Shining a Light on Reef Light Selection: What are the factors that are important to you when choosing the right light for your reef tank?

What are the most important factors for you in choosing the right light for your tank?

• Light Spectrum/PAR

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Price/Budget

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Type of Light (LED, MH, T5, hybrid, something else...)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Control/Customization Options

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Aesthetic Appeal

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Brand

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other (Post in the thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I've been getting things ready for my new reef aquarium setup, I've been reminded of how overwhelming it can be to choose the right aquarium equipment.

I'd like to start a conversation about how to choose the right light for a reef aquarium. I'm hoping this will be a useful discussion for our community and help us with thinking about how we think about reef lighting selection. So what's your philosophy of light selection?

51819576480_361dca9308_c.jpg

When selecting a reef light, there are so many factors to take into account! I thought it would be great to start a discussion and share our insights about what matters most when choosing the right light for your tank. Here are a few factors that come to mind for me:

1. Light Spectrum and PAR: The spectrum of light and its intensity play a crucial role in the health and growth of coral and other photosynthetic reef inhabitants. For me, spectrum and PAR are probably the biggest factors to be considered when choosing a light. Whatever light is chosen has to be able to meet the photosynthetic needs for the inhabitants we have. I've also noticed that some lights (presumably due to spectrum?) contribute more to nuisance algae growth than others.
  2. Lighting Technology: LED, T5, MH... there are so many lighting technologies available. What's your preferred lighting technology and why? Have you noticed any advantages or drawbacks with a particular type? I'm a big fan of combo light options. My preferred combo atm is LED supplemented by T5 lighting.
  3. Customization and Control: Many modern lighting systems offer programmable controls for simulating sunrise, sunset, and moonlight phases. How important is customization to you, and what specific features do you find most useful? I think of things like schedule control (how intuitive is it to set the lighting schedule and how much control do you get?), app/cloud based options, WiFi VS Bluetooth, etc... Are extra devices needed for optimal control? Does it integrate with my current system of tank control (Apex, GHL, other controllers)? These (and possibly other?) factors be considered when choosing a reef light.
  4. Light Penetration and Spread: Depending on the depth of your aquarium and the coral placement, light penetration can be a challenge. How do you ensure that all your corals receive adequate light, even those in deeper areas? What about corals that are in shaded areas? Getting the right depth AND spread is important when choosing a light.
  5. Aesthetic Appeal: Let's not forget the visual aspect of what the light actually looks like. The right lighting setup can enhance the beauty of your aquarium by contributing to the overall aesthetic of your reef setup (and the converse is also true...there are some light kits that are not visually appealing and can detract from the look of your tank). I know this is a less important point than the ones we've already discussed, but it still plays a factor (at least for me, and I'm sure for some others). How do you balance aesthetics with the lighting needs of your organisms?
  6. Heat and Cooling: Some lighting systems generate a lot of heat, which can impact the aquarium's temperature. How do you manage the heat produced by your lighting system? Is this something you even worry about? (For most LED users, this is probably a non-issue, but for T5 and MH, it's definitely a consideration.)
  7. Budget Considerations: Lighting setups can vary significantly in cost. I mean, let's face it, if money were no object, it might be a lot easier to choose a light for your tank...or maybe not... What's your approach to balancing the initial investment with long-term benefits? Any tips for finding cost-effective yet reliable lighting solutions? I will say that here I learned early on NOT to skimp on this part of my equipment. Buying a better light usually pays off long-term because if you cheap out on a light, you will still end up buying the better light later on...you'll just end up buying TWICE! Now, that said, budget is obviously a factor...IMHO you just need to determine where the line is on "good 'nuff" and not budge on that.
  8. Coral Types: Different corals have varying lighting requirements. Do you have a mixed reef with various types of corals, or are you focusing on specific coral types? How do you accommodate the diverse lighting needs of different corals? This is a question that I think should probably be a bigger factor than it often is for hobbyists when choosing a light.
  9. Brand Loyalty: Let's face it, we all have our favorite equipment brands, and rightly so! If a manufacturer has earned your loyalty in this hobby, it's probably because they are doing something well that you find value in! I think it's important to ask yourself what role brand loyalty and trust play into your decision when purchasing a light. How likely are you to stick with one particular company because of your own experience or their reputation? What would it take for you to consider other options? What other options would you consider?
  10. Research and Reviews: How do you go about researching and selecting the right light for your reef? Do you rely more on online reviews, personal experiences, or advice from fellow reef keepers? This might be one of the hardest parts of this whole question. What is your process for researching lighting? What reviews do you trust? How do you weed out useful reviews from shills or bashers?
Let's get the discussion rolling! Share your experiences, preferences, and any tips you've gathered on finding the perfect lighting setup for a thriving reef aquarium. Your insights could be incredibly valuable to both new and experienced reef hobbyists.

Front3.jpg

Photos in this post of @MantisReef's beautiful peninsula reef.
Read all about this tank in the THIS ARTICLE where it was featured as our Reef of the Month.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't pay much attention to spectrum. Everything from Chinese black boxes to the most over-priced Ecotech fixtures are pretty proven to grow coral at this point. Yeah maybe that Ecotech or new AI light might grow some coral a couple % faster, but there's so many things I as a reefer need to improve before I'm actually limited by what PAR spectrum I'm using.

As far as Par per dollar is concerned I think Noopsyche or ReefBreeders are taking the cake currently. I just installed some of the K7 Mini lights and I cannot believe their punch for how cheap they are. Before that I had the Reef Breeder V-24 Pro and that did a good job as well.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with Kessil LED this time around. I have two a360x with the spectral controller and narrow reflectors going over a 36"x24"x12"h tank.

Why? Because they are more than adequate for a 12" tall tank to grow pretty much anything, they don't bombard your system with heat, and the power usage is a lot lower than MH. If I had a larger tank, I would still be using MH...make no mistake.

This was the most practical solution suited to my system and it replicates the look of metal halide close enough while delivering the intensity I'll need. Plus I'll never touch my elbow to a MH bulb while working in the tank. If you've ever done that, you know what I mean. It will never happen again. LOL

The tank in the photo, is beautiful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back