OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I decided to test my parameters, my nitrites are in the "stress" level and I have low nitrates, and my ammonia levels seem fine according to my wheel, should I interfere with a water change, or let it finish its course? My tanks ugly stage has gotten worse...any recommendations?
Image1486868217.558213.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I decided to test my parameters, my nitrites are in the "stress" level and I have low nitrates, and my ammonia levels seem fine according to my wheel, should I interfere with a water change, or let it finish its course? My tanks ugly stage has gotten worse...any recommendations?
Image1486868217.558213.jpg
Voted most Un ugly Ugly phase ever.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is normal I take it? Haha but what should I do about my levels?
Dont sweat them. :)
Feed the fish healthy. Keep the tank clean. you'll be fine.
Yea, so normal,(yawn)...;)

new tanks fluctuate quite a bit. Don't sweat it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let the tank do it's think and when all is in order, go get a massive CUC! Lol
lol. Yup.
But I'd add them slow too. And get small turbos. they get big. avoid too many crabs

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a WC after turning lights of for a day or two to try and kill it off. raise your lights or turn them down. Get a larger CUC, more hermits.
How much do you feed and what do you feed?
Btw, do a WC after you have scrubbed the glass clean and agitate the brown sand parts a little bit.

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a WC after turning lights of for a day or two to try and kill it off. raise your lights or turn them down. Get a larger CUC, more hermits.
How much do you feed and what do you feed?
Btw, do a WC after you have scrubbed the glass clean and agitate the brown sand parts a little bit.

I have 2 hermits, an emerald, 3 small snails, and I added a turbo today. My snails really suck so I had to get something that will do something. And my emerald is to control some vortmeid snails I have or something. I feed an algae tab a day and 1/16 cube of shrimp, although I skipped a day or two once this crap started just to see if my hermits would pick up the cleaning. I will keep lights off tomorrow and wc on Sunday. What is the best way to do it?

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use RODI water and good salt. Just shut off pumps and siphon water out of the tank. And just turn the pumps back on. Reason for WC after lights out, so you can remove whatever was died off and released into water.
Yes, patience is also key.
I wouldn't count on the snails to do a whole lot. Seems like your CUC is used to your tank. Get a new set of snails and hermits.

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use RODI water and good salt. Just shut off pumps and siphon water out of the tank. And just turn the pumps back on. Reason for WC after lights out, so you can remove whatever was died off and released into water.
Yes, patience is also key.
I wouldn't count on the snails to do a whole lot. Seems like your CUC is used to your tank. Get a new set of snails and hermits.

What about sea pure? I have 3 jugs of sea pure to use.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about sea pure? I have 3 jugs of sea pure to use.

I have no experience with Sea Pure, but yea I would use the rest of that. Usually jug sea water is pretty good but I have never used them. I use Fritz RPM Pro Salt. 4 stage RODI unit to make water.

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it for initial set up, and never used what I bought. I know the specific gravity is a little high but I have so ro that I can use to stable it.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well when ever you run out, I would suggest RODI, not RO water. RO can still contain some doo doo.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO doesn't remove all the heavy metals like DI. RODI is like a clean canvas for the salt of your choice.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back to the water change, what percentage should I do? And can I leave my fish in there?

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would scrub and sift and clean till most is gone, be sure to let your filer catch all the dookie. Do a 50% WC, which isn't much cause your tank is small, and be sure to change out the sock BEFORE the WC. So you don't run good clean water through a dirty filter.
Fish may get a little agitated but they should be fine. They are hearty.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back