Should I start Running Carbon?

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that the color of my tank water is a bit yellow and I was wondering if I should start running carbon. If so, can I place it in a media bag under a high flow area until I can get a carbon reactor or do I even need a reactor?

Are there any real concerns with running carbon?

Are there other options besides Carbon that would help clarify my water?

Thanks!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good carbon will help clear the water up. You can put it in a high flow are.
I use a tlf reactor I had laying around.
As long as you rinse it there is no negative effects

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good carbon will help clear the water up. You can put it in a high flow are.
I use a tlf reactor I had laying around.
As long as you rinse it there is no negative effects
Thank you Todd! I will at least get started with some in a media bag!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read something in a post the other day that running carbon too much can be detrimental to coral. Is there any truth to that?
No not from what I have ever seen.
The only ill effect I have seen is when it is not rinsed out good before placement.

Also the change in clarity is noticed by the reaction of corals by letting more light penetrate the water.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read something in a post the other day that running carbon too much can be detrimental to coral. Is there any truth to that?

For what it's worth, I started running carbon from the beginning because I didn't know any different (it's been a year and a half), and have noticed no ill effects from doing so. As twilliard said, I just make sure it is rinsed thoroughly before going in. Water is always crystal clear!

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ROX 0.8 carbon from BRS. I use it 24/7, and think it a benefit.
I was just looking at carbon (I will get the ROX per your advice) and reactors from BRS and I'm trying to decide which one to get. I have a 75g with a 40g sump, but I might upgrade to a larger tank down the road, it will be around 200g. Also is there a benefit to getting a dual reactor? Thank you!

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Also is there a benefit to getting a dual reactor? Thank you!

Starting out I purchased the BRS dual reactor, and have been using it ever since with pretty good success. But, if I were to offer any advise (or do it over again myself), I would probably recommend going with the singles. You can start with one for your carbon, and then add one later if/when you want to run GFO. I only say this because you may want a different flow for each product, and with the dual, you can only control the flow going in to both reactors. This is just food for thought so take it for what it's worth.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting out I purchased the BRS dual reactor, and have been using it ever since with pretty good success. But, if I were to offer any advise (or do it over again myself), I would probably recommend going with the singles. You can start with one for your carbon, and then add one later if/when you want to run GFO. I only say this because you may want a different flow for each product, and with the dual, you can only control the flow going in to both reactors. This is just food for thought so take it for what it's worth.
That's a very good point and makes complete sense. I will start with a single reactor. Sorry, but another question. Should I get the full size or would the mini work fine for now & when I upgrade my tank? Thanks!

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very good point and makes complete sense. I will start with a single reactor. Sorry, but another question. Should I get the full size or would the mini work fine for now & when I upgrade my tank? Thanks!

I would recommend just going with the full size from the start. Double check the BRS website, as I think they rate the skimmers by the amount of product they hold and an estimated gallon they can treat. And if I remember correctly, the price difference isn't that substantial anyway. I think the mini may be too small to handle what you have now, let alone an upgrade. Again, just going off memory, and of course, just my opinion.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go full size. One perk is that standard household sediment filters fit, so I used one of them instead of copious amounts of water to rinse new sand.

That's a great idea...I didn't realize the sediment filters fit...good information.

One other thing I will add, and it's completely unnecessary, but I also ordered another interior canister for the BRS reactors. I think is was only about $10. But I can prep either the carbon or GFO, install it in the canister, and simply swap it out when it's time to change. Makes it very easy to change the media. Then you're not having the immediately clean out the current canister, refill and install in order to get back up and running.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend just going with the full size from the start. Double check the BRS website, as I think they rate the skimmers by the amount of product they hold and an estimated gallon they can treat. And if I remember correctly, the price difference isn't that substantial anyway. I think the mini may be too small to handle what you have now, let alone an upgrade. Again, just going off memory, and of course, just my opinion.
I will just scratch out the mini then. You just confirmed what I was thinking! Thank you!
That's a great idea...I didn't realize the sediment filters fit...good information.

One other thing I will add, and it's completely unnecessary, but I also ordered another interior canister for the BRS reactors. I think is was only about $10. But I can prep either the carbon or GFO, install it in the canister, and simply swap it out when it's time to change. Makes it very easy to change the media. Then you're not having the immediately clean out the current canister, refill and install in order to get back up and running.

That's funny, I was talking with someone at BRS about the extra cartridge, because I thought that would be a good way to go. The amount that the extra cartridge holds was different than what was stated for the one that came with the reactor. He said that they would update the info as there were probably two different people that entered the information and that it holds the same amount!

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go full size. One perk is that standard household sediment filters fit, so I used one of them instead of copious amounts of water to rinse new sand.
Could you please show me which household filters you use! And also what you mean by not using copious amounts of water to rinse new sand? Do you mean to rinse the new carbon or am I missing something. Sorry, but this is all new to me. Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please show me which household filters you use! And also what you mean by not using copious amounts of water to rinse new sand? Do you mean to rinse the new carbon or am I missing something. Sorry, but this is all new to me. Thanks!

FWIW, the ROX doesn't need much rinsing. Just a little tank water through it in the reactor (that water gets discarded) and it is good to go.

I use a single BRS reactor for it (packed full) and a single separate one for GFO (not packed). :)

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I use a single BRS reactor for it (packed full) and a single separate one for GFO (not packed). :)

Randy, out of curiosity, do you put your carbon between the sponge filters or just fill the reactor?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the ROX doesn't need much rinsing. Just a little tank water through it in the reactor (that water gets discarded) and it is good to go.

I use a single BRS reactor for it (packed full) and a single separate one for GFO (not packed). :)

So Randy, if I'm planning on have Chaeto in my sump, is GFO still recommended? With the oversized skimmer and GFO, I'm concerned that those methods would preferentially clean the water, essentially starving the Chaeto.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back