Returning to the hobby - Any LED systems that look like metal halide?

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if only they would catch up with the time and actually write a decent UI for the application. I cringe and involuntarily twitch every time I see the Reefi UI

The 90's called and want their Netscape UI back. LOL
I like the app, easy to use.
1704623832315.png

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 months growth under Reefi, seriously I can't say enough good things about these lights!
1703849615128.png

I’ve compared pictures and I see 6 months of purchases and not 6 months of growth

Almost anything in the original spot in the first pic, is not in the second pic and grown

Anything significant in the second pic is not in the first pic.

Bare spots in the first pic are filled in with corals in the second pic.

Small corals in the first pic that I can find in the second pic, are still small

6 months of growth? You are not growing coral from bare rock. The statement is a little deceiving. Sure some things have grown, but you should focus on those things with individual pictures to make a point. Anyone comparing the pics will see bare rock, then coral filled rock, and your claim that the reefi grew this is inaccurate.

Here is 9 months of growth for 2 torch in my tank, same corals and location and 9 months growth for a favia, different location but same tank and lighting.

If you want to make a point about coral growth, and I do think the reefi is a great light, then this is how to do it.

4226039E-544E-41DD-804F-D47555B3D126.jpeg 77ACFB19-A6AA-4FE8-A396-2ACFFF5A1BA1.jpeg 55BB4FE3-AE04-4BB5-8FE5-C31CA1E75365.jpeg F2436A25-5006-45BA-A1B7-333FD8312D31.jpeg

Last edited:

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the app, easy to use.
1704623832315.png
Yeah but you have to admit the app UI looks like something somebody's grandmother threw together from a Frontpage template My friend and I (both software engineers) have been telling Daniel for years to update his UI to make it look more professional and polished. It wouldn't even take much either but he seems pretty stubborn and set in his ways. Sighs ...

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve compared pictures and I see 6 months of purchases and not 6 months of growth

Almost anything in the original spot in the first pic, is not in the second pic and grown

Anything significant in the second pic is not in the first pic.

Bare spots in the first pic are filled in with corals in the second pic.

Small corals in the first pic that I can find in the second pic, are still small

6 months of growth? You are not growing coral from bare rock. The statement is a little deceiving. Sure some things have grown, but you should focus on those things with individual pictures to make a point. Anyone comparing the pics will see bare rock, then coral filled rock, and your claim that the reefi grew this is inaccurate.

Here is 9 months of growth for 2 torch in my tank, same corals and location and 9 months growth for a favia, different location but same tank and lighting.

If you want to make a point about coral growth, and I do think the reefi is a great light, then this is how to do it.

4226039E-544E-41DD-804F-D47555B3D126.jpeg 77ACFB19-A6AA-4FE8-A396-2ACFFF5A1BA1.jpeg 55BB4FE3-AE04-4BB5-8FE5-C31CA1E75365.jpeg F2436A25-5006-45BA-A1B7-333FD8312D31.jpeg

Not the best shots because I never attempted to closely monitor growth rate and I had to hunt for old pics to new pics I have taken, but here’s Acropora Florida - first one taken on May 22, second was taken Dec 23 - that’s 20 months worth of growth with fragging along the way.

~4cm to ~40cm or ~1.57” to ~15.75” in your imperial measurements.

You can also see the Wall Gold Hammer, though it is closed on the second photo (and yes, it did touch both the Florida and the Spatulatha on the other side)

IMG_4567.jpeg

IMG_1983.jpeg

And if think “a frag here or a frag there” doesn’t matter, this is the size of the frags I do, when I do them to keep things from touching each other:

IMG_2441.jpeg

Anyone can show off what they grow and how well they do it, it can be done under lots of different lightings, and under lots of different conditions - but all I see you did in your post here is to try and bully someone new for showing off his creation.
It’s a lame move.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bullying, just constructive criticism. If you make an claim about coral growth, then have photos that demonstrate it.

My photos aren’t a “I’m better than you” or anyone else statement. It was an example of how to back up a claim. Ex: Here’s what happened over 9 months, with a before and after to support the claim. Someone can do better or worse. His tank is nice, his corals are nice, his light is nice, and that’s what the photos show. They don’t show, not clearly at least, 6 months of growth.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to reach out to @Bruttall for a moment and apologize.

I spoke to Dany and he made me aware that I came across as possibly hurtful and I want to publicly apologize to you. It was not my intent, but in retrospect I see Dany’s point.

First off - Bruttal has an amazing tank and everyone should check out his build thread. I mean it, it’s a full wall tank with a fantastic custom built filtration system and when I saw it I was truly impressed

Second off - I do agree with him that the Reefi lights are extremely good - and they have an almost cult like following. They are not the cheapest, nor are they the most expensive, but they do offer tremendous value and power.

Third - my comment was intended to be constructive criticism as is often used in the photo section of the forum. It’s not personal. I was trying to point out issues with the claim, and offer advice and examples on how to improve. I realize this is where I went wrong and maybe overboard and I apologize.

You do have a great tank, and corals, my suggestion is take photos of individual items every few weeks or month, and then you will be able to document how much growth you have, and can even make a thread about the capabilities of the reefi’s and showcase your favorites.

Again, sorry for the tone that came across over text, I did not mean to offend. Trying to guide. I realize I could have phrased things or explained better. I hope there are no hard feelings, and if there are feel free to take it offline with me via DM.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off - Bruttal has an amazing tank and everyone should check out his build thread. I mean it, it’s a full wall tank with a fantastic custom built filtration system and when I saw it I was truly impressed.
Thank YOU! This made my year. I have to admit I love when people see my tank in person for the first time, the eyes widen, jaw drops slightly and usually they exclaim, "oh **** dude!" Guess I love the attention :)

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your point on the growth, it is a little misleading, but I posted it for this coral, the birdsnest, I should have pointed that out, I am sorry for being confusing.

1704720557835.png

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oct 12th to Jan 8th, 4 months of growth. I did add 1 more torch to this shelf. the 3rd from left was added after top picture was taken. FYI the only "coral food" I dose is Live Hatched brine, but about once or twice month I use a coral snow flocculant with Selcon, ZEOPlus, and Microbacter7 added to it. The spots on the glass are pods :)

1704721574271.png

20240108_074520[1].jpg

Encrusting I been growing by accident.
1704721930755.png
1704721949279.png
Also 4 months apart in pictures.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil for sure. But to be honest, just get some reefbrites with twin arc bulbs and the blue LED bar for supplement.
How long they'll produce twin arc bulbs? Radium bulbs are already discounted.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back