7E04FE9B-C099-4C81-984E-03E2629941BF.jpeg
190F1FF0-6030-496A-9214-C6F4DC2DA3E9.jpeg

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the SB reef lights for about 5 months. They grew coral like crazy, but I didn't care for the "look" as much as my current lights (Kessils). It felt a bit "cartoonish" fake to me? Looks of course, are subjective. It had less disco ball than radions, but still some disco. And the WIFI version is a pain in the butt, as that wifi app is janky as heck. And unless you remove the lenses you'll get some crazy hot spots to watch out for.

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just ordered my single basic 16". It will be for my 4x2x2 120 gallon which currently is only half lit by a arctic t247 i got from a friend used. We will see what it looks like side by side.

enveetie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mounted front to back and centered 10 inches apart on my 36x36, and tilted towards the center. i found par to be very intensely focused directly under the lights and drop off heavily inches away. i switched out the 90 degree lenses for all 120 lenses and the par spread is much, much, much better. i'm only lighting a depth of 16 inches, so keep that in mind.

also, keep in mind i run 4 t5 bulbs in addition to two modified sb reef 16" boxes. I'm happy with the set up now, not so much before. i was contemplating running 4 sb 16 boxes over my tank, but really wanted to keep the t5s. i keep saying i'll post a par map and pics, probably will get to it tomorrow.

FrankiePuffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on the brackets they came with. Things are doing well and no problem with the lights my problem is the brackets. I am unable to hang the light so the brackets are my only option. The problem is the rusting. I have sanded and coated them multiple times with Flexseal to no avail any thoughts or other bracket options?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on the brackets they came with. Things are doing well and no problem with the lights my problem is the brackets. I am unable to hang the light so the brackets are my only option. The problem is the rusting. I have sanded and coated them multiple times with Flexseal to no avail any thoughts or other bracket options?
Google , aquarium light hanging kit, you'll get a ton of options.

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me at the shop tomorrow or Monday. I have new aluminum brackets and can take care of you. Typically if mounted correctly the brackets sold never be in the water, and a wipe down once in a while will remove salt creep. But if they are seriously rusted I should be able to take care of you. :)

Todvod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua as in color?
No.
Thanks Salty. Can any of the LED brands produce an aqua color? I saw an R2R thread by ProfessorX on his 45G lagoon reef("Just the Tip" i think). He had some beautiful pics of his tank and the predominant color(to me) was aqua. He was using t5's though. Was wondering if that same look be achieved with LED's.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Salty. Can any of the LED brands produce an aqua color? I saw an R2R thread by ProfessorX on his 45G lagoon reef("Just the Tip" i think). He had some beautiful pics of his tank and the predominant color(to me) was aqua. He was using t5's though. Was wondering if that same look be achieved with LED's.
My ai Sols are (were. Sbs on that tank now) quite aqua.
The Hydras I've seen were balanced to a more blue but retain the aqua look a bit.

I belive it was part of thier signature look.

What you look at the specs of a light , take the sb for example , you'll see the native spectrum. Each will lean one way or another. In the case of the sb , it is an obvious lean to the royal blue end (blue +violet).

I think kessil also leans into the greens a bit (aqua , then green) and imo , is one reason older MH folks like them. A MH has by nature green in it. But I don't think I'd call a kessil aqua.

Myself , I prefer the royal blue (deep blue violet , purple ) thus my choice.

With a higher end light ai (radion maybe not sure ) you may be able to dial that color in. You would have to see the specs.

I actually , (tmi) took a current orbit marine and added it to the ai sol so when it went blue green and shut off , I was left with currents royal blue only for the hour POP dusk/night look.

I am selling the 3 Ai Sols btw.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me at the shop tomorrow or Monday. I have new aluminum brackets and can take care of you. Typically if mounted correctly the brackets sold never be in the water, and a wipe down once in a while will remove salt creep. But if they are seriously rusted I should be able to take care of you. :)
Mine are rusted pretty bad too....I might have to give you a call tomorrow

Drew1709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still kinda new to this. Just set up a 65g deep blue tank. Just installed the sbox 32” WiFi. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions that I should know about to prevent hurting coral? Still trying to get use to the light and it’s settings. Tia

Drew1709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still kinda new to this. Just set up a 65g deep blue tank. Just installed the sbox 32” WiFi. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions that I should know about to prevent hurting coral? Still trying to get use to the light and it’s settings. Tia

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A good place to start would be 20% white channel and 40% blue channel. You can increase the intensity in small amounts, say 5-10% weekly up to 200-300par. Don't have a par meter? Using a lux meter can be done with math conversion.

Don't have a lux meter? Increase intensity only based on how your corals are doing and how they look. If they start to pale, turn it down a little.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back