Reviews of SB Reef Lights

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur, the 16" will be plenty. That leaves a 4" space to spread on each end. I run a 32" over a 48"x24" tank @13" above water line and it works perfect for my setup. I'm pulling all new colors from my sps, zoas open wide to bask in the light, lps show more extension than prior to this light. I am THOROUGHLY impressed!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur, the 16" will be plenty. That leaves a 4" space to spread on each end. I run a 32" over a 48"x24" tank @13" above water line and it works perfect for my setup. I'm pulling all new colors from my sps, zoas open wide to bask in the light, lps show more extension than prior to this light. I am THOROUGHLY impressed!
Yea, ugg. I have it on my 30g cube and now Im eyeballing the 55g for an upgrade(ai sols). I better get something REAL nice for the MRS on mothers day!
My Ponape birdsnest I transferred just changed color completely.

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still very happy with my SBs. My cell phone seems to pick up the red spectrum a lot, though that is not visible to the eye. Here is a last video before I do my tank expansion. I am hoping not to knock things out of whack in doing this. The additional 80 gallon display will also have two 36" SB Reef Lights over it.
http://vid1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc458/kevlow1/VID_20170515_172323.mp4

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SB Update:
IMG_8007.JPG
IMG_7964.JPG
IMG_8023.JPG

wooglins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running some generic wifi reef radience clones for about 3 years. Each has some bum leds, so I ordered the sbox to replace them. I like the arrangement of led's as well as the clearly upgraded design. I went to LED from 10K XM 250's and actinic VHO. Will never look back controlled LED is the way to go for me. Growth is great and fish and corals like the ramping schedules. My tank is established and has been up and running for well over 15 years.

Will post some current pictures and post pictures soon.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 3
IMG_1876.JPG

Yesterday
IMG_1966.JPG

We're still working out color. ;)
That would be my fault

That PE looks great! I can't seem to get a lot of PE from my acros. Color is spot on, growth is there, just no real strong PE during the day. Feed heavy, aminos during peak light, zooplankton after lights out. The PE at night is craaaaaazy though. I'm up to 65% blue and 27.5% white at the moment.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That PE looks great! I can't seem to get a lot of PE from my acros. Color is spot on, growth is there, just no real strong PE during the day. Feed heavy, aminos during peak light, zooplankton after lights out. The PE at night is craaaaaazy though. I'm up to 65% blue and 27.5% white at the moment.
It seems to be acro to acro for me on the PE.
A lot of differences.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a second gyre 250 to up the flow a bit. Holy sandstorm when I first cut the controller on since it automatically cuts on at 50% both. Lol!!! I've got them alternating flow left to right every minute at 30%. Love new toys.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a second gyre 250 to up the flow a bit. Holy sandstorm when I first cut the controller on since it automatically cuts on at 50% both. Lol!!! I've got them alternating flow left to right every minute at 30%. Love new toys.
Hahahaha. I think it was Dana Riddle who said , if you have sand it the tank, you don't have enough flow yet.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mysb 30" for about a month now and have worked my blues up to 55% and whites to 27%. What sort of ratio do you guys usually keep your blues and whites at? I've mainly got lps with a few sps sprinkled in.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mysb 30" for about a month now and have worked my blues up to 55% and whites to 27%. What sort of ratio do you guys usually keep your blues and whites at? I've mainly got lps with a few sps sprinkled in.

Me, I'm a 1:1 color ratio.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks That's great growth! I'm hoping to get my 75 stable enough for some SPS soon and I'll check out what these SB Reefs can do for myself.

I have my blues at 60% for 12 hours and my whites at I think 30% for 4 hours. I'll confirm tonight when I get home. Slowly working the whites to 6 hours. Frogspawn, hammer, rhodactis, trumpet, pallys and a bta are happy so far. They are all about mid to bottom in a standard 75g and the lights are about 8" above the water.

wooglins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whites and blues are at 100% on my reef radience clones. Schedule for new lights much lower. Lights are mounted about 6 inches now. They lived most of their life 2 inches above water.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be acro to acro for me on the PE.
A lot of differences.

I will say the BEST PE I've ever had, bar none, was when I was using Sicce voyagers. Let me tell you, my acros LOVED them. I constantly felt like flow wasn't enough, or that my tank was lacking the variance of DC capability. Nothing I have ever done, has EVER made their PE nearly as nice as my Sicce powerheads have. Not Tunze, not EcoTech, not Gyre's, not even the Gyre's with the Sicce's..

They claim that vortex swirl of water is what SPS seem to love. It's a shame they only have that swirl design on their Voyager 2, 3, and 4. Not on their other models.

It's nice seeing reviews of SBReef lights though. I greatly prefer T5, and if I ever shell out for another LED system it's gonna be an SBReef. Can't throw down ecotech money again after selling it to get T5's!

wooglins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having good luck with two large and one small tunze in my 90 gallon. I use one in wave mode and the other two on alternating patterns. I do have the programmable 4 channel tunze controller.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back