Schnitzel's SPS

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was time I started a thread on here to post some pics of my SPS. I'm not that great with picture taking, but I do have a canon t3i and an avast camera tube. def helps take decent pics. One of these days I'll figure out how to adjust white balance and get better pics. For now, I'll show you what I got.

Tank is glass- 96x30x21". 3 side starphire. Made by Leemar. External overflow.

2-MP60s and 1 Tunze 6105. Fluval SP6 as main return pump.

Skimmer: bubble king double cone 250 rd3

Simple 3 chamber sump with refugium in the center chamber.

Geo 6x24 calcium reactor. With Matheson dual stage regulator.

Lighting: 5 Radion G3 with 6-80w t5s. I run my radions on 20k setting and I run all Blue+ bulbs.

Tanks been up and running for about 2 years. Been in the hobby for 6+. This is my 5th tank.

When everything was new

I originally had a DIY led setup, about 6-8 months ago I tore it down and added the radions. I originally started with 4, but recently added a 5th radion

My water change shed

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that was the boring stuff. Now to coral pics. (Some pics were taken with my iPhone and a gel filter.)

PC superman

No name yet

Aqua SD rainbow milli

Event horizon milli

ORA Red Planet

Pink lemonade

Tierra De Fuego

Age of Aquariums Banshee

Wish I could get a better pic of this.
Jareds tri color prostrata

ORA Pearlberry

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rommels watermelon milli

CB Maleficent

I don't have many lps. Just a few acans, and a torch. I sold all my chalices, I was tired of fighting with them. SPS only is so much easier.

Darth maul porites. Can't get them to color up like the original pic looked. Maybe not enough par

Tyree blue matrix

Greg Carrols ultimate efflo

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold this awhile back, but this was a BPC Flamethrower chalice I had

My one acan I always take pics of. Colors are just crazy

Orange passion.

Here's an older pic of it when it was happy. I can't get the blue to come out like it used to

An old frag tank I had. It's now gone

That's all I got for now. I have other acros that I can't take decent pics of. I'll keep this thread updated as I take new pics. Hopefully all that ^ gave you some background on the tank.

If anyone is wondering, I used to use Instant Ocean salt, I've recently switched the Red Sea blue bucket. Just wanted to try something different. I originally started the tank with bio pellets, but something wasn't right. I took them offline, because I couldn't get my acros to color up or grow at all. I realized it was a major LACK of nutrients.(I had zero nitrates for months) once I figured that out, I started dosing potassium nitrate. Since then my tank has exploded with growth. I had to make major adjustments to my calcium reactor to keep up with alk/Ca. I also dose potassium, Pohls Xtra, Elos pro skimmer, and Elos Aminos. I tried Acropower too, but I like Pohls Xtra better. Other than all that, i feed mysis and pellets regularly. Tank is setup with an auto water change system, but I rarely use it. I do water changes every 3-4 months. Since I have a hard time keeping nitrates up, I decided to put water changes on hold for now. I occasionally throw in a bag of carbon in my sump. Never run gfo. I guess that's about it

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Tank and acros. I hope my OP takes off and look like yours.

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold this awhile back, but this was a BPC Flamethrower chalice I had

My one acan I always take pics of. Colors are just crazy

Orange passion.

Here's an older pic of it when it was happy. I can't get the blue to come out like it used to

An old frag tank I had. It's now gone

That's all I got for now. I have other acros that I can't take decent pics of. I'll keep this thread updated as I take new pics. Hopefully all that ^ gave you some background on the tank.

If anyone is wondering, I used to use Instant Ocean salt, I've recently switched the Red Sea blue bucket. Just wanted to try something different. I originally started the tank with bio pellets, but something wasn't right. I took them offline, because I couldn't get my acros to color up or grow at all. I realized it was a major LACK of nutrients.(I had zero nitrates for months) once I figured that out, I started dosing potassium nitrate. Since then my tank has exploded with growth. I had to make major adjustments to my calcium reactor to keep up with alk/Ca. I also dose potassium, Pohls Xtra, Elos pro skimmer, and Elos Aminos. I tried Acropower too, but I like Pohls Xtra better. Other than all that, i feed mysis and pellets regularly. Tank is setup with an auto water change system, but I rarely use it. I do water changes every 3-4 months. Since I have a hard time keeping nitrates up, I decided to put water changes on hold for now. I occasionally throw in a bag of carbon in my sump. Never run gfo. I guess that's about it

What do you do for filtration on the frag tank?

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Fan of ShnitzelReef [emoji106]
Awesome colors in your tank!!
Nice job!
thanks for sharing - look forward to new updates!
Awesome Tank and acros. I hope my OP takes off and look like yours.
Amazing tank, cant wait to see it all grown in.

Thanks guys. Was hoping to have things grown out by now, but starting with frags has taken much longer then I had hoped for.
Appreciate the love.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back