OP
meir

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if it doesn't heal or gets worse, then it's probably gotten infected at that point. Antibiotics will be needed to help him heal if it hasn't improved. Kanaplex, furan2 and even metroplex can be added to that group if needed. The first two are the most important.

I only have a 5g qt and it's a 5" scopas tang so I need something that can go into the dt reef

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a 5g qt and it's a 5" scopas tang so I need something that can go into the dt reef

or a ten gallon tank. I think the $1 per gallon sale is going on for a day or two more. Antibiotics can go into the display if fed in the food. It works much slower that way, so isn't always successful. You would combine 1 table spoon of frozen or pellet food with one scoop of kanaplex and one scoop of Focus (as a binder to make it reef safe). Feed that once a day for a minimum of 10 days, but more likely longer than that. Be sure to run carbon just in case.

OP
OP
meir

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or a ten gallon tank. I think the $1 per gallon sale is going on for a day or two more. Antibiotics can go into the display if fed in the food. It works much slower that way, so isn't always successful. You would combine 1 table spoon of frozen or pellet food with one scoop of kanaplex and one scoop of Focus (as a binder to make it reef safe). Feed that once a day for a minimum of 10 days, but more likely longer than that. Be sure to run carbon just in case.

This is if it gets bad, and how much does this usually go for?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also pay close attention to your water quality... With 2 clowns a 5in tang, another tang and 2 blennies you are pushing your Bioload on a 20g tank.. Esp with as little live rock as you have in there..
Need good water and good food for him to heal

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is if it gets bad, and how much does this usually go for?

Yes. It depends on where you get it from. I can't remember what we sell it for at the store. Sorry. Try amazon

OP
OP
meir

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also pay close attention to your water quality... With 2 clowns a 5in tang, another tang and 2 blennies you are pushing your Bioload on a 20g tank.. Esp with as little live rock as you have in there..

I have a whole bucket of rock to add I just need to buy cuprisorb tomorrow so that I can get rid of the copper from the cupramine treatment I did when the 5g was the dt

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even for humans, does it feel worse then a paper-cut

Much much worse in my experience, and I'm carpenter w/ thick skin on my hands.
I edited/reworded my comment to most would say no
There was a Dr. either here or another site that specialized in toxicology that claimed otherwise, wish I had that debate saved.

OP
OP
meir

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much much worse in my experience, and I'm carpenter w/ thick skin on my hands.
I edited/reworded my comment to most would say no
There was a Dr. either here or another site that specialized in toxicology that claimed otherwise, wish I had that debate saved.

Why hasn't anyone tested it?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why hasn't anyone tested it?
It's not my area, I just remember it being debated, and while they do not have glands for toxins as typical I recall the one person(the Dr of toxicology) did have some valid points that did at least make me keep an open mind to it, though like I said most will say no

OP
OP
meir

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not my area, I just remember it being debated, and while they do not have glands for toxins as typical I recall the one person(the Dr of toxicology) did have some valid points that did at least make me keep an open mind to it, though like I said most will say no

Maybe it's like the kamodo dragon, maybe it's not venomous or poisonous, maybe it's just got bacteria growing on it which infects other fish when stabbed

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could recall, and I searched for that, can't find it, and I'm pretty sure it was here, maybe someone has that link, that DR. did have some interesting points despite it being pointed out they do not contain glands to produce toxins.
One thing I've learned in my 31 years in the hobby Is I rarely speak in absolutes and keep an open mind as there have been so many things we thought were true that later turned out to be otherwise.
I also learned after about 25 or so years of handling/holding tangs bare handed that one day a new reality may set in!
I no longer hand carry/handle any tangs...

OP
OP
meir

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could recall, and I searched for that, can't find it, and I'm pretty sure it was here, maybe someone has that link, that DR. did have some interesting points despite it being pointed out they do not contain glands to produce toxins.
One thing I've learned in my 31 years in the hobby Is I rarely speak in absolutes and keep an open mind as there have been so many things we thought were true that later turned out to be otherwise.
I also learned after about 25 or so years of handling/holding tangs bare handed that one day a new reality may set in!
I no longer hand carry/handle any tangs...

"After picking up a tang.....and at that moment he knew he messed up"

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 20 gallon tank, please tell me it's not?

OP
OP
meir

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 20 gallon tank, please tell me it's not?

Woah...hold up, if you read my other threads, when these fish get bigger or at the end of this school year, which ever comes first, I'm upgrading to either a 90 or 180 so they will be fine, think of it as an extended qt period, plus I am dealing with some things that they came with from the pet store. I find it easier to treat them in a smaller 20 then in a large 90/180, easier to spot feed, to check the whole body. Both tangs came with a bit of Hlle which I'm trying to reverse if anyone cares to share, but yeah this is definitely not permanent.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back