Returning to reefing after a 6 year hiatus.....and one quick question

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back boomerang..

theoretically some setting could have taken place that would result in an uneven distribution of some trace elements.... but I would use it

200-2.gif

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that the salt you have is mineral and loaded with minerals. If it is sealed, it should be good. The only caveat being if you are using their bio active salt, which may have bacteria that is no longer viable. As for minerals, you should be ok.
Just to clarify....Tropic Marin Bio Actif Salt contains "prebiotic compounds", not actual dormant bacteria. These prebiotics act a food for beneficial bacteria. So there is no actual bacteria to degrade in time.

Again, this is just for clarification. :)

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify....Tropic Marin Bio Actif Salt contains "prebiotic compounds", not actual dormant bacteria. These prebiotics act a food for beneficial bacteria. So there is no actual bacteria to degrade in time.

Again, this is just for clarification. :)
Even better! Thank you.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Just joined up (heard about the forum from BRSTV) and wanted to say hi. I've kept freshwater aquariums successfully my entire life. About 15 years ago I set up my first reef tank (a 55 gallon) with some success. I then graduated to a 135 gallon using a combo of halide and power compacts. I had some success there as well, but then about 6 years ago we rebuilt our house and I had to break it down. I've been out of it pretty much since.

About a year ago, I decided to jump back in using a 92 gallon corner tank that I had. As I started to set it up I was blown away how much the hobby has advanced in 6 years! I've got a lot of catching up to do! BRSTV has been extremely helpful in that regard. I'm looking forward to learning more using these forums!

I did have one quick question. I have a lot of old equipment from 6 years ago that I'm going through and using. I also had an unopened bucket of Tropic Marin reef salt. I'm assuming that the salt is fine to use after 6 years but I wanted ask if anyone knows if there's some kind of "shelf life" for reef salts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome! Glad you found this site and joined. Defer to others, but I'd use that salt without concerns.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back