Round 2 with velvet

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it got into my 75g from the nano... or it was in the 75g all along and nobody showed symptoms. I came home from work tonight and my Caribbean tang has that white dusty look. He's still acting himself so I think I can win this go 'round. He's the only fish in the tank with the white dust, clownfish pair and six line look fine.(they are getting treated also) I'm setting QT up now.

I need advice on medication. I have a dwarf golden moray, and they are sensitive to copper, or so I've read. They are also immune to ich and velvet but they can transmit it to other fish, so I can't just leave him in the DT while it's fallow. What medications do I need to pick up?

I'm thinking about getting a 40B for the tang so there's enough room. I have 2 ocelaris, a six line and the eel that can fit in the 10g. The tang is around 3 1/2" and I feel he would be too cramped in there with the other fish and the ammonia might be too much to handle in that small of a tank.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of fish
22c4a1baf316fe29d3f67b3c1e7dfd09.jpg

a3c043d0b13c22aaceb7f9ab8afd39c7.jpg

2f346fa335a8a82484b4bec0559a7d61.jpg

1e697ba60256950396338d1b8700ee1b.jpg

1bae3409c29cdbb40f2cdff4abb58425.jpg

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If eels are immune then if you put in a separate tank for the whole fallow time won't that get rid of it in his tank? I don't know - I'm just asking.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear that, for the eel since its sensitive to copper you will need chloroquine phosphate (CP) to treat it, unfortunately wrasses are sensitive to CP so you will need to treat it with copper. The tangs and clownfish can be treated with either. CP is less harsh on fish but there is no test kit to ensure right dosage, you measure the dosage and wait for the treatment to be completed, on the other hand copper might be a bit harsher but you can test it with test kits to ensure its within the range and be confident you treated velvet.

If eels are immune then if you put in a separate tank for the whole fallow time won't that get rid of it in his tank? I don't know - I'm just asking.
Unfortunately no, it will still carry velvet but since it has thick coat it is not effected much by it.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess that eels are more like _resistant_ to ich or velvet than "immune". Then again ... I've been wrong about more stuff than I can remember. You'd be best off to get a veterinarian to write you a prescription, if you can.

The other fish should tolerate copper well enough, especially if you're using a chelated copper.

You might consider treating the eel in the 10 and the others in the 40B - I agree that a 3.5" tang is unlikely to be happy in a 10g through a fallow period.

~Bruce

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To treat velvet you will need copper or cp you probably will go with copper cus by time you get cp it will be to late. You can give them a fresh water dip to help alleviate some of the parasites and mucus to help breathing. Some people suggest a Acriflavine dip but once again if you don't have Acriflavine don't wait get them in a fresh water dip and in copper. I believe eels are also sensetive to meds/ copper so dig deeper into that. The tank will need to remain fallow 6 weeks

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now that I've done more research I think I might have ich instead of velvet. As I understand, ich starts out as a white dust then gets bigger. Velvet is a tan discoloration all over the fish. If it's ich, wouldn't hypo in QT and leaving the DT fallow for 76 days work?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang looks to me like she's carrying velvet in the photos. Velvet can take on several different appearances - tan or gold sheen, small white dots (they are smaller than ich, and there are more of them), or no physical symptoms at all, but the fish's behaviour may indicate velvet by hiding from the light or swimming into the flow of a powerhead.

~Bruce

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now that I've done more research I think I might have ich instead of velvet. As I understand, ich starts out as a white dust then gets bigger. Velvet is a tan discoloration all over the fish. If it's ich, wouldn't hypo in QT and leaving the DT fallow for 76 days work?

Ich wouldn't be spread out like this, it will be few spots that can be counted. The picture of the tang you posted seems like velvet.
Anyways, in both cases they are the same treatment. I would suggest starting as fast as possible because it's more likely velvet than ich.
Here is how ich would look like:
IMG_5928_1.JPG

198.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hasn't been swimming directly into the flow. More all over the place like tangs do. Always been shy tho and will dart into cover if I move quickly. It's currently in the cave, getting cleaned by the banded coral shrimp but was just out in the open eating some algae flakes.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich wouldn't be spread out like this, it will be few spots that can be counted. The picture of the tang you posted seems like velvet.
Anyways, in both cases they are the same treatment. I would suggest starting as fast as possible because it's more likely velvet than ich.
Here is how ich would look like:
IMG_5928_1.JPG

bluetang-with-ich.jpg

Yea, not that... well it's velvet like I thought.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's the plan. Eel goes in the 10g tonight and I'll figure out a treatment option for him. Tomorrow I get my fiancee to go get a 40B from the chain pet store, I'm working 0700 to 1900, and I set it up when I get home. What brand chelated copper is recommended?

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's the plan. Eel goes in the 10g tonight and I'll figure out a treatment option for him. Tomorrow I get my fiancee to go get a 40B from the chain pet store, I'm working 0700 to 1900, and I set it up when I get home. What brand chelated copper is recommended?

Coppersafe and I would get the dosage up to therapeutic levels within 24 hours. Though personally, I have never gone slow and bring it right to the correct level right away, but that is not the recommended method.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a tip, I suggest doing FW dip on the fish to provide relief and buy you some time until you set up the 40B (I'm not sure about eel and FW, don't do it until you get an expert opinion on that). For chelated copper I think any brand should be fine, but I heard a lot about fritz copper safe, I assume its the best. Make sure to have the copper test kit to ensure the right dosage.

Best of luck and hope the fish survive.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eel will need to be treated or not put back into the display. He may not be effected by the velvet, but he can still be a carrier.

I also prefer Coppersafe.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back