Should I get 4 kessil a80s or 2 a350/360s on my 135

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tiny lights should be more than fine. You (or I, with the tank dimensions) can calculate the right hight to get adequate coverage.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe consider a single strip light vs the spots? Either is good – just a thought. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're looking for all the effects I take it?

First let me restate that the Kessil solution you spec'd should be good. Just sayin here...

Almost all strips are dimmable, depending on your setup. Do you need dimming to be built in?

Is dimming the key, or are you looking for more advanced dimming-based features like sunrise/sunset?

There are actually quite a few good options that aren't top-dollar. And since you aren't growing coral, there's no sense in putting a ton of PAR light into the tank unless you just love scraping glass. ;)

Unless you want to grow algae for the fish! One mega-spotlight over a tall, semi-flat rock structure is how I'd do that. Keep the rest of the tank lighting more-subdued.

For $400 (drfost), a six-foot Current USA Orbit IC light might be the best "feature-heavy" option going.

It's got great spread plus it's got per-LED control across the whole grid for storms, cloud cover, moon, etc. Pretty sure it comes with everything you need.

If you had some dimming control on an Apex or Reefkeeper, a simpler (cheaper) set of Current's strips (or someone else's) might work too.

Aquaticlife, Fluval, Finnex, and even Coralife and Marineland make strips you would be fine with too, depending what the goals really are. :) Most of them have wireless control, etc.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to go the kessil route, What about 3 kessil 160s?

Cheaper than 2 kessil 360's.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're looking for all the effects I take it?

First let me restate that the Kessil solution you spec'd should be good. Just sayin here...

Almost all strips are dimmable, depending on your setup. Do you need dimming to be built in?

Is dimming the key, or are you looking for more advanced dimming-based features like sunrise/sunset?

There are actually quite a few good options that aren't top-dollar. And since you aren't growing coral, there's no sense in putting a ton of PAR light into the tank unless you just love scraping glass. ;)

Unless you want to grow algae for the fish! One mega-spotlight over a tall, semi-flat rock structure is how I'd do that. Keep the rest of the tank lighting more-subdued.

For $400 (drfost), a six-foot Current USA Orbit IC light might be the best "feature-heavy" option going.

It's got great spread plus it's got per-LED control across the whole grid for storms, cloud cover, moon, etc. Pretty sure it comes with everything you need.

If you had some dimming control on an Apex or Reefkeeper, a simpler (cheaper) set of Current's strips (or someone else's) might work too.

Aquaticlife, Fluval, Finnex, and even Coralife and Marineland make strips you would be fine with too, depending what the goals really are. :) Most of them have wireless control, etc.

Fluval doesn't make them in 72 inches I work for petco if they did I'd be on that getting discount lol. Coralife lost my business when their led fixture failed on me. Aquatic doesn't seem to come up often in the hobby. Finnex idk but it's a show tank so I'd like it to look sleek you know? I've had many talk about current USA and I've seen them in person but they are always coming out with different models and styles so to me it's like they are always on the move. So I'll look into them but I don't like that they are always upgrading makes me think they have something wrong with the last product they make. I haven't tried reef brite I'd like them to be dimmable just between color and intensity. Not so much different functions like cloudy or storms you know?

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually only seems really confusing when you read about them online. After I read up a little on their site it makes more sense.

To my knowledge, they haven't upgraded any existing products (like Maxspect) or taken anything off the market lately. Though I've heard it the same way as you before.

In a nutshell, they have two lines, each with a high, medium and low end.

1) They have the basic line of strips that starts with something a couple steps above those eBay 5050 LED's you see. (Nice tho for what they are!) ....the True Lumen Pro is the top of that line.

2) They have the Orbit line, which includes controllers sunrises/sunset effects, etc. Within this line, there's the low-power Orbit Marine. The medium power Orbit Marine IC and the high intensity Orbit Marine Pro.

The other strips I mentioned are all more or less pretty similar to the Orbit Marine, I think.

You also might not need a full 72" of coverage....if they make a 60" and it's returnable, that would be worth a try. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, definitely a safe bet! (Just not the only option.) :)

What are the dimensions of your 135?

(The Current's are in 72" length's BTW....think I forgot to mention.)

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, kessils say they cover a 24 x 24 section....I would say more like 18 x18 IME....at least 3 of whatever one you want...I wouldn't waste the $ on the 360's when you don't need them for coral. I assume you just want on/off control too. If you do, look closely on their integration with apex or get the spectral controller.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, kessils say they cover a 24 x 24 section....I would say more like 18 x18 IME....at least 3 of whatever one you want...I wouldn't waste the $ on the 360's when you don't need them for coral. I assume you just want on/off control too. If you do, look closely on their integration with apex or get the spectral controller.
Of course yeah I get what your saying. I saw this video by reefbreeders on YouTube at macna and that's what gave me the idea of the.

Looks to me as it wouldn't be that bad to have them. And if I do upgrade lights I can always use them for nanos.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know if A80's come with the ultra-wide 140º lenses?

If so, you will want to keep these guys low to the tank – about 4" from the water surface. Maybe even slightly less. This keeps all the light in the tank vs spilling into the room. If they use a 90º lens then about 10" off the water....maybe less.

You know another cool option would be to use hidden lighting behind the front trim on the tank:

These work as-expected in air, but they are also IP68 rated to be run below the water line. $70 each. I'd start with one every two feet and place them sideways vs how they are in the videos below, unless you want even more light. Tunze uses about one per foot.
csm_8811.000_cb691e02d3.jpg

There's a full spectrum version with color control for $150.

You can see Tunze lighting their 150 gallon demo tank with them at Interzoo here:

and here:

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know if A80's come with the ultra-wide 140º lenses?

If so, you will want to keep these guys low to the tank – about 4" from the water surface. Maybe even slightly less. This keeps all the light in the tank vs spilling into the room. If they use a 90º lens then about 10" off the water....maybe less.

You know another cool option would be to use hidden lighting behind the front trim on the tank:

These work as-expected in air, but they are also IP68 rated to be run below the water line. $70 each. I'd start with one every two feet and place them sideways vs how they are in the videos below, unless you want even more light. Tunze uses about one per foot.
csm_8811.000_cb691e02d3.jpg

There's a full spectrum version with color control for $150.

You can see Tunze lighting their 150 gallon demo tank with them at Interzoo here:

and here:

That's a neat idea but I don't want any wires hanging on in the inside of the tank. And my flow is aimed upwards. Any other recommendations? I like the kessils. I found a good deal on them 2 with goosenecks for $290.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many A80's are you starting with again?

No, no other ideas. ;)

That's a neat idea but I don't want any wires hanging on in the inside of the tank.

From those videos (start from this timestamp), I don't think you'd see anything much at all inside the tank. (unless your tank is a rimless too)....wires appear to route over/around the trim on top of the tank. :)

Does this tank have a trim though? I don't think your pumps aiming up would matter to these things.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many A80's are you starting with again?

No, no other ideas. ;)

From those videos (start from this timestamp), I don't think you'd see anything much at all inside the tank. (unless your tank is a rimless too)....wires appear to route over/around the trim on top of the tank. :)

Does this tank have a trim though? I don't think your pumps aiming up would matter to these things.

It has a trim
IMG_2154.JPG

I was going to start out with two and then get to more and then depending on the spread angle them.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i agree this new loop ic from current is great if you order from marine depot you can still take advantage of the free pump and hub at the same price as just the light system.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two for $290 definitely isn't bad to experiment if you have the space cash and don't mind switching later if you change your mind.

But $580 for a set of four? I guess I didn't think about cost - seems pretty steep for a "fish light"! If it comes to a second set, I'd have to re-consider which way to go I think.

I think a single 72" Current USA Orbit Pro (about $800) or 72" Orbit IC ($400) sitting flat on the tank trim might even be slicker looking aesthetically and leave less shadows than two or even four spotlights. The Pro would be more reef capable, but both will grow corals just fine!

The Orbit Pro would have the potential advantage of coming with 60º lenses, supporting a higher hanging distance with about the same level of spread compared to the other strips.

Back