Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rjukan
I surveyed 53 miles of the international border between Canada and the USA just north of Beavercreek, Yukon. Only one week training using a Trimble GPS system. I told the owner of the company if the line is not straight it was his fault for cutting me loose after such a short training period. See if I can dig up pictures. Absolutely amazing ground to cover....like walking on a stair climber on steroids! Suck the knee high boots right off your feet! Helicopter to the line every day just to start work and having to cut landing zones with a Sthil tree trimmer's saw and a machete. The last time the boundary was cut in that area was over twenty years ago. Two man crew that staked middle line and 10' on each side so a cutting crew could clear a 20' border line.

I was more amazed by the 5' brass monuments buried in 3' x 3' concrete boxes place over 100 years ago using chain gains and the old survey equipment and doing the math in their heads. Most of the monuments were 0,0 some were shifted 3/10" and a couple had fallen into the eroded river banks. Now those men were true surveyors! Hauled the brass monuments with donkeys and set the concrete for the cones in who knows what kind of weather.

Oh man, that's incredible! I'm amazed when I find city benchmarks set back in the late 1800s, so cool you found X,Y control out in the middle of nowhere that old. Awesome man, thanks for sharing. I wont complain as much when I'm hacking line through the woods in Staten Island or the Bronx lol.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay at home mom here too, so my view is usually kids crafts, toy piles, dishes, laundry piles, and sometimes I get to sit and stare at my tank ;)

In the summer we get out and about a lot more and like to hit up the local parks...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul, that's a great shot on the Plaza. Did you have to climb down to that level or there was access? OSHA would be glad to see the fall protection lol. Steel jobs are my least favorite, on one today up at Columbia business school. Really tough to keep axis lines straight when working on the metal deck before a pour. You were in the IBEW right?

I had to climb down from a window to that level holding that rope and crawling across a wooden plank. I also put some of the lightning rods on top of the (original) World Trade Center as we were building it. I installed the fire alarm on the Empire State Building and lit up the top of it. It was re done 3 times since then. I used to eat my lunch at the base of the antenna but we had no cell phone cameras then. Heights don't bother me.
We built buildings all over Manhattan.
Yes I am IBEW.

Last edited:

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of work for a few months in 2011, had a 1yr old and 4 yr old at the time. Did the household duties and it's much harder than I was expecting, and I knew it wasn't easy. Hats off to you and all who handle that (sometimes) thankless job. Great pic btw lol.
The woman should probably have a few more arms to fully show how many jobs a mom really does. @Rjukan, I see you're in Staten island, We lived there from 1966 to 83. In Princes Bay. I can't imagine how much it's changed.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s initial attack on a fire on the west shore of Lake Tahoe and a couple after things slow down a bit as the morning rolls around and the rain has hit it.

005DD233-9D09-475C-B8D4-3BCB5200CA0F.jpeg

0168D1D0-581F-4AC2-8A7A-59D1CA0E4808.jpeg

C9B8C241-8372-4769-BED2-4A6325373273.jpeg

Several buddies of mine used to work for the Forest Service and would get called out every summer, it was good money, but from the stories was tough work.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The woman should probably have a few more arms to fully show how many jobs a mom really does. @Rjukan, I see you're in Staten island, We lived there from 1966 to 83. In Princes Bay. I can't imagine how much it's changed.

I live on the north shore, have all my life. Out in Princes Bay area there were a lot of townhomes and attached housing built in the late 90s and early 2000s. Traffic in and out of mid-island and the south shore is brutal. You were fortunate to leave when you did. I have about 19 years left until retirement and I'm hoping to make it to the Carolinas, preferably South Carolina near Myrtle Beach lol. But I guess it depends on where my kids goto college and put down their roots. I do love my neighborhood though, we moved to Randal Manor in 2017 from West Brighton. Nice old neighborhood here with old houses from the 20s and 30s.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back