Should we rethink and refine means and methods for cycling tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test for Ammonia using Seneye Nh3.
Confirm with API ammonia kit to .001 of themselves.
This I find funny. My original question was deflected from.
"Title is should we rethink..." So here I am thinking. Adding to this thread not trolling. How is it that a .25 reading is said to be a mis read or user error. I have experienced this as well. However 90% of the time I use this kit I do not get this error. Nor with other test kits that work in a similar way. Never has a real reason been explained. As you all know from in other thread. I show you that it would not change color at all without certain forms of nitrogen. We do not see other forms interfere with this test kit. We can see certain known interferences. However why are we seeing this color change in brand new tanks that have not dosed anything except food or ammonia products?
How is it that you guys bash test kit then use it to confirm "sensitive results". When here .25 if "unknown reason why" is just a mis read, bad kit, or user error. This I do not think is what is happening. However then how can one use this to verify .001 reading? You wouldn't even be able to notice a color change vs a .001 reading of meter.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This I find funny. My original question was deflected from.

How is it that you guys bash test kit then use it to confirm "sensitive results". When here .25 if "unknown reason why" is just a mis read, bad kit, or user error. This I do not think is what is happening. However then how can one use this to verify .001 reading? You wouldn't even be able to notice a color change vs a .001 reading of meter.
You’d better not reply to this but I find it odd also that the seneye appears to read a lot lower than actual seawater considering the amount of food we put in;

A9D6A09E-5AE5-4343-8B93-FB2C5AF7C26C.jpeg

Edit - thanks Randy, again :)
I imagine this is Total Ammonia.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting

Are we totally back dismissing and calling others charted observations a lie again?
We gave the link in this thread in which Neon clearly states he has observed low concentrations with seneye and confirmed those concentrations with other kits.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting

Are we totally back dismissing and calling others charted observations a lie again?
We gave the link in this thread in which Neon clearly states he has observed low concentrations with seneye and confirmed those concentrations with other kits.
Personally I think it means we are feeding far too little, due to water quality concerns.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think it means we are feeding far too little, due to water quality concerns.
Right on. For me when used in the application we discussed its more about seeing exactly what kind of bioloads we can actually achieve with the measured increments of feeding and watching ammonia.
I haven't been able to disrupt the ammonia processing yet. And that's probably because I haven't tried adding fish irresponsibly. Don't plan on it either. But super efficient for the cpl fish that most reefers stock up front either way.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s an ammonia dosing thread on here somewhere that I’ve ignored. I’m going to find it and do some more learning. It probably means my brain will have to kick something out though, as long as it’s nothin crucial like breathing, I should be ok :)

Edit;

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done writing a viral thread, viral for our forum at least. Few threads get to fifty pages as quickly, in that way the highly negative inputs have helped. In that way only lol.

if analysts will take time to arrange patterns and trending they see/can remark upon directly that will continue to elevate the standards of proof we need as we redefine what it means to be cycled in the hobby.

Last edited:
  • 2 Thumbs
Reactions: LRT

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want there to be a different standard of debate by second fiscal quarter of 2022.

it can't be words against the work threads, its gotta be work threads against work threads for the race to interpreted patterning.

the only thing that matters in all this is what we can do for other's reef tanks. I'll need to see those reef tanks eventually for anyone's argument to stick/carry weight

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its neat you have entrants into your quick cycle thread. in march of 22 that provides some inspection potential. I need Lasse to build similar works using his method.

Reactions: LRT
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id love to hear what others have to report on it specific application ive described @Garf. Neon has gotten closest and observed same thing. About 95% of the time.
Objective reading and discussion is important. Im hearing none of it from the folks that want to dismiss without ever taking the time to read the charts and set up a tank to disprove.
I agree we will see differences. I dont think we will see a whole lot in small measured feedings though the charts and observances we have so far seem to be lining up pretty well in grand scheme of things.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone following along I hope your just as entertained as I am.

Certain members just for the sake of trolling are totally back on the subject of 100% denial and dismissal of other folks charted recordings and observations.
Without once even setting up a tank with a seneye to disprove any of it.
Thats dangerous especially when trying to get a significant point across to folks that there really is a better tool in our possession to help track ammonia out of our cycles alot more precisely.
Many of us have observed this. Its charted and been confirmed with other kits.
Not really entertained. More dismayed as to how you & brandon have elevated your “work threads” to equivancy of “peer reviewed”

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct im the one that said Cycle ammonia. Randy said test for Ammonia or Nitrates. Nitrates at 2ppm is of no significance whatsoever.
No - you are not the one that say cycle ammonia - you are the one that said that Randy state "cycle with ammonia"
You are the one that put your own ideas in an other persons mouth.

I´ll do this question to my own - please report me or answering it

You still repeat the same lie - no one have dismissed his Seneye readings - what - at least I have asked is if Seneye in reality is better to detect free ammonia compared with very expensive university testing gears. The claim on LOD for Seneye (done ny LRT/Brandon) is lower than most very expansive professional equipment - see my post #823

You just repeat lies after lies - how in heck should we believe anything that you write. you just trolling your own thread in order to have it closed and forgotten

Something else, a bit more specific from Randy;
Interesting - in the intake NH3 should be around 0.001 ppm NH3 if pH 8 (-> NH3 = 0.05*NH3+NH4 (total ammonia) ). Seneye should send their equipment to the institute - they should save a lot of money for the institute

For anyone following along I hope your just as entertained as I am.

Certain members just for the sake of trolling are totally back on the subject of 100% denial and dismissal of other folks charted recordings and observations.
Without once even setting up a tank with a seneye to disprove any of it.
Thats dangerous especially when trying to get a significant point across to folks that there really is a better tool in our possession to help track ammonia out of our cycles alot more precisely.
Many of us have observed this. Its charted and been confirmed with other kits.
Lies, danged lies and statistics again. No one has dismissed other folks charted recordings and observations . What I and others have point out is that especially NRT/Brandon´s interpretations of the results do not line up with science and approved knowledge. Further one - i have never dismissed the well known low acute toxicity in saltwater for nitrite contra fish - I propose nitrite measurements of other reasons than reason to control toxicity. I have not exact the same standpoint than Randy according two reasons expressed here - Both of us know that at least my number 4 can´t probably either be verified or unverified with our knowledge today - it is more an experience that I have that had create that point. The third point - verifying a complete nitrification cycle - i do not think we have any difference there - maybe about a seamless cycle is important or not in saltwater but not about a nitrite measurement will indicate a seamless transition or not. But this is not the same as I dismiss any important things he say. We do not have the same opinion as the other in a part there we in a significant way not have enough of scientific facts

its gotta be work threads against work threads for the race to interpreted patterning.
And as this thread show very clearly - works thread against science

ts neat you have entrants into your quick cycle thread. in march of 22 that provides some inspection potential. I need Lasse to build similar works using his method.
And why should I do that - everyone is free to use whatever - my 15 points is a method free to valuate if you want. It does not matter if anyone use it or not - I know it works - enough for me

Sincerely Lasse

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread has reached its expiration for today with a bazillion reports. We will discuss opening it again or not. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back