Scribbled angel had one but now 2 cloudy eyes

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one eye was cloudy firva couple days and now today the other eye is cloudy. It does seem like it's effecting his vision. I feel like crap. He came from a treatment with copper for about 2 weeks before I added as one of the first 4 fish to my new tank. All other fish seem fine

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one eye was cloudy firva couple days and now today the other eye is cloudy. It does seem like it's effecting his vision. I feel like crap. He came from a treatment with copper for about 2 weeks before I added as one of the first 4 fish to my new tank. All other fish seem fine

He must have had an injury to the one eye that got infected. The infection spread to the other eye at this point. Are they swollen at all? You can try feeding antibiotics, but it's best to dose them in the water of a QT. Kanaplex is a good option for this.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He must have had an injury to the one eye that got infected. The infection spread to the other eye at this point. Are they swollen at all? You can try feeding antibiotics, but it's best to dose them in the water of a QT. Kanaplex is a good option for this.

Or erythromycin for eye infections.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think API still puts it out. I don't ever see Maracyn anymore.

See? we carry Maracyn! I think we carry Erthromycin as well, but it's rarely store-used. Sometimes I can choose something off the shelf but I need cause.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's in a fully rock scaped tank. Is there anything I can do to help him and leave him in the tank. I'll have to dismantle the whole thing to get him out. Maybe some garlic on food with pristine water?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's in a fully rock scaped tank. Is there anything I can do to help him and leave him in the tank. I'll have to dismantle the whole thing to get him out. Maybe some garlic on food with pristine water?

You can try soaking Kanaplex and/or vitamin supplements (exs. Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem) in his food. But when soaking Kanaplex you'll also need to use Seachem Focus to bind the medication to the food. Dosing Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) will also sometimes help to relieve eye swelling.

However, if his condition is rapidly deteriorating then the above advice may not be enough to save his vision or life. Dosing antibiotics in a QT so the eyes can directly absorb the meds is your best option here.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to pull him and qt him. They are swollen and he didn't try eating today. Last night he at least disorientedly tried to eat. My lfs has both kanaplex and erythromyacin. Should I get and use both? One better than the other? Should I lower the salinity too?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to pull him and qt him. They are swollen and he didn't try eating today. Last night he at least disorientedly tried to eat. My lfs has both kanaplex and erythromyacin. Should I get and use both? One better than the other? Should I lower the salinity too?

IME; erythromycin is better for eye infections. Get minocycline too if they have it. You can combine those two together, but DO NOT combine either with Kanaplex.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They recommended praxi pro at the store. I didn't get it tho. Only had eurithrmyocen. On my way home with it

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. On my way now. Would you raise temp and lower salinity?
They recommended praxi pro at the store. I didn't get it tho. Only had eurithrmyocen. On my way home with it

I'd probably lower it a bit as antibiotics will deplete oxygen in the water and there is more dissolved oxygen at lower water temps.

Prazipro would only be useful in this situation if flukes were in the eyes (photos below).

asfur0eye.jpg
Diplostomum_spathaceum.jpg

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a few dip and flukes are in the bucket. So do I need prazipro over the other stuff?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so sorry last question. Prazipro first and then maybe antibiotics after a course of that? Not at the same time? And in the link you sent what exactly is meant by gas exchange? An airstone?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so sorry last question. Prazipro first and then maybe antibiotics after a course of that? Not at the same time? And in the link you sent what exactly is meant by gas exchange? An airstone?

Gas exchange = providing oxygen, whether via air stone, powerhead pointed towards the surface, etc.

I would dose Prazipro first and see how his eye does. He still might need antibiotics in a day or two, but I don't like mixing other meds with Prazi if I can help it.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will say I think the Angels Eyes are a little less cloudy today than we're yesterday but definitely can't see. It got really excited tonight when the food hit the water but was just swimming around until a piece of food practically hit it in the face and then ate it. Do you think his site will come back? I feel terrible..

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will say I think the Angels Eyes are a little less cloudy today than we're yesterday but definitely can't see. It got really excited tonight when the food hit the water but was just swimming around until a piece of food practically hit it in the face and then ate it. Do you think his site will come back? I feel terrible..

With treatment it's possible for sure. Without, I can't say. He might be able to heal up on his own assuming he has a good immune system. Maybe, but with flukes present it will be hard for him to heal up completely on his own.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 56 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.7%
Back