Sea Hare slimed and killed some Zoa's, anyone else have this happen?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the course of a few months, I was losing some zoa's off the frag rack in my main tank. Couldn't figure out why, and at first wrote it off to just "that's reefing." With 5 tanks in the house, we would rotate a sea hare between the tanks, and as soon as he ran out of food, would get moved on to the next tank, think because of this I didn't notice it right away. What I eventually noticed was that he would get up on the frag rack, and the smaller frags with fewer zoas, he would climb right on top of while he was munching searching for algae. I think eventually this was either annoying them or actually somehow damaging them, as all the ones he would sit on eventually melted off. Tried dipping in iodine, coral rx, revive, hydrogen peroxide, but the ones that he sat himself on top of would melt/continue melting, while the other zoa's on the rack were fine, even when dipped alongside the ones affected (i.e. they were getting same exact treatment.)

Some were new frags, others I had had for a long time, so don't believe it was perhaps recent cuttings or similar. I do know my water quality deteriorated for a period due to an expired DI cartridge, but it was only the frags that the sea hare sat on/smothered that were affected, so I'm still blaming him for it.

Frags I lost (this is just me venting/crying for my losses as most of these frags were the only ones I had of the zoa's) %<-GPS

Blueberries.jpg

RedHornetActinic.jpg

ZGsUFOsDay-1.jpg

CARsActinic2.jpg

KOsNightmaresDay.jpg

LunarswithMorphscopy.jpg

SerenitiesDay4polyps.jpg

003Sale.jpg

and some Darth mauls I had just picked up and never even had a chance to take a picture of.

In general :cry:

Anyone else have a similar problem with a sea hare? Or am I just blaming an innocent slug for no reason?

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on the sea hare but was considering getting one to rotate around as well. I know that valonia will irritate zoas.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian - Sorry to hear man...sounds like the sea hare is just a bull in a china shop. You would think the zoa would just close up and be fine. Do you think the sea hare is inking in the tank and maybe causing additional irritation??

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back