Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Balling Part C keeps all ions from getting reduced by the salinity changes (at least by their composition claim). Potassium, bromide, boron, fluoride, etc.

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, is the Calcium part correct? 500 grams of calcium chloride dihydrate is about 2 ½ cups? Using aqua-calc.com I'm seeing that 2.5 cups is around double that, 1000 grams.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, is the Calcium part correct? 500 grams of calcium chloride dihydrate is about 2 ½ cups? Using aqua-calc.com I'm seeing that 2.5 cups is around double that, 1000 grams.

In my recipe, 500 grams of calcium chloride dihydrate took 2.5 cups.

I would not use that calculator for ANY reef purpose involving powders. I think they are using the density of individual crystals, not the density of a powder which has lots of air space in it.

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using hydroxide for my alk and the PH got pretty high and the swings were bigger as well. I went back to baked baking soda.
This week I realized I can have my Apex dose hydroxide when my PH is below 8.3 and regular baking soda when it is above 8.3. Both made to the same concentration and set for the same amount and one of the dosers is always on so alk has been relatively stable at 7.6
Is there an alk or PH target I can shoot for that would naturally keep my PH more stable than I'm getting now?
I also have fresh air to the skimmer, fuge lighting with macro, and kalk on when PH is under 8.3. So maybe I'll have to tweak those.
You can see it cut the low swings in half midweek.
Screenshot_20231122_085205_APEXFusion.jpg

yury88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just leave some concern about start message because i spend HOURS to find the answer...
Magnesium part

Dissolve Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume.

Randy, are you lost your scales? CUPS for measurement? Seriously?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just leave some concern about start message because i spend HOURS to find the answer...

Randy, are you lost your scales? CUPS for measurement? Seriously?

What’s the concern? The recipe was derived using mass (which is given in the original article) but the amount of magnesium used by a reef tank will vary more than variation in the bulk density of the materials varies.

The original recipe and article was to use 64 ounces (weight) of Epsom salt since it frequently comes in that size container in the USA.

yury88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the concern? The recipe was derived using mass (which is given in the original article) but the amount of magnesium used by a reef tank will vary more than variation in the bulk density of the materials varies.

The original recipe and article was to use 64 ounces (weight) of Epsom salt since it frequently comes in that size container in the USA.
Be consistent. 1 and 2 part used a grams for recipe, not Cups.
Cups of magnesium chloride is not accurate measurements!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be consistent. 1 and 2 part used a grams for recipe, not Cups.
Cups of magnesium chloride is not accurate measurements!

I did it the way I think best and would do it the same again.

My recipes use both measured in most cases, and I will continue to do so since different folks like different methods.

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been happy with A4R, but if I wanted to replace it with this system for oh benefit, what’s the course of action?

Alk part: hydroxide + TM A-
Calcium: calcium chloride + TM k+
Tropic Marin part C

Is that the complete set up or do I need a magnesium element as well?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been happy with A4R, but if I wanted to replace it with this system for oh benefit, what’s the course of action?

Alk part: hydroxide + TM A-
Calcium: calcium chloride + TM k+
Tropic Marin part C

Is that the complete set up or do I need a magnesium element as well?
Tropic Marin Balling Part C has magnesium already. You don’t need to supplement magnesium if you are using balling part C.

Remember:

283g NaOH in a gallon of RO/DI
500g CaCl2 in a gallon of RO/DI
182g Balling Part C in a gallon of RO/DI

Balling part C instructions say to use 91g per gallon, but that is for Tropic Marin’s alk and ca additive ratio which is 50% weaker than Randy’s recipe. Thus, you need to add twice of the 91g amount in a gallon.

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Balling Part C has magnesium already. You don’t need to supplement magnesium if you are using balling part C.

Remember:

Balling part C instructions say to use 91g per gallon, but that is for Tropic Marin’s alk and ca additive ratio which is 50% weaker than Randy’s recipe. Thus, you need to add twice of the 91g amount in a gallon.
Great, thanks!

Are you adding in the traces to either of the parts?

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using hydroxide for my alk and the PH got pretty high and the swings were bigger as well. I went back to baked baking soda.
This week I realized I can have my Apex dose hydroxide when my PH is below 8.3 and regular baking soda when it is above 8.3. Both made to the same concentration and set for the same amount and one of the dosers is always on so alk has been relatively stable at 7.6
Is there an alk or PH target I can shoot for that would naturally keep my PH more stable than I'm getting now?
I also have fresh air to the skimmer, fuge lighting with macro, and kalk on when PH is under 8.3. So maybe I'll have to tweak those.
You can see it cut the low swings in half midweek.
Screenshot_20231122_085205_APEXFusion.jpg
What code did you use for your apex?

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set as a PH controller and the dosing pump is a standalone litermeter for each. Still working well targeting a PH of 8.3. I may bump up the alk by hand to see if it holds the low end of the PH better or if not target a lower PH say 8.2
When I first set it up the hydroxide wouldn't come on. I didn't realize it needs to drop below the lower setpoint before it powers that outlet then stays on until it hits the upper limit.
Screenshot_20231226_072628_APEXFusion.jpg
Screenshot_20231226_072552_APEXFusion.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Remember:

is that doubling the concentration so you can dose 3 equal parts? I thought you couldn't double balling concentration In 1 gallon...I dose double the balling dose compared to the alkalinity dosage ... I'd love to make balling more concentrated and dose equal parts...

am I missing something?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that doubling the concentration so you can dose 3 equal parts?
Exactly
I thought you couldn't double balling concentration In 1 gallon
I’ve done it multiple times already, and the balling part C fully dissolves with the double concentration. The only time it will be an issue if there is visible precipitation on the bottom, which there isn’t (for me, at least).

And even if there was precipitation, it will fully redissolve back in the tank if you add it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back