Rev's 400+ Gallon Basement Inwall

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev awesome build been fallowing it here and there. Was just looking at the back of the tank with all the plumbing and cat walk. Very nice job. The one thing I would be scared about would be leaning into or onto one of the pipes or fittings and breaking it. I would suggest building like a rail u can lean on while working in the tank. It would stop u from leaning on the back panel of the tank as well! Just a simple deck rail or something. Very nice work!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you get the proper heaters in there? What type are you using?

Went with 2 Finnex Titanium heaters. One 800w and one 300w. They have been keeping the tank and right temperature with no problem.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev awesome build been fallowing it here and there. Was just looking at the back of the tank with all the plumbing and cat walk. Very nice job. The one thing I would be scared about would be leaning into or onto one of the pipes or fittings and breaking it. I would suggest building like a rail u can lean on while working in the tank. It would stop u from leaning on the back panel of the tank as well! Just a simple deck rail or something. Very nice work!

Nice idea! I'll look at something like that after I get everything else set up!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
News is that I got my Apex Controller set up, well the minimum parts to keep the tank running and controlled! I also add two coral frags and they seem to be doing great. Open and looking good. I added a zoa frag and ricordia. I plan to add a few of my fish by the weekend if all goes well.

Question for you all.

I am going to be adding a frag tank that will be plumbed into the system. The sump will be between the tank and the frag tank. I need to push water over to the frag tank and was thinking about using another Vectra but the issue I have right now is that I am going to have to add another Vectra pump to the return to get more water turnover in the sump. I can't have 3 of those pumps running in my sump and I am afraid adding one more won't be enough to push some of the water to the display and some to the frag tank. Don't know how that would work anyway since they are on separate sides!

Ideas?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture or sketch? I think I follow what you're trying to do, but I could see other interpretations of that description too. :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good choice.Now about that skimmer!

I think I may start with a Reef Octopus 300INT and see how that does.
Do you have a picture or sketch? I think I follow what you're trying to do, but I could see other interpretations of that description too. :)

Thanks Hunter. I will get a photo later on today to give you all a better idea!

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with 2 Finnex Titanium heaters. One 800w and one 300w. They have been keeping the tank and right temperature with no problem.

Why did you go with an 800 and 300? Could you have done two 800s? Two 600s? I'm just asking because I thought the prevailing thought was to have two heaters either one of which could heat the tank on its own for redundancy?

I'm moving this summer and keeping an eye on this build for my new tank!!! Great build so far.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may start with a Reef Octopus 300INT and see how that does.

Thanks Hunter. I will get a photo later on today to give you all a better idea!

I'm using the Reef Octopus 3000 internal, it's a great skimmer... but the external cone is better I think. With ur tank you can easily go to the 5000 external

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I didn't want to purchase multiple heaters. These two heaters can do the job. I have double redundancy being that they both have a controller and they are both controlled by my apex.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Question for you all.

I am going to be adding a frag tank that will be plumbed into the system. The sump will be between the tank and the frag tank. I need to push water over to the frag tank and was thinking about using another Vectra but the issue I have right now is that I am going to have to add another Vectra pump to the return to get more water turnover in the sump. I can't have 3 of those pumps running in my sump and I am afraid adding one more won't be enough to push some of the water to the display and some to the frag tank. Don't know how that would work anyway since they are on separate sides!

Ideas?

I use a Vectra L1 as my closed loop pump and at 3100gph, it's doing a decent job at making flow inside the tank, but I'm always on the lookout for a stronger pump, but still having that ultra quiet the Vectra provides.
One of the pumps I have been eyeballing is the Red Dragon 3 150 watt. at 4700+ gph.
It's a $1000+ pump, but if you are having to buy 2 Vectras for a single purpose, aren't you almost there, moneywise?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Y'all click the FB LIKE button at the bottom of this thread if you like it! :)

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to make a suggestion. IMHO I think you'd be better off to have your frag tank a stand alone unit. I know .... I know..... I'm "That guy" lol.

I'm sure you well aware of all the reasons but I thought I'd just give you a chance to pause and think about it. If your determined to do it anyway then just ignore me and carry on. [emoji4]

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd like to make a suggestion. IMHO I think you'd be better off to have your frag tank a stand alone unit. I know .... I know..... I'm "That guy" lol.

I'm sure you well aware of all the reasons but I thought I'd just give you a chance to pause and think about it. If your determined to do it anyway then just ignore me and carry on. [emoji4]
I agree.
Sometimes isolation is a good thing.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The frag tank is to frag corals from the display it's not to isolate new corals, etc.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag tank is to frag corals from the display it's not to isolate new corals, etc.
Already flagging the two corals in the display?
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Busy setting up.....

image.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already flagging the two corals in the display?
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
He needs to be prepared with as quickly as this build is progressing! It only took 1600+ posts to get 2 frags in his tank. At this rate, his DT will be full and needing to be fragged out in under 386,000 more posts! :p

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back