OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eel will need to be treated or not put back into the display. He may not be effected by the velvet, but he can still be a carrier.

I also prefer Coppersafe.

Yay, Mel is here! I'm going to try and get a Rx for CP for the eel. I just read that you can treat them with that. It might be after the 4th until I can get it, but I don't think he's in any danger.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the DT. He looks like ****, and breathing heavy, but looks like most of the velvet came off and the sores are visible now. He's a tough fish from all he's been thru. Hopefully I can get him to hang in there until Saturday when I can start treatment.
323bb07bdbda85c14b6a0707f375d173.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the DT. He looks like ****, and breathing heavy, but looks like most of the velvet came off and the sores are visible now. He's a tough fish from all he's been thru. Hopefully I can get him to hang in there until Saturday when I can start treatment.
323bb07bdbda85c14b6a0707f375d173.jpg

If you have ruby reef rally or acriflavin, this is a good time for that bath.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, bottle said 1tsp per 10g of water. Came out to right at 40ml in my graduated cylinder for 90g total water volume. Stuff smells like mint and eucalyptus. I'm calling it a night. I'll check on the tank in five and a half hours when I have to wake up for work.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, bottle said 1tsp per 10g of water. Came out to right at 40ml in my graduated cylinder for 90g total water volume. Stuff smells like mint and eucalyptus. I'm calling it a night. I'll check on the tank in five and a half hours when I have to wake up for work.

It's Tea Tree Oil from India, if memory serves. ;)

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, the tang is still alive. Breathing has seemed to calm down back to an almost normal rate. Hopefully he makes it thru today as well. Clowns still look good, sleeping in their spot. Six line is in a hole in the rocks somewhere sleeping. The eel, well he's being an eel.
9d15d46a97940ce8e67ebb0b171da26b.jpg
0fd84abf82599fa574ab447c22840381.jpg

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good so far, hopefully they can make it another day. The tang is the most sensitive fish you have right now, the others might be able to manage it for another day or two on their own due to their thick coat. Just keep checking on them every now and then in case you noticed a fish has odd behavior.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Tea Tree Oil from India, if memory serves. ;)

I've used the stuff in freshwater before - it's the oil of the "ti" tree (Aboriginal name), Melaleuca alternifolia, of Australia. Bacteriacidal, it seems - which can be helpful here. Check your skimmer - as I recall, the stuff produced a lot of bubbles in my FW tank.

Here's a study on its properties and effectiveness in human medicine: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360273/

~Bruce

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the stuff in freshwater before - it's the oil of the "ti" tree (Aboriginal name), Melaleuca alternifolia, of Australia. Bacteriacidal, it seems - which can be helpful here. Check your skimmer - as I recall, the stuff produced a lot of bubbles in my FW tank.

Here's a study on its properties and effectiveness in human medicine: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360273/

~Bruce
The skimmer was going nuts this morning, full cup of clear water and bubbling over. Luckily I have it placed so it runs over all inside the sump and didn't spill over the side, I've had that happen... I opened the drain tube and just let it spill back into the sump for now.
From what I could see the "splotchyness" on the tang seemed to look much better this morning but I could only catch glimpses of him inside the cave. Everyone was still sleeping. Except the eel, he was being an eel.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should mention somewhere on the bottle that you need to turn off skimmer. As mentioned earlier its basically oil, which will cause skimmer to go nuts.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should mention somewhere on the bottle that you need to turn off skimmer. As mentioned earlier its basically oil, which will cause skimmer to go nuts.
I didn't see anything about skimmer on the bottle. Just said fresh and saltwater safe. No mention of inverts or corals. I'd rather just let the skimmer dump back into the sump, if the velvet is causing mucus buildup on the tang's gills, I want as much free O2 in the tank as I can get. I also raised my return lock lines up a bit so they make a little noise on the surface. Usually I don't like splashing sounds, but I'm not home to hear it and this is a special circumstance. I'll update again tonight when I get home.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 92 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back