"Seal" for intank media basket

ConnivingPigeon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm planning on making some media baskets for my fluval evo 13.5 out of acrylic. Part of my reasoning to do it is to modify the flow of the back filtration area to have more flow through the filtration media. Since I'm probably not going to be able to exactly nail the dimensions of the chambers, I was wondering if there was a good material I could put on the outside of the baskets to ensure the flow goes "through" the media and not "around it". Thanks!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm planning on making some media baskets for my fluval evo 13.5 out of acrylic. Part of my reasoning to do it is to modify the flow of the back filtration area to have more flow through the filtration media. Since I'm probably not going to be able to exactly nail the dimensions of the chambers, I was wondering if there was a good material I could put on the outside of the baskets to ensure the flow goes "through" the media and not "around it". Thanks!

not sure what you mean?

packing the bag lightly would be as much as you can do.

OP
OP
ConnivingPigeon

ConnivingPigeon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, let me try and explain better. The chambers are 3"x3.5", but if I make the acrylic box 2.9"x3.4" (just because i'm not going to be able to nail it exactly), then the water will just flow around the basket and not touch the media. I'm wondering if there is I good material I could put outside the basket to make the flow less encouraged to skirt the outside

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, let me try and explain better. The chambers are 3"x3.5", but if I make the acrylic box 2.9"x3.4" (just because i'm not going to be able to nail it exactly), then the water will just flow around the basket and not touch the media. I'm wondering if there is I good material I could put outside the basket to make the flow less encouraged to skirt the outside
This might not help because i do not have the same tank but wouldn't it be easier to do it where the overflow is so it would flow down thru and out the bottom and then on to the next chamber. That is how i do it on my waterbox. I am guessing your using the next chamber over from the overflow? Either way you will not always get some pass by

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok I understand now...I don't see it as an issue, will just mean it'll take a couple of passes for all the water to go through the media, even in a sump most people don't have 100% of their tank water going through the media on the first pass, many either use a reactor where the flow is reduced a lot going through the reactor so the media doesn't rub and break down, some just have media in a bag in the sump.

With the turnover of the tank being maybe 5+ times, that'll be more than fine, it's always good to not have a tight seal anyway as if your media should block the water flow for any reason or slow it down too much, that can be a far bigger issue, your ato would go off, return pump issue etc it's good to have a bypass for the water just incase.

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a lot of headache and no benefits.
I just use the intank basket and have zero issues on my Evo. You can also 3D print a few different variations.

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine i had some person i believe on here make me a custom filter cup for my water box. Its a odd size of 2.75" for the filter sock. The filter cup forces all the water thru it like a filter sock but without the pain of cleaning a filter sock. I just use cheap filter floss or pinky pad in it. Keeps my tank sparkling clean. Plenty of room to also throw media in it. Works great

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would get very labour intensive changing floss every few days.
The point is to pack it so tight that water does not pass through therefore no significant debris would accumulate and no changing would be required.

So, no, I disagree with your assertion.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would get very labour intensive changing floss every few days.

The point is to pack it so tight that water does not pass through therefore no significant debris would accumulate and no changing would be required.

The OP is talking about a .1" gap. That's average of .05" on each side. How much water do you think can really pass through filter floss/felt that's .05" thick and multiple inches long? You might be surprised to find very little flow would occur.

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 5gal Fluval. I just use an magnetic algae scrapper to keep the flow in the basket. Best part you'll have a spot for the scrapper without seeing it. I think it's made by two little fishes.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not a great idea to leave flitter floss in a tank for more than a few days, even when tightly packed it would still attract detritus and still water trapped between, not a good idea...also if it was packed as tight as you are suggesting it would be very difficult to get in place and remove, the down sides to this far outweigh any positives

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a great idea to leave flitter floss in a tank for more than a few days, even when tightly packed it would still attract detritus and still water trapped between, not a good idea...also if it was packed as tight as you are suggesting it would be very difficult to get in place and remove, the down sides to this far outweigh any positives
I love how you ignore the fact that I suggested filter felt material as well, choosing to focus on filter floss instead simply to win an argument. It's ridiculous on your part.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us are trying to answer the OP's question instead of simply dismissing it.

Experimenting and DIY is in many people's nature.
Lol I get what you're saying for sure.

But I'm just trying to also reassure incase he gets frustrated with a solution instead of forgoing it just that it most likely won't be the end of the world.

Lots of people make their media baskets our of egg crate :) so to each their own. I know myself I'm a perfectionist as well so I do understand.

If it were really so important, I'd say he should just measure the acrylic he's cutting better.

You can DIY a perfect fit also, mike from Micro Reefs who does custom acrylic work makes all his in-tank media baskets with less than 1/32nd an inch of space. So it is doable.

I do think something like a sock or filter floss over time might become a "nitrate" factory if left there forever. I don't think he'd have to change it every day but at least once a month. Which would just be more maintenance and personally I'd forgo it and have the .1 gap.

The reason why it won't stay "clean forever" is he's eventually going to move those baskets in and out to replace media. That will stir up detritus in the sump/rear chambers and eventually stick to the floss.

So some change would 100% be required eventually.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how you ignore the fact that I suggested filter felt material as well, choosing to focus on filter floss instead simply to win an argument. It's ridiculous on your part.

my argument equally applies to felt, either would cause the same issue, infact felt would probably be worse as it's a tighter weave so the issues I outlined would be magnified.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 31.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back