OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the ROX doesn't need much rinsing. Just a little tank water through it in the reactor (that water gets discarded) and it is good to go.

I use a single BRS reactor for it (packed full) and a single separate one for GFO (not packed). :)
Thank you Randy! I have so much to learn and appreciate all of the help that you and others so freely share!

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to advice everyone else has added, carbon is a useful way to filter your tank water.

Just be sure to carefully rinse it until there are no more fines produced. Carbon fines getting out into the tank has been linked to problems for corals and fish.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please show me which household filters you use! And also what you mean by not using copious amounts of water to rinse new sand? Do you mean to rinse the new carbon or am I missing something. Sorry, but this is all new to me. Thanks!

When I was setting up my 150, I purchased maybe 10 bags of new sand. I went to Home Depot and got sediment filters to run in the reactor. I used them along with manually stirring up the sand instead of putting the sand in a bucket and running a hose into it to get rid of all of the dust.

This is just after setting the tank up. You can see the Maxijet feed pump on the right side along with the white tubing that leads to the reactor. I wouldn't suggest them for long term use, but I think they worked great for getting the junk out of the water quickly.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was setting up my 150, I purchased maybe 10 bags of new sand. I went to Home Depot and got sediment filters to run in the reactor. I used them along with manually stirring up the sand instead of putting the sand in a bucket and running a hose into it to get rid of all of the dust.

This is just after setting the tank up. You can see the Maxijet feed pump on the right side along with the white tubing that leads to the reactor. I wouldn't suggest them for long term use, but I think they worked great for getting the junk out of the water quickly.

Thank you and what a great idea! I will have to remember this when I set up my next system or just add new sand! Can these pre filters also be used in an RO/DI unit? I love your tank!!!

Last edited:

Chris-tico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread. this will help me alot!. i also wanted the dual reactor..! now i'll get it single!

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read something in a post the other day that running carbon too much can be detrimental to coral. Is there any truth to that?
I think that was my post you saw that comment in. When you have low nutrient levels like I do having carbon running isn't a good idea. I was told to pull it out as I couldn't have detectable nitrates or phosphates.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult to open the brs reactor? I have experienced in home RO drinking water system, it's very difficult to open the cartridge to replce the filter (they gave the tool to unscrew but Due to pressure, it's very difficult to loosen)

Thanks

zzzdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the BRS mini and it's been pretty easy to open, I do use their tool that comes with it

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back