Safe and Easy DIY way to remove Nems

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer still overflowing this morning. But all inhabitants looked fine.

I’m hoping that when I get back home, the names maybe have crawled out. If I’m lucky. But otherwise, I’ll remove the sponge and rinse it well in RO for a while.

In the meantime, I shut the skimmer off

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer still overflowing this morning. But all inhabitants looked fine.

I’m hoping that when I get back home, the names maybe have crawled out. If I’m lucky. But otherwise, I’ll remove the sponge and rinse it well in RO for a while.

In the meantime, I shut the skimmer off
One note from your picture, Make sure the tube is not pointing at the light. If the nem is getting Any light in the tube, has no reason to walk up the tube searching for it. Oftentimes it will keep the foot planted, and just stretch the body up.

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One note from your picture, Make sure the tube is not pointing at the light. If the nem is getting Any light in the tube, has no reason to walk up the tube searching for it. Oftentimes it will keep the foot planted, and just stretch the body up.
Thank you. Yes, I put them at about a 45° angle. That said, I only read after I set it up about adding the elbow which seems like a neat trick. I’ll try that if they don’t crawl out by tomorrow.

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 1 out of 2 aint bad!

image.jpg

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Any ideas for a BTA in a cave with 2 exits? Its foot is on the top side of the cave, it stretches out one exit during the day. Should I cover both exits with sponges, PVC tube in the one it usually stretches out of?

Does the sponge need to be making contact with the nem? How close does the PVC pipe need to be to the nem?

Thanks!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Any ideas for a BTA in a cave with 2 exits? Its foot is on the top side of the cave, it stretches out one exit during the day. Should I cover both exits with sponges, PVC tube in the one it usually stretches out of?

Does the sponge need to be making contact with the nem? How close does the PVC pipe need to be to the nem?

Thanks!
Pictures may help.

In theory, If you can wait for it to retract over its foot, and install the Canon over the nem It should know which way to go.

Putting a sponge in the other hole may be able to block enough light.

The point of this is to light starve the animal and force it to walk where you want, which is up the tube, toward the light.

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures may help.

In theory, If you can wait for it to retract over its foot, and install the Canon over the nem It should know which way to go.

Putting a sponge in the other hole may be able to block enough light.

The point of this is to light starve the animal and force it to walk where you want, which is up the tube, toward the light.
Thanks for the quick reply!! I actually gave it a go while I was waiting for some answers here so I've added a couple pictures of my current "attempt" - ignore the dirty glass it's cleaning day and I haven't got that far yet!

You can see I blocked the left/right exits with a sponge, the nem usually stretches out from the right side. Not sure if there's enough light hitting the end of the PVC.

IMG_1576.JPG IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1578.JPG IMG_1579.JPG

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup looks good. The nem in the picture looks a lot bigger around than the pipe. Give it a go, but I'm going to guess you'll need a larger diameter pipe.
Ok cool, that's good news at least.

I was worried about that, but read that most people were using 1" PVC which is what is shown - may be making a trip to pick up 2 or 3" to be safe. I did shine a light through the tube and can see the nem at the other end so it's aimed properly. I'm assuming starting off bigger won't adversely affect the results, may just let a bit more light in?

Thanks so much, really appreciate your advice!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, that's good news at least.

I was worried about that, but read that most people were using 1" PVC which is what is shown - may be making a trip to pick up 2 or 3" to be safe. I did shine a light through the tube and can see the nem at the other end so it's aimed properly. I'm assuming starting off bigger won't adversely affect the results, may just let a bit more light in?

Thanks so much, really appreciate your advice!
The anenome needs to be able to inflate and maneuver its foot and body up the pipe. Although nems can get through small holes, this it one occasion you don't want it to slip out the cracks. You want to it be able to freely walk to the light.

I would have probably started with 2.5" from the size of the nem.

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anenome needs to be able to inflate and maneuver its foot and body up the pipe. Although nems can get through small holes, this it one occasion you don't want it to slip out the cracks. You want to it be able to freely walk to the light.

I would have probably started with 2.5" from the size of the nem.

Got a 2" in there yesterday but no luck yet. Looks like it took 1-2 days for some people in this thread so will be patient for now.

How close should the PVC/sponge be to the nem? Or is the fact that the PVC is the only way out of the cave now "good enough"?

I thought catching the clownfish was going to be the hard part... they've been in their new cube for a week now :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 2" in there yesterday but no luck yet. Looks like it took 1-2 days for some people in this thread so will be patient for now.

How close should the PVC/sponge be to the nem? Or is the fact that the PVC is the only way out of the cave now "good enough"?

I thought catching the clownfish was going to be the hard part... they've been in their new cube for a week now :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Patience. If you've blocked all of the exits, and even a little bit of light is getting inside, the nem will walk up the tube.

I Try to irritate the anemone until it balls up, then slide the tube straight over it, not giving it much of a chance to go elsewhere.

cwcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. If you've blocked all of the exits, and even a little bit of light is getting inside, the nem will walk up the tube.

I Try to irritate the anemone until it balls up, then slide the tube straight over it, not giving it much of a chance to go elsewhere.
Yep seal off any light that may get in.

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1588(1).JPG

Well, we're still fighting over here. I think my pistol shrimp moved sand in to the pipe last night, I cleared it out and re-placed. I need to use a flashlight to see the nem it is so dark in the cave. I have not seen it stretch at all for light yet.

Shall we start placing bets if my nem commits suicide rather than letting go?

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1588(1).JPG

Well, we're still fighting over here. I think my pistol shrimp moved sand in to the pipe last night, I cleared it out and re-placed. I need to use a flashlight to see the nem it is so dark in the cave. I have not seen it stretch at all for light yet.

Shall we start placing bets if my nem commits suicide rather than letting go?
Just as an update.... still patiently waiting! I think I may have hurt the nem by trying manual removal first, now it is either too ticked or still healing before moving. Have checked all hours in the day, almost 0 light hits the nem in there so it should be just a matter of time.

It doesn't look any worse for wear overall, just deflated. Hoping she detaches sometime this week - the clownfish are lonely in their new tank all by themselves.

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1617.jpg

Nem is finally on the move!!! I had to readjust the trap last night and noticed her foot had moved a good bit, hopefully making her way up the PVC now! Going to give her a day or so before I try to remove the trap just to make sure she's fully detached.

Went about 9 full days without getting any light at all, I was beginning to worry!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few questions,
options for holding the sponge in place, fishing line, zip ties? What else? In many places I won’t be able to use a rubber band.
what holds the pvc pipe upright?

corey

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few questions,
options for holding the sponge in place, fishing line, zip ties? What else? In many places I won’t be able to use a rubber band.
what holds the pvc pipe upright?

corey
Hey Corey, given that there are so many different places a sponge and tube may need to be placed in to get the nem, sometimes, you've just gotta get creative.

You mentioned fishing line. I've also used CA glue to glue the sponge where I needed it, rocks stacked, heck, I used bamboo skewers for kabobs a few times. The right answer is, use whatever you can, for your situation in order to hold the sponge to the rock, around the nem, without allowing room for the nem to escape.

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is it!!!!! Can be cut down to size if needed. Or you can even use a 2" or 3" piece of pipe to make multiple nems crawl up at once.

Edit: Just be sure that when using a large pipe, it is at an angle, so the light does not shine straight down. The goal is to make them move to the light.
have you ever tried to make a cave of sponge with several holes to help remove multiple nem's which have covered a large rock. When I moved from previous location, had 6 to 8 nem's now they reproduce every full moon. have one Large rock which may have 70 to 100+ rbts. have given away 65 to 75 already. few months later hAD ALL BEEN replaced. finally getting sticks/acros to grow....need space. $ager to try!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back