Salt Water Mixing Stations Let's See Them!!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
@sntmods What are these? Where from?

1597252514658.png

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Mine is pretty basic. RO/DI water on the right, salt on the left. Pumps in each to keep the water moving. The salt container also has a heater and auto-water change plumbing. Both containers are setup to hold 35gal each. They are brine tank, typically used in whole home water softer systems. I got each for $60 from a local company.

IMG_20190122_182146312_HDR.jpg

@n4soccer What is the diameter and height of these containers?

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here and looking to set up my first water mixing station. I currently make everything in 5 gallon buckets and haul it all upstairs to my DT.
I am going to be using 2 35G Norwesco containers and they will be on a platform made of wood and cinder blocks. Mainly because I don't know how to build a platform.

Many of these builds are amazing but I don't know how to do the plumbing.

I know I may or may not need uniseals- I need to look at the containers when they arrive at the store. But beyond that I'm not sure what I need. They will be side by side so I will need to run PVC to each of them- I assume I need a pump somewhere in the middle that I can run this through? I won't be pumping water upstairs because I would likely need 100' or more tubing to do that and I am not sure how that would work either.

I have the BRS 5 stage that I will run the line into one container, but I am not able to leave the water running with a float valve so I will just have to fill as needed.

Looks like I will need a few ball valves- looks like at least 1 per container and another leading to the pump.
I am not wanting to spend a fortune but I also do not want to skimp. I will still be using buckets but I want to be able to just pull out what I need when I need it.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

shaneclaussen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@punkieg0

Check out this thread:

The first post is a good description of how to set it up.

Hoov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time poster, new to the hobby...Greetings! After two or three what could only be described as comically disorganized water changes on my newbie IM AIO 40 G, I decided I needed to have a dedicated mix station. This forum has been such a big help, so thank you so much for sharing your ideas! (especially dbl's Let's Mix it Up thread). Anyway, here's a pic of version 1.0.

IMG_7462.jpg

A few notes:

Tank Choice - these Gamma2 Vittel Vaults are sturdy, have a wide lid, are economical and shipped free from Amazon Prime. (Total cost: $118).

Bottom bulkheads - These tanks are angled at bottom so placing the bulkhead on the front meant I could never fully drain it (about 1 G would remain). Putting the bulkheads on the bottom solved 95% of the issue but definitely complicated the design/implementation.

Measurement tubes - Borrowing from other forum members, I added 1/2 vinyl tubing so I can see how much liquid is in each tank. To help keep the tubing straight I used a piece of 3/4" Pex tubing, cut lengthwise in 2 places, leaving 1/4 of the pex open. I then pushed the vinyl tubing into the pex. Not the safest cut to make on the table saw but happy with the result.

Brass MIPS hose adapters? I wanted to be able to connect the output to a gardenhose for draining/cleaning and the guy at the hardware store recommended brass fittings. Should I be using all plastic?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spent the better part of my morning trying to find a good AWC/mixing staion containers.
all that I have found online the shipping is 2-3X the tank.

anyone use a black one? I fear you will not be able to see the water level. might not be a big deal might be?

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brass MIPS hose adapters? I wanted to be able to connect the output to a gardenhose for draining/cleaning and the guy at the hardware store recommended brass fittings. Should I be using all plastic?
Are they always in contact with salt water. Do you use them for water to the tank. They likely will degrade if in contact with saltwater for long periods of time. But depending on the use it may or may not be an issue.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spent the better part of my morning trying to find a good AWC/mixing staion containers.
all that I have found online the shipping is 2-3X the tank.

anyone use a black one? I fear you will not be able to see the water level. might not be a big deal might be?

i think that you want the container to be opaque to prevent algae issues. Mine are blue and I can not see through. I marked a few important volumes inside the tank.

shipping on something this big will be expensive. Check our tractor supply for new containers. Check Facebook market place for good used containers. My barrels were used pickle barrels.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think that you want the container to be opaque to prevent algae issues. Mine are blue and I can not see through. I marked a few important volumes inside the tank.

shipping on something this big will be expensive. Check our tractor supply for new containers. Check Facebook market place for good used containers. My barrels were used pickle barrels.

I had a couple used pickle barres in the past. not an auto mixing station but they where nice. tractor supply is 2hr away. they have the 65gal for $200 each
but I found some black 55 gal with 2 buck heads and screw top for $90 was thinking one could make a eye glass to see the water level. dont think there the quality as Norwesco but alot cheaper to.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got through all 32 pages for inspiration. looks like in 2020 shipping is out unless you have deep pockets.

so question why dont we just use aquariums? like 40 breeders 55 or even 75 gal? from petco dollar per gallon. I know it only up to 29 gal these days but still a good deal I believe 50% off up to 75s

I am surprised I did not see that.
I have a cpl 40br and a stand maybe I'll play around with it.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I paid $50 for 2-50 gallon pickle barrels.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided on a black one and make a "spyglass" water level indicator but the big box store is out to. so back to the drawing board. I did find a company the makes them in the state buts is 7.5hr drive each way. booo

anyone stack to 55 drums to make 110 gal. of water think I could do that if I find 55 is to little I want one month of mixed SW ready to go.

Hoov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they always in contact with salt water. Do you use them for water to the tank. They likely will degrade if in contact with saltwater for long periods of time. But depending on the use it may or may not be an issue.
They only come in contact when I'm filling the bucket. i'll be sure to keep an eye on them, though. Thanks so much!

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine. Going to switch to a dc pump

20200915_121820.jpg
Anyone mind sharing where they got the containers like these? I live in upstate New York and there doesn’t seem to be anywhere that actually carries these. The closest retailers are about a 2 hour drive and the shipping costs are astronomical. Equal to or in some cases double of the price of the actual container. And I don’t even live in a rural neighborhood.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tractor Supply has the norwesco 65 gallon vertical tanks on hand routinely if you can make the drive for one.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a saltwater mixing station
I only use natural ocean water I collect from 8-10 miles offshore
55gal drum with air stone in it to keep circulating

1A6EB0FC-A3A7-4100-9EE9-8830E5928B66.jpeg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Anyone mind sharing where they got the containers like these? I live in upstate New York and there doesn’t seem to be anywhere that actually carries these. The closest retailers are about a 2 hour drive and the shipping costs are astronomical. Equal to or in some cases double of the price of the actual container. And I don’t even live in a rural neighborhood.

Where upstate?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.2%
Back