OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to know I'm not the only one that has the same issue. I'm going to try real hard to get some video of them eating tomorrow. It is very entertaining to watch them eat.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool Krista, looking forward to your video.

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my seahorse did not want to cooperate with me. It is hiding a lot. Yes, I said seahorse not seahorses. This morning, I lost one of them. It all started last night when I found one of my seahorses stuck in the MP10 wetside. The seahorse was hanging on last night, but was visibly stressed and struggling. I put biobandge on the tail to help protect the damaged tail. :( Somehow, the cover for the MP 10 came off and the seahorse hitched on it and got stuck.

The video is not the best, but if you listen closely you can hear the seahorse snick the shrimp.

[video=youtube;Q0FE-DWzpxs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q0FE-DWzpxs[/video]

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the photos Krista!!

So sorry about the one....... I never have had luck with them and I love them too!

Last edited:

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss Krista. I have been through the same thing lately but I just keep buying them and hoping for the best. Once you have them, so hard to not keep trying!! Love the video!

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Wendy and Missy!

Missy, it took me some time to figure out why I was struggling with my seahorses. I recently found a much better supplier for my seahorses that are captive bred somewhat local to me. If you haven't done so, you may want to look at an alternative supplier.

I think in the next couple of weeks I am going to add 3 more seahorses. :)

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I still need to find where and what type of horses im going to get

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about the loss. :(

LisaD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about your loss. I totally agree about finding a good supplier. I have gotten 2 from Aquatic critter and my next 2 from a great little LFS in Birmingham. All 4 are doing great. My only advice would be to be really careful about power heads in your pony tank. I use strictly HOB filters because they are such weak swimmers. I worry constantly about them getting stuck on something. I'd never sleep if I had a power head in there :(
Synchronized pony swimming
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1373745937.302066.jpg

Oldest pony
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1373746003.901033.jpg

All 4 hunting
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1373746040.615741.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Great pics!

I appreciate the input, but I need power heads in my tank. The reason that I have the mp10 in the tank is due to depth of my tank. I have EXTREME dead spots toward the bottom of the tank that without water flow those spots can have reduced oxygen. This occurs in the bottom corners of the tank. I think the reason the cover slipped off was because it was getting worn and stretched out from cleaning. I have found a way to make new covers to replace frequently. :)

Chorse Momma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really try to find an alternative to having powerheads in the tank. I have a spraybar in my tank and it adds quite a bit of flow. I also have a HOB filter that also adds to the water movement. Was that a heater in the one picture? Ideally you really would not need a heater a the horses do much better in water that is cooler. This prevents the bacterial diseases from overtaking the horses. The tank will keep to your home ambient temp. My hose temp is anywhere from 72-74. And the water may feel cool but that is what is best for them. If you have any fish in there and you are worried that it is too cool for them, rethink what you what to keep in that tank then.

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really try to find an alternative to having powerheads in the tank. I have a spraybar in my tank and it adds quite a bit of flow. I also have a HOB filter that also adds to the water movement. Was that a heater in the one picture? Ideally you really would not need a heater a the horses do much better in water that is cooler. This prevents the bacterial diseases from overtaking the horses. The tank will keep to your home ambient temp. My hose temp is anywhere from 72-74. And the water may feel cool but that is what is best for them. If you have any fish in there and you are worried that it is too cool for them, rethink what you what to keep in that tank then.

Thanks for the information. The heater was used to keep the tank at 74 when I had heating issue in my house last year. I only used the heater to ensure the temp did not drop too low. The heater is unplugged and has algae growing on it. This makes a great hitching post for the seahorses. I do have chiller and the tank is completely dedicated to everything that a seahorse needs.

I have looked at several alternatives for the water movement. Seahorses like areas of somewhat moderate flow and with the MP 10, I am able to provide this. The mistake I had made with the previous cover was that I did not realize that it had stretched a little. This made it come off in the tank. I have since fixed this issue.

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free to good home: seahorse that will induce heart attacks. LOL Not really, but I am convinced this seahorse likes to play games. I went to check on my seahorse last night and found the seahorse in a strange position near the bottom of the tank. I thought the worst and went in full panic mode. I caressed the seahorse out of the area and noticed it went straight back to the same area. It was feeding time so I fed the tank. Right away the seahorse went snicking for food. This gave me sometime to see what was so intriguing about the area where the seahorse was. The area was loaded with pods. I went into panic mode for no reason.

Cris5215

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I can buy some reidi seahorse for cheap and that are captive breed ???

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I can buy some reidi seahorse for cheap and that are captive breed ???

To be honest, I don't think cheap and captive bred go together for seahorses. H. erectus usually run around 60 and they are somewhat more hardy and easy to breed.

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update: My seahorse is still doing quite well. I am going to be adding some more this weekend (hopefully). I am going to go to the place where I got my seahorse from and pick up 1-2 more. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 75 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.3%
Back