my head.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until you get them in your tanks. I love when people get them and see that they do indeed have different personalities and movements than other fish. I started with seahorses and kept them for 15 years, but when I started introducing scorps into the collection, I realized I also loved vacations. Dudes, it's so nice feeding only 3 times a week. I went on a 20 days vacation a few months ago and had one of the kids come in and pour some live guppies in there mid way through. Finding tank-sitters were such a pain..... not anymore.

It's true that the tank can seem a little motionless at time if they are just chillin' and digesting. That's why I like to put in a couple of 'regular" fish. They won't always be hunkered down though, anytime I go into the garage the Cockatoo is up swimming trying to get my attention.

I still dream of owning a Dragon Eel and a real Stonefish.

Ravan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted a fu but don't think that will happen now that Florida doesn't allow them to be brought into the state. [emoji17] Anyone know where I can get one in central Florida or a Florida supplier who can then mail it to me?

FilterFreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did I stop what I was doing and read all 5 pages of this thread? Im in big trouble now !!! Actually I have a Radiata Lionfish on order, it may be in now... I had one years ago, fabuloso fish indeed... I had to get another, singing doooo wah ditty ditty dum ditty dooo... LOL

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted a fu but don't think that will happen now that Florida doesn't allow them to be brought into the state. [emoji17] Anyone know where I can get one in central Florida or a Florida supplier who can then mail it to me?

Fus aren't illegal. They are a Dendrochirus genus and the banned genus is Pterois.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the dragon eel isn't part of your new tank set up, correct? Or can they live happily with all of your other predators in that tank size?

Unfortunately he could be in a species only tank.

what would be the most ideal and safest way to acclimate one of these guys? do methods vary for each?

I don't acclimate. It would no different than any other fish, however.

Actually I have a Radiata Lionfish on order, it may be in now... I had one years ago, fabuloso fish indeed... I had to get another, singing doooo wah ditty ditty dum ditty dooo... LOL

Oh make sure you show us pictures!!! Radiatas are a nice calm lion.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is is an awesome size Lion. their mouths are unusually small for a lion and they are a dwarf to boot!

Dendrochirus biocellatus
(Fu Manchu)
biocellatusquickstats.jpg

Maximum Size: 4" - 5" TL
Habitat: Caves and crevices..
Diet: can be very difficult to convert to frozen.
Degree of Difficulty: Moderate due to dietary requirements.
Minimum Tank Size: 25 gallons.
Special Considerations: Venomous.​
A primarily crepuscular fish, this little lion is a bit more reclusive, preferring to remain in caves and crevices throughout the day, becoming more active under dim lighting. They can be trained, however, to venture out when the lights are on as a learned response to a feeding routine. Their hunting behavior involves shaking of the head to and fro and fanning the dorsal spines in a rhythmic, undulating pattern.. Like other lionfish, they also spread and shake their pectoral fins in an effort to confuse and corral their prey. They have one of the most beautiful and mesmerizing hunting displays I have witnessed. Its natural diet is shrimp and small benthic fish. They are notoriously hard at being weaned from live to frozen fare. Some never convert at all and must be fed live food their entire lives.

Their small size makes them perfect for the smaller “aggressive”aquarium, however, special attention must be paid to potential food competitors. This species is not as common as some of the other dwarf lions, but is occasionally available.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Scorpaeniformes
Family: Scorpaenidae
Subfamily: Pteroinae
Genus: Dendrochirus
Species: biocellatus

gallerybiocellatus2.jpg

gallerybiocellatus3.jpg

gallerybiocellatus5.jpg

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the love goodness!!!! Killing me!!!!!! :eek:

Soooo cute!!!

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fus are on my must have list for the nano predator tank I don't own and will pretend I am not going to buy.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scorpaenodes caribbaeus
(Reef Scorpionfish)
caribbaeusquickstats.jpg

Maximum Size: 4.75" TL​
Habitat:Found associated with reefs.
Diet: Medium difficulty due to initial timidness
Minimum Tank Special Considerations: Venomous.
Size: 30 gallons.
R
ather common on the reefs, but not very common in the trade, these fish are perfect for a smaller setup. These fish are a bit cryptic at first, and even after becoming established, are often found upside down in caves and overhangs, or strands of macroalgae. They do not require the substrate real estate of some scorps due to this behavior. Our specimen definitely makes its presence known when it sees us in front of the tank, hoping for a tasty morsel. This fish can be recognized by its spotted fins, as well as a mask of spots across its eyes, and a line of spots on the caudal peduncle. Our specimen was originally white overall, with a dark diagonal band across its body, but the white background is now a nice pastel salmon color. This fish was “medium” difficulty in terms of weaning, and is now a solid stick feeder, although it would suffer from competition.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Scorpaeniformes
Family: Scorpaenidae
Subfamily: Scorpaeninae
Genus: Scorpenodes
Species: caribbaeus

gallerycaribbaeus1.jpg

gallerycaribbaeus3.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back